• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Saturday 16th June, 8.00pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Call this Kiwi game off now and get the wallabies on early! I hope the refs don't ruin the game tonight. I'd be wanting my $$ if I was in Wellington, had a taste of how good a test match was on offer and then had it ruined in the 12 minute.

Ben Skeen is the TMO again, so he can seemingly destroy a game without even getting on the field.

Apart from engineering last week's fiasco from the TMO box, he has prior form. A man clearly desperate to put his stamp on the game - even though he's supposed to play an advisory role. The final play of the 1st test saw Ireland denied a fair try because apparently the technology the Skeen had saw a knock on that nobody else saw. Add to the farcical no-try decision on the basis of a minor tackle off the ball (not card worthy, so why TMO involvement). Sad that an individual was such a minor role can have such a negative influence on the game.

But if this match is remembered for anything, it'll be the contribution of Television Match Official Ben Skeen. His influence was significant; not just in overturning two Vince Aso tries but in adjudicating a lot of the running play, rather than referee Jamie Nutbrown.

From Huuricanes v Sunwolves; take it away Chris Boyd (Hurricanes coach)

"From an adjudication point of view, I don't think the game flowed at all," said Boyd.
"From the interjections of the TMO, which were probably mostly right, it didn't flow. I think they were being ultra-hard in some of their decisions which brought the game a lot to a stop-start.
"If you look at that performance, I think the referee was a significant part of the way the game played out. Where, when the game controls the referee, rather than the other way around, I think you get a better result."

Penalties, knock-ons, you name it. A lot of them were actually ruled upon by the man upstairs instead of Nutbrown.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...nce-of-referees-in-scrappy-win-over-sunwolves

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Spot on Quick Hands! I know it's poor form to be bagging referees but I absolutely agree that too many good games are being ruined by officials and TMOs. I'd rather see the wallabies go down narrowly in a great contest tonight than to see them win against 14 men. It's a little tough to get a handle on how good the kiwis are travelling given the series has been dominated by poor referee decisions.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Spot on Quick Hands! I know it's poor form to be bagging referees but I absolutely agree that too many good games are being ruined by officials and TMOs. I'd rather see the wallabies go down narrowly in a great contest tonight than to see them win against 14 men. It's a little tough to get a handle on how good the kiwis are travelling given the series has been dominated by poor referee decisions.

World Rugby have given the TMO far too much to do. IMO they should adjudicate on the actual action of scoring a try and cardable foul play offences only.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
World Rugby have given the TMO far too much to do. IMO they should adjudicate on the actual action of scoring a try and cardable foul play offences only.

I'm not comfortable that was a red card tonight. It ended in an ugly way but I'm not convinced the French player wasn't contesting the ball. He was actually tripped on his way to the contest and had eyes for the ball. I'd be comfortable with a penalty or yellow at best. Could have been a great game.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
TMO id fuck them off completely and the video replay etc. go back to the first law - “ the referee is the SOLE arbiter of fact”. yeah the will make mistakes some of them howlers but the current situation is far worse imo .

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
TMO id fuck them off completely and the video replay etc. go back to the first law - “ the referee is the SOLE arbiter of fact”. yeah the will make mistakes some of them howlers but the current situation is far worse imo .

Can't disagree.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can we wait until after the match to complain about the ref?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.