• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon Slipper, Hooper and Izzy will be rested - Hope Kepu is as well.

QC (Quade Cooper) and Genia to get a good run.. (well, hopefully)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
When I say "isn't showing it" above, I mean it wasn't listed in their programming at 1:30am. It doesn't specify what's on at 6:30 though.
I'm working on the premise that the 6:30 Rugby Special is the All Black V USA game.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
Soz for off topic, but whatever happened to the hybrid league rugby game that was mentioned earlier this year? I think it was the Quantas Wallabies vs some English side

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Soz for off topic, but whatever happened to the hybrid league rugby game that was mentioned earlier this year? I think it was the Quantas Wallabies vs some English side
The one booked for Wembley in December?

The answer is: Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

Also Quantas didn't need u so they changed their name to Qantas. :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's 1:30am Sydney time on Sunday morning (Foxtel coverage from 1:15am).

That would make it just after midnight Qld time.

Next week against Wales should be exactly the same timing.

The "Wallaby Spring Tour On Foxtel" promo I saw last night made no mention of the Barbarians but did say "starts November 9".

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Posted earlier from @RugbyReg, Thursday AM London time, so that will be Thursday evening / night Sydney time.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Reckon Slipper, Hooper and Izzy will be rested - Hope Kepu is as well.

I don't think I'd rest the captain. You need some stability in the pack if you're going to bench Slipper and Kepu. It would be interesting if Cheika opted to appoint a new captain in his first game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be surprised if too many players are rested if any.

It's Cheika's first game as coach with one of the two biggest games on tour the following week.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Run out the first team, try to rack up a big score early, then bring on the subs at half time would be the way to go I'd reckon

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Run out the first team, try to rack up a big score early, then bring on the subs at half time would be the way to go I'd reckon

Although I'd be starting with Cooper and give him the chance to play himself into the starting XV next game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Although I'd be starting with Cooper and give him the chance to play himself into the starting XV next game.

It depends what Cheika's plan is though.

Unless he's looking to drop Foley for the following week from the starting team it seems highly unlikely that he would start Cooper over Foley against the Barbarians.

My guess is that Foley will start and he'll be looking to give Cooper plenty of minutes off the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can't rest two props unless someone is flown over.

As much as I love Sean being over there, PAE, or Weeks, or even Cowan would have been better.

I've been banging on about the shortage of props in the squad for a few pages now. It is a fact that one of Kepu or Slipper will have to at least be on the bench and therefore may be required to play because there are only five props in the team.

Glad to see someone else has also picked up on this issue.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if one of the reasons they only took 5 props on tour is because Sio is considered comfortably the next best and he's still injured.

Still, outside of our starting props it not at all clear what the exact pecking order should be. Alexander in particular seems to have lost his dynamic play round the field which was always his greatest strength.

The onus at this point should certainly be to find a reserve scrum that is as strong as possible. It seems to me that our reserve props are more likely to win or lose us a game because of their scrummaging rather than their play around the field.

Slipper and Kepu are an easy choice because they seem to be comfortably our strongest combination both at scrum time and in general play. Was Kepu 6th in the JEM? Surely we've never had our whole first choice front row make the top 6. Amazing stuff.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cooper was 6th I thought on 94 points, Moore 5th on 98, but I could be wrong and there could be another player between them.

It's actually not easy to find what all the points for the JEM are, apart from the top 5 being published in some reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.