• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Fiji, 3pm Sat 10th June, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BLR

So, is a boycott the explanation for the crowd or is it extension of the poor Rebels crowds? A boycott makes sense if the Rebels were getting sell outs, but they aren't. Boycott sounds like a cop out to explain the fact no one wanted to go. No matter to opposition the supposed sporting capital of the world should be doing better.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
No, their angst is all understandable, according to them, and a few others.

Interestingly enough, their noses are still out of joint about losing out to the Force when we went from three to four franchises. I was told, by somebody very close to the decision-making, that the VRU took it for granted that they would walk it in, and treated the submission process as a bit of a joke.
WA walked all over them, in every way, they put forward a much more compelling bid.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes my team isn't on the chopping block, however I am not going to the Wallabies v Italy game to to show my support to Pulver and the ARU, I'm going because I like watching my favourite players (Higs, Hunt, Quade, Genia & Coleman) play in person. No one gets the opportunity to see their local stars and their favourite players represent their country very often, seems crazy to me that my dissapointment in the operational administrative decisions of the ARU board members should take priority.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Riveting match against a second tier side.

Chek on the winning bandwagon so all can be comfortable

Hunt good as was Speight and Folau. Robertson just shouldn't be in the side and Squeak should retire forthwith

Our play certainly didn't fill me with confidence for the AB' matches. We need to be a LOT better, even at this early stage.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If the ARU is cutting a team because of their financial position, boycotting test matches, making the financial position worse, is only going to make it more like that a team is cut isn't it?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
So, is a boycott the explanation for the crowd or is it extension of the poor Rebels crowds? A boycott makes sense if the Rebels were getting sell outs, but they aren't. Boycott sounds like a cop out to explain the fact no one wanted to go. No matter to opposition the supposed sporting capital of the world should be doing better.
multifactorial i think, partly Rebels fans pissed off, partly lack of exposure outside of the rugby community, partly sat afternoon in (some) competition with local rugby, partly a long weekend, partly the opposition - perfect storm. i didn't see a single advert for the game, anywhere. i didn't go for a number of reasons but the ARU's handling of the culling process didn't help.

No, their angst is all understandable

Interestingly enough, their noses are still out of joint about losing out to the Force when we went from three to four franchises. I was told, by somebody very close to the decision-making, that the VRU took it for granted that they would walk it in, and treated the submission process as a bit of a joke.
WA walked all over them, in every way, they put forward a much more compelling bid.
yes it is; yes, for some; yes, some of them did (despite advice); yes they did. the initial bid was lacklustre in the extreme and the state government, far to late to get on board, did much too little when they did.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck !!!!!
It's not all about Rebel fans not attending (because their team may get cut).

It runs deeper than that and for varied reasons the disenchantment is widespread.

Normally I and 3 of my family would have flown to Melbourne, spent $600 - $800 on accommodation, another few hundred on food & drink, purchased tickets for the game etc etc.. I probably would have injected $3,000+ into the economy for this one game, but I didn't.

I think there are quite a few Australian rugby supporters who feel the same way and that is truly a shame.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
These tactics worked against an opposition who struggled despite having 57% Possession and 63% Territory.

A substantial part of the reason why Fiji had so much possession and territory is that they did little with it.

They could generate a good number of phases when taking little risk but certainly couldn't create good inroads into our defence.

Meanwhile, we managed to score five tries without accruing a huge possession and territory share as we were fairly efficient in turning opportunities into points.

Our run metres were higher than Fiji's which is quite telling considering we were on the losing end of both territory and possession.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That's exactly what I "heard" some time ago.

Personally and IMO, Toby has gone up even further, not as a rugby player but as a Dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.