• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England in Melbourne, 18 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
well that was they way they were training when i watched yesterday and as reported in the Australian this morning

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
OK I've got my head around it now.

The starting front row had to happen, not sure that Sio needed to be dropped completely though, is he injured maybe?

Carter and Arnold work together, plus as slim points out the entire lineout thrower and jumpers are all Brumbies (excluding up the back).

McMahon's selection confirms that the 'dual 7s' concept is a new footprint of Aussie rugby that is here to stay for a while. For those concerned about his lack of experience at 8, the only real skill that differs from that of a flanker (in the scrum) is controlling the ball at the back of a scrum if you're going for a pushover....I can't really see that happening! It's a slightly different defensive read too but he'll be fine there.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Far out I am Gee'd up to see what unleashing McMahon can do to the poms. You'd hope Hooper will be told to be more involved with the rucks either through pilfering or just slowing it down while Sean takes more of the running role?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Surely it has to be

4. Horwill or Carter

19. Skelton

The only contentious decision is Horwill v Carter and I think there isn't a clear winner either way. Both call and jump in lineouts competently but not as good as Simmo (though Horwill has the recent experience dealing with the Saracens boys Kruis and Itoje in that space). Horwill possibly has been recognised as stronger scrummager but Carter is very used to packing with Arnold, Moore and Sio in a strong Brums scrum this season. Both can be relied on to tackle their hearts out. Both carry OK but not great (Carter's poor hands and Horwill's lack of speed are issues).

I think it would make good sense for us to have a bruiser on the bench, my preference would be to use Skelton in this role rather than Palu.....

Personally I wouldn't have Carter or Skelton in the top 30 ATM, Skelton's not anywhere near test standard fitness and Carter's form this year leaves much to be desired. If Palu can, somehow, be persuaded to put in 50 minutes like he did against the Chiefs he should be selected. In this regard I think Cheika's the man.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
OK I've got my head around it now.

The starting front row had to happen, not sure that Sio needed to be dropped completely though, is he injured maybe?

Carter and Arnold work together, plus as slim points out the entire lineout thrower and jumpers are all Brumbies (excluding up the back).

McMahon's selection confirms that the 'dual 7s' concept is a new footprint of Aussie rugby that is here to stay for a while. For those concerned about his lack of experience at 8, the only real skill that differs from that of a flanker (in the scrum) is controlling the ball at the back of a scrum if you're going for a pushover..I can't really see that happening! It's a slightly different defensive read too but he'll be fine there.
There's more to being an 8 than that.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sio had to go. Even if he is better than Slipper (marginal call in the last two years), you have to play to the ref a bit and this may well save us six points. Disagree with dropping him entirely, and definitely think Holmes should have stayed on at tighthead.
Carter is in to win the lineouts for us, I guess? Someone has to channel that 2013-Mowen success rate, might as well be Carter. Can't hurt to have his combo with Moore, Arnold, and Fardy. Would have preferred Horwill.
McMahon is a mistake; Cheika seems to have tricked himself into thinking the Pooper works because of how we play, not because of the complimentary mass of talent in the two players. Will be happy to be proven wrong.
Unchanged backline is infuriating.
Frisby, Lilo, and Morahan all stay on the bench. Probably drops Mumm, Palu, and Gill.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Based off that purported lineup, I am apprehensive about the selection of Carter, and McMahon's inclusion alongside Hooper.

I agree that we need to go with our point of difference - that being speeding up the game - rather than play a heavy backrow/pack, but I'm not confident that this configuration can get ascendancy over the Poms.

Happy to be proven wrong though come Saturday.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Front row: Experienced, canny, tough, can run the ball.

Second row: One guy who can't carry the ball securely, and another guy who got isolated repeatedly last week. Let's hope they stick to covering rucks

Back row: A bit light given what we lose in ruck nous. McMahon is a great kid but I thought the balance would have been better with McCalman or Palu.

Looks like Cheika is going to bring heavy artillery out late in the game to try and finish off a game at pace.

6-2 bench likely with that setup.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Surely this has to be the test where we can get a firm measurement of McMahon as a test player? Not coming off the bench, not playing a lower-tier nation or the BaaBaas, but stern Tier 1 test opposition.

Will be interesting to see how he goes (not that I'll know anytime soon, going to be at a music festival until Monday - cya!)

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Not a fan at all of that forward selection. Sio deserves to be on the bench, Slipper starting is logical. Happy with either Kepu or Holmes but would have stuck with Holmes. Would have started Horwill (Carter has never impressed me). Don't mind the selection of McMahon, will be interesting to see how he goes. We definitely miss a massive part of our success against England last year though by not having a pilferer - 100% would have had Gill.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Far out I am Gee'd up to see what unleashing McMahon can do to the poms. You'd hope Hooper will be told to be more involved with the rucks either through pilfering or just slowing it down while Sean takes more of the running role?

He was 'unleashed' last week against a tiring opposition with no impact at all. I'm not sure why we expect him to suddenly have more impact against fresh opposition.

McMahon is a disappointing choice for me. I expect the English to target him in contact and try and hold him up and/or go for a turnover. He runs like a madman with the right attitude but the wrong body height and his frame unfortunately doesn't match his rampaging attitude. (we need to put his mind into Palu's body).

Carter is a strange choice too, didn't think his form was too good, Horwill was solid.

Dropping Sio completely is also a big surprise, Not sure Toby Smith is a safe option - Sio offers so much more and I bet he will be pumped up to make amends. I would have kept him on the bench.

I see Cheika's choices as prioritising mobility. Carter and McMahon are fit and move around the park a lot, given the width we are playing the game he needs players who can get to rucks quick. That is only reason I can see Carter over Horwill and McMahon over Palu/McCalman.

Status
Not open for further replies.