• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tipping QC (Quade Cooper) to start. Foley has gone OK but generally is not considered a game breaker. Cooper has a very great backline to work with so no fucking excuses are acceptable.

Cooper has a great opportunity to take the 10 spot and actually make it his own. We'll see !!!!!!!

Genia should be on the pine behind Phipps. White has been average, some might even say poor.

Slipper, Hooper Izzy to get a rest at least from run-on, hopefully Keps as well. They have all played lots of footy and think they should be rested a bit for the coming tests.

Hope AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gets to captain this week.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Who thinks Chieka will try and have the same gameplans as the waratahs?
Given that it is a different tournament ( no bonus points for tries scored etc ) and he has different personell, will he simply try and impose the waratah plan on the wallabies?
What were his gameplans like when he coached in the Northern Hemisphere ?
The SMH think he should go all the way back to his playing days and impose a Randwick style on the Wallabies. They are also amazed that the tallship that took the team to England didn't fall offf the edge of the ocean.
I'm interested in how the strategies / gameplan will take shape.
I'm also curious to see if he will go for results straight away, or will try and build the style like he seemed to do at the Waratahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Given that it is a different tournament ( no bonus points for tries scored etc ) and he has different personell, will he simply try and impose the waratah plan on the wallabies?
The SMH think he should go all the way back to his playing days and impose a Randwick style on the Wallabies. They are also amazed that the tallship that took the team to England didn't fall offf the edge of the ocean.
I'm also curious to see if he will go for results straight away, or will try and build the style like he seemed to do at the Waratahs.

There isn't much difference between the Wobs in their last game and the Tahs game plan.

I expect/hope for a bit more physicality in the cleanout and more work to give the ball player options

I also expect lots of dropped balls

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yet the old ethos of rugby still survived, everybody shook hands and had a beer with the boys in the other team. The game was cleaner also.
Cleaner?
You are watching different games than me.
FFS the Tahs selected lidbury years ago as a bodyguard for the jumper.
Last year Gower in the SS punched someone that was intentionally keeping him from the play,and people wanted him crucified.
If punching is now despised,and rucking is just a memory,how was the game cleaner years ago ?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Cleaner?
You are watching different games than me.
FFS the Tahs selected lidbury years ago as a bodyguard for the jumper.
Last year Gower in the SS punched someone that was intentionally keeping him from the play,and people wanted him crucified.
If punching is now despised,and rucking is just a memory,how was the game cleaner years ago ?

Still catch myself yelling at the TV to slipper the bloke!
Why aren't sportsbet fielding on this game?
I have a very good felling (rare) and money in my account (rarer) and the buggers don't seem to be interested in getting some of it back.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

There's another very important difference: you cannot recruit to fill holes!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Article on this game on ESPN. It's an interview with the Honey Badger about lining up against his old mates. An entertaining read but this quote was probably the best.....

"I'll get to catch up with a few of the lads I used to play with too, and hopefully give them a bit of banter, and that'll be a real enjoyable time," Cummins told UK's Sports Magazine. "Even after the Baa-Baas beat them 32-15, we'll hopefully get out for a beer and tell a few stories. If the Wallabies are allowed to come out for a beer, that is…"

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/245735.html#9ZGjHwjIJmMxFuEQ.99

Monty

Frank Nicholson (4)
I live in London and am heading to the game this weekend. Im pretty bloody excited!

Going to make a day of it with friends - hit up a pub lunch in Putney for a feed and beers, then head out to the game for more beers and a Wallabies victory! Followed by afternoon beers in Twickenham and into the evening. Its going to be a cracker - cant wait!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Barbarians: 15 Tim Nanai-Williams, 14 Frank Halai, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Francis Saili, 11 Nick Cummins, 10 Colin Slade, 9 Tomás Cubelli, 8 Steven Luatua, 7 Matt Todd, 6 Adam Thomson, 5 Al Kellock, 4 Dominic Bird, 3 Angus Ta'avao, 2 James Parsons, 1 Matt Stevens.
Replacements: 16 Mahonri Schwalger, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Heinrich Brussow, 20 Matías Alemanno, 21 Sarel Pretorius, 22 Joaquín Tuculet, 23 Marnitz Boshoff.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I count 9 NZers in the run on team. Not the strongest Baabaas team ever, though. The bench isn't too hot as well, but it will be interesting to see Brussow get a run.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's just full of players who couldn't crack their nation's squad. Should be a comfortable win depending on the side put out.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
There isn't much difference between the Wobs in their last game and the Tahs game plan.

I expect/hope for a bit more physicality in the cleanout and more work to give the ball player options

I also expect lots of dropped balls

Yeah, the lads played an almost perfect match with the exception of the result. If they maintain that level will be unstoppable, I hope that this level isn't just for a game

There's another very important difference: you cannot recruit to fill holes!

But your squad is bigger and u have more players to pick

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah, the lads played an almost perfect match with the exception of the result. If they maintain that level will be unstoppable, I hope that this level isn't just for a game

But your squad is bigger and u have more players to pick

Quantity does not equal quality.
And if you have 9 locks who wouldn't play in another major country's run on test team the fact you have 10 locks to pick from aint going to help you much.

Status
Not open for further replies.