• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England in Melbourne, 18 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Cheika is the forwards coach and Ledesma is the set piece coach. Other than that I would hire Jonny Wilkinson as a kicking and skills coach, and poach Dean Benton from the poms as a fitness coach (and head trainer).

IIRC Benton and Cheiks were frenemies in 2014 when the latter made comments on the Brums fitness levels which DB was in charge of? He then ended up helping the Wallabies pre-RWC last year after which Eddie poached him!

Mick Byrnes is on the record as not ruling out being part of the Wallabies set up- saying so earlier this year. Am sure it's all budget. But if not him why not even 'blood' a recent AFL retiree to play the same role? Might be a tad less coin.

I've said it before but I always wondered why former legends don't take up a short term gig with the Wallabies like a Mark Ella or Campese for things like skills, etc?

As for Austrian coaches, Schwarzenegger for strength training perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
IIRC Benton and Cheiks were frenemies in 2014 when the latter made comments on the Brums fitness levels which DB was in charge of? He then ended up helping the Wallabies pre-RWC last year after which Eddie poached him!

Mick Byrnes is on the record as not ruling out being part of the Wallabies set up- saying so earlier this year. Am sure it's all budget. But if not him why not even 'blood' a recent AFL retiree to play the same role? Might be a tad less coin.

I've said it before but I always wondered why former legends don't take up a short term gig with the Wallabies like a Mark Ella or Campese for things like skills, etc?

As for Austrian coaches, Schwarzenegger for strength training perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campo for Defence Coach

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It happens. Our wins against Wales in the 2015 RWC and South Africa in the 2011 RWC would have had similar stats against us.
I do remember the SAF game. The stats were in their favour but weren't nearly as one sided and pocock dominated the breakdown.
Can't recall the Wales stats.
It happens, but rarely to the same extent and anecdotally more often to us. I think that reflects our discipline and history of kicking keeping the score line closer in games we are dominant.
But that's just my opinion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I do remember the SAF game. The stats were in their favour but weren't nearly as one sided and pocock dominated the breakdown.
Can't recall the Wales stats.
It happens, but rarely to the same extent and anecdotally more often to us. I think that reflects our discipline and history of kicking keeping the score line closer in games we are dominant.
But that's just my opinion.

Australia v South Africa in the 2011 RWC, South Africa had 67% possession and 75% territory.

Pocock turned the ball over several times but didn't generate many penalties (penalty count was 5-4 in favour of South Africa).

For all Pocock's domination at the breakdown, South Africa's ruck success was 115/128 for 89.8% vs 45/52 for 86.5% to us.

Undoubtedly Pocock played one of the all time great games and helped us snatch an unlikely victory. That game was more one sided than this test.

Pocock stole the ball a bunch of times but mostly that was when we were under immense pressure in our 22 and just provided a bit of respite for us to kick it away back towards half way.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Some tough questions

Is Sio benched? would Slipper deal better with Cole's set up?
Yes. Better to be safe then sorry, we don't want to tarnish Sio's reputation any further if Cole outsmarts him again. I was surpised Slipper didn't start anyway given super xv form.

Do we swap Kepu for Holmes? Holmes did OK, but Kepu adds more running threat Yes. I think Holmes scrapped through because of Kepu's limited time with the squad. I think Kepu is better is all aspects of play, bar Holmes slightly better at set-peice.

Will Simmons be healthy?
Doesn't look likely. Horwill should be his replacement

Who replaces Pocock? So we had Fardy & Hooper playing wide for the next ruck and Pocock on the ball (a lot like the ABs play actually) Gill is the like for like replacement if we want a pest or McMahon. Or do we go for a more direct, classic 8 and budget 40 minutes of aggressive from Palu
Palu or McCalman the most likely inclusion IMO. We need big bodies who can move players in rucks more-so then turnovers at this stage.

Who plays 12? The backs were pushed out with Horne's injury and I don't think Lilo functions well against rush defenses. Give Kerevi another run? He showed soft hands, but needs deeper, more direct support runners.
This is a tough one. I'd probably stick with Kerevi given how good our back-line was and how poor Lilo's super xv form is.

Will Horne be right and who would replace him?
I hope Morahan replaces him. We need a player with speed. He's probably the fastest and most experienced available next. Naya is just another Kerevi and Kuridrani. Who else is there?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Will Horne be right and who would replace him?
I hope Morahan replaces him. We need a player with speed. He's probably the fastest and most experienced available next. Naya is just another Kerevi and Kuridrani. Who else is there?

Apparently Horne will be fine for the 2nd test

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I suspect there won't be any more of this?

Should be more of it. It speaks better of us as a society that we prefer people hamming it up to the industrial-strength moaning that Stephen Jones and Brian Moore et al use to sell papers.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I don't think we need bigger bodies against England in the backrow. We should be playing our up-tempo, wider game through the backrow. Personally I'd bring in Gill to keep having the threat of a true scavenger since that's just not Hooper's game, and keep McMahon as an energizer bunny off the bench (he needs a good 20 - 25 minutes though, not 10).

If a traditional no. 8 were the go, McCalman would be my pick over Palu anyway - Palu hasn't been effective in a test match for the best part of this decade.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought the new concussion rules meant if you suffered a concussion you were automatically out for a week.

No. The Graduated Return to Play programme doesn't specify that.

It is entirely related to symptoms experienced and could take a matter of days to be fit and available or it could take more than a month (see Charlie Ngatai currently).

In very general terms, players who have had less concussions recover faster.

You'd assume Horne had no symptoms the next day at rest and was able to start the programme of doing light exercise (again presumably with no symptoms).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I thought the new concussion rules meant if you suffered a concussion you were automatically out for a week.

I thought that if a player received a knock the player had to undergo a concussion test straight away and if he fails he cannot resume THAT game.

Then. at the end of the game, another test is conducted and if he fails that one then is out for the following game.

Have the rules changed ???????

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I thought that if a player received a knock the player had to undergo a concussion test straight away and if he fails he cannot resume THAT game.

Then. at the end of the game, another test is conducted and if he fails that one then is out for the following game.

Have the rules changed ???????

Sounds like he passed the test following the game then. I'm not sure what the rules are but most articles in the news specify he is a possibility to play.

I'm betting he will be in the starting team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Graduated Return to Play programme:

1. Minimum rest period - Complete body and brain rest without symptoms Recovery

2. Light aerobic exercise - Light jogging for 10-15 minutes, swimming or stationary cycling at low to moderate intensity. No resistance training. Symptom free during full 24-hour period Increase heart rate

3. Sport-specific exercise - Running drills. No head impact activities Add movement

4. Non-contact training drills - Progression to more complex training drills, e.g. passing drills. May start progressive resistance training Exercise, coordination, and cognitive load

5. Full contact practice - Normal training activities Restore confidence and assess functional skills by coaching staff

6. Return to play - Player rehabilitated Recover

Each stage takes a minimum of 24 hours.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Understand all that BH

BUT who adjudicates when the program starts. In other words when is a player deemed to be "concussed"

Am I wrong with my take in my earlier post ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Understand all that BH

BUT who adjudicates when the program starts. In other words when is a player deemed to be "concussed"

Am I wrong with my take in my earlier post ?

The neutral doctor at the ground does the initial assessment and this is the one that found Horne was concussed and ruled him out for the match. At that point he enters the GRTP programme.

He then needs to be symptom free for 24 hours before he can move onto the second stage of light aerobic exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.