• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France 1st test - Suncorp 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Good to see players still swap jumpers after a Test Match. From Sterlo's twitter feed:
Bpk6DXsCcAERqW4.jpg

Interesting to note that he swapped with the French 13, not his opposition winger!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Rose coloured glasses Sully. Lineout jumpers get penalised every game for precisely what Rob did then, and does consistently probably every game.

yeh the refs are really strict on that rule these days. second rowers should know by now that the slightest contact in the air could be penalised. Simmons competes in the line-out more than most locks, so its going to happen, but its something he needs to focus on cutting out of his game.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Horwill didnt really impress when he came on but pretty hard to properly rate his performance in the circumstance. he came on with less then 20 minutes to go with the game already won. the team got a bit sloppy in that last 10 minutes when they knew theyd won the game

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The French website l'equipe has been particularly harsh on the huge defeat in Brisbane and named it in their Top 5 humiliations of Southern Hemisphere tours... Thanks to @pfitzy on twitter for the spot and Google translate for the translation

France.png

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Congratulations to Michael Hooper and James Slipper on their elevation to (C) and (VC)! Will we see a haircut and elevated socks from our new leader?!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Which prop got pinged for obstruction? I can't remember. Then look at the French receiving from the very next kick off. The hooker wasn't even lifting and obstructed our guys.

Difference is their jumper doesn't move the ball backwards or either runs it themselves before contact. You can have obstruction on the side of you.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The French hooker was in front of the catcher unbound.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon that this will just reflect on Brisbane more than anything, as it's looking like they'll close to fill the SFS in Sydney for their test. Perhaps it'll just mean that in future they just won't take these games to Brisbane, but rather somewhere else.
You've referenced queenslanders as being the problem a few times in your many posts on the topic whilst talking up how the Sydney test will come close to selling out.
It's getting a bit rich.
We had one poorly attended test of which there are numerous sound reasons that have been discussed but I guess you should never miss an opportunity for some point scoring against those north of the tweed hey.
The rugby crowds in Sydney are historically pretty poor so those in glass houses and all that mate. Give it a rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
On the playing surface at Suncorp I have read there are two big problems. One has always existed and that is that the surface does not get enough sun. For a while they were investigating a system that used mirrors to increase the sun hours but nothing has been implemented.
The (relatively) newer problem is the damage from the 2011 floods. The undersurface drainage is pretty much fucked and that is the big problem. There is not a big enough window of time to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gel

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah it's that northern end (where wallabies were running to in the 2nd half) that lives off basically no sun. I've never been to a concert there but believe they put most of them down that end as they are happy to replace the turf as often as they can.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
5. Slipper was immense. Some posters are calling for him at THP to fix the problem. Thats bullshit - he is playing unbelieveable well at LHP - solution: find a good THP. - Was a bit disappointed with Kepu and Ryan was just not up to it.

7. One of the most pleasing things to me was the unselfish passing by Izzy to Pat McCabe. Izzy would have scored the try but elected to pass. That to me shows a real team mentality.

What are our other options for THP right here right now?

I think izzy could have scored when he layed the ball off to cummins as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
yeh the refs are really strict on that rule these days. second rowers should know by now that the slightest contact in the air could be penalised. Simmons competes in the line-out more than most locks, so its going to happen, but its something he needs to focus on cutting out of his game.

It seems to me that Rob tries to see how far he can go in the first lineout of the day, a bit like McCaw coming in from the wrong side, handling the ball on the deck or nor releasing the tackled player in the early rucks to see if the Ref is on to him. Only problem with Rob is that he doesn't have Richie's cloak of invisibility. I am always amused at the look of disbelief and confusion that comes over Rob's face when he inevitably gets pinged.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What are our other options for THP right here right now?

I think izzy could have scored when he layed the ball off to cummins as well.

Until Alexander returns (fuck knows) probably only Laurie Weekes. Kepu will probably get the gig again but I think Ryan is gone. Ryan better than laurie around paddock but the first job of a THP is the scrum

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And, as I've pointed out elsewhere - that last scrum was not Ryan's fault alone. He has had an up and down Super season but as we've seen, Link places a bit more emphasis on general play than scrum because of the simple statistics of it.

The last 35 minutes that Ryan was on, there were three scrums. None of them were completed, but it was 3-5 minutes' play at scrum time versus 30 that weren't.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the game hadn't been over, I highly doubt Joubert would have given a penalty try so quickly at the end.

If the game was on the line there's no way that final scrum goes from nothing to a penalty try. No referee would do that.

Ryan didn't do well in the scrum, but I also don't think Link will be crucifying him for that final scrum. He was selected knowing there were issues with his scrummaging and that is still the case. I expect he'll be on the bench again this week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting to note that he swapped with the French 13, not his opposition winger!

It is interesting.

Assuming it was instigated by the French player, you can understand the French outside centre wanting to exchange jerseys with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) rather than Kuridrani even though AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wasn't playing 13.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I always wonder with these walking forward penalties that Ryan got done for. Just how much is Ryan and how much is it the opposing Hooker and LHP not taking the weight

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
If the game was on the line there's no way that final scrum goes from nothing to a penalty try. No referee would do that.

I don't understand it at all - there were no warnings, it wasn't like the French had a head of steam up and were motoring to the try line, it really baffles me.

Status
Not open for further replies.