• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Skelton wouldn't be as strong as some others. I'm certain of it. He's young and hasn't fully matured. The shove he provides won't be as strong as others. BUT, he's much bigger, so the resistance he provides to opposition shove will be greater.

Where the issue is that can be resolved the easiest, is his technique and getting into a position where he can provide the greatest resistance and use his strength the most effectively.

Improving his technique will be difficult, because his main strength, his size will make it harder than it would for others to get into the best position.

Provided that he is given adequate coaching you'd have to back him to improve. He has come a long way in his 2 years as a professional. I just don't think he will instantly pick up the technique. It will take time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Skelton wouldn't be as strong as some others. I'm certain of it. He's young and hasn't fully matured. The shove he provides won't be as strong as others. BUT, he's much bigger, so the resistance he provides to opposition shove will be greater.

Where the issue is that can be resolved the easiest, is his technique and getting into a position where he can provide the greatest resistance and use his strength the most effectively.

Improving his technique will be difficult, because his main strength, his size will make it harder than it would for others to get into the best position.

Provided that he is given adequate coaching you'd have to back him to improve. He has come a long way in his 2 years as a professional. I just don't think he will instantly pick up the technique. It will take time.

I don't think his scrummaging is going to be his biggest issue. I'd like to see some more smart decisions on the field, where he uses his size more effectively.

For example, I recall him man-handling a half-back half his size, I thought he could have easily held him up, turn it into a maul, and subsequently forced a turn-over. Instead he shook him around a bit and threw him to the ground. A dominate tackle but it could have easily been a turnover.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Size doesn't necessarily equal strength though

True but it is undeniable that the heavier you are the harder it will be to move you. Skelton has a good 20 kilos on our current starting 2nd rowers. He definitely needs to work on his technique but if you improve his technique he should, in theory, improve our scrum.

Much like Palu. I always thought our scrum looked more solid with Palu at the base because of the extra weight he added to the back. Palu has strong technique though, something Skelton needs to work on.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
With his bulk Skelton struggles to get down low enough with a flat back to transfer power through his prop. Flexibility and core strength are extremely important for a guy of Skelton's size, I'd say its those things he needs to work on to get his technique right. I don't think that Skelton is an asset at scrum time currently, but that's not saying he couldn't be in the future.

Carter and Simmons look like being our strongest scrummaging locks; actually, Simmons looks weirdly enough to be our best scrummaging lock and I never would have picked that a bit over a year ago.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
in what metric though? bench press/squat, impact in a tack or leg drive in a scrum/ruck/maul? when the equation involves momentum or force, mass is a multiplier

Inside the field, I have seen Timani do things that Skelton hasn't yet done. For example, against Argies in Rosario 2012, the team was devastated by injuries and everyone was saying that the Pumas forwards could crush our forwards but they couldn't against Timani.

Timani gave strength to our forward pack, while Skelton was easily controlled by Pumas forwards in Mendoza.

In rugby the strength of the lower body (legs) is more important than upper body strength. Timani has stronger legs than Skelton IMO

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I want to see Higgenbottom start every game of the tour, Obviously we need alot of players to stand up for us to improve but beneath Higgenbottoms inconsistent outings for the wallabies lies a World class back rower.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm more interested in how the opposition go in this game. Specifically a certain A. Thomson donning the black and white hoops. As a Reds supporter, I'm really interested to see how his form is heading into Super XV 2015.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Robinson
Fainga'a
Alexander
Skelton
Horwill
Higgers
Hooper
MCCalman
Genia
Cooper
Speight
Lilo
Kuridrani
Tomane
Folau

Hanson, Slipper, Kepu, Simmons, Jones, Phipps, Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
My team for the Bar Bars would be

Slips
Finger
Kepu
Simmions
Carter
Higgers
Hooper (c)
McCalmen
Phipps
Foley
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Lealifanio
The Fiji Beast
Speight
Izzy

I'd be going all guns blazing for the BarBars and wanting to put about 60 on them.

Speight is the only new guy and that's because I think he needs game time..

Cooper on at half time with Genia (I love White but Genia at his best is our best 9).

To'omua off the bench for CL, although toss up with how Chekia is thinking. I'd drop Alexander for the other THP I dont know his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.