• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The Baabaas will drop the ball enough that Skelton will be able to find his breath during the stoppages.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The Baabaas will drop the ball enough that Skelton will be able to find his breath during the stoppages.

Not if we rest Slipper & Kepu. Suddenly the scrum is a lot weaker and his shove will be very important. I do think he needs to start at least once and this is the best opportunity.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not if we rest Slipper & Kepu. Suddenly the scrum is a lot weaker and his shove will be very important. I do think he needs to start at least once and this is the best opportunity.

I would really like to see Slipper and Kepu rested, but if I'm right, didn't we only take 5 props away. If that's so, then both of them cannot be rested for the one game (unless of course one sits on the bench for the full game). Looks like one of them will play all 5 games on tour. This could prove to be one of our Archilles Heels, along with lack of depth at No 15.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm excited by the prospect of genia and cooper back on the pitch in gold in form. I'm a huge fan of what Phipps/Foley have done (especially at the tahs) but c'mon now, they're no genia/cooper. If they are genuinely fit I would start them both v the baa baas. I'd also start some of the fringe forwards and give slipper, kepu and hooper a rest. Fardy is resting himself.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Genia will be pushing White for the bench spot for the tests but I can't see him moving back past Phipps before the end of the year. I agree with giving him the start against the Baa Baas though.

Phipps form has been awesome and the speed he's brought to the team hasn't been replicated by anyone else.

It's amazing that a guy considered one of the fittest in Australian rugby (certainly the fittest at the Tahs) can be running himself into the ground by about the 60 minute mark but Phipps is doing that.

El

Bob McCowan (2)
I think Genia will be pushing White for the bench spot for the tests but I can't see him moving back past Phipps before the end of the year. I agree with giving him the start against the Baa Baas though.

Phipps form has been awesome and the speed he's brought to the team hasn't been replicated by anyone else.

It's amazing that a guy considered one of the fittest in Australian rugby (certainly the fittest at the Tahs) can be running himself into the ground by about the 60 minute mark but Phipps is doing that.

100% agree. And yeah whites definitely got to go - genia needs that spot on the bench, he certainly deserves it

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Never thought I'd say it, but Phipps has earned the right to be first choice. His speed to the breakdown and clearance has been one of the reasons why we've improved in the last 12 months.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One of the Blades boys is scrum coach at Sydney University.
Not sure if it is the same Blades that is also Wobs Scrum coach.

Uni have certainly put some effort into Big Willie since he left school, and there is some work still to be done before he reaches his full potential.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The problem atm is the northern tour might not be enough. He may well get his scrummaging up to speed while there but without doing more work back at the tahs those skills will fall away again. That said I'll be surprised if cheika doesn't bring in a set piece coach for the tahs this year, particularly if one of his replacements for Douglas is going to be a league player. Just not sure who of that high quality will be available at this short notice.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Phipps had his best test against the ABs in Brisbane and I have to admit that he belongs at this level.
But he still does not have the all around skills of an in-form Will Genia. Playmaking, kicking, etc etc and all that Phipps has. I don't know if Genia will ever get back to his best or not, but there is no reason why not.
If he does we have him starting with Phipps injected around the 50-60 minute mark.
Win win?

Status
Not open for further replies.