• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy Take 2 - changes a bloody plenty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
If it is a drift then it's Barnes' fault as he patently takes Gower the 10.

I'm not convinced it is a drift situation though, as only Gower is going cross-field. The threat coming from deep is definitely not drifting either.

If Barnes leaves Gower go in favour of the 12 and QC (Quade Cooper) drifts to 13, you've got a ball-runner (Gower) 'unmarked' at the line on the outside of the back-row and 9.

It's a good move well executed and no coincidence it's aimed at QC (Quade Cooper), even though I don't think he's wholly at fault.

It all starts from about 3:20 below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgZEdKnFxGY

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gagger said:
If it is a drift then it's Barnes' fault as he patently takes Gower the 10.

I'm not convinced it is a drift situation though, as only Gower is going cross-field. The threat coming from deep is definitely not drifting either.

If Barnes leaves Gower go in favour of the 12 and QC (Quade Cooper) drifts to 13, you've got a ball-runner (Gower) 'unmarked' at the line on the outside of the back-row and 9.

It's a good move well executed and no coincidence it's aimed at QC (Quade Cooper), even though I don't think he's wholly at fault.

It all starts from about 3:20 below

Drift defence isnt dependent on the attackers drifting so it doesnt matter what the deep runners are doing. Drift defence gives the defence an extra man to pick up the extra runner. That is its reason for being.

Barnes takes Gower because Gower runs into his channel which is covering the second man after the set piece. The reason Gower becomes the second man is because he runs past the 12 who is going back inside. So, the 12 becomes the first man and fodder for the backrow. Gower becomes the 2nd man and therefore Barnes' man. The third man should be QC (Quade Cooper)'s man but he doesnt drift enough and gets beaten on the outside. Cross sees that QC (Quade Cooper) hasnt drifted and so holds his drift a little and gets beaten on the inside. Its definitely QCs fault.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
There has been a big change in the Wobb's defensive patterns since Deans took over. A few panicked early, since we leaked more points than we were used to. It seems to be coming good now, but hasn't achieved what I thought it was designed to do - facilitate the counter attack.

Any comments on that? Or anyone want to write an article on Wallaby defence for the blog?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I woke up this morning in a cold sweat, having dreamed that I'd somehow found myself sticking up for Quade Cooper's defensive capabilities........

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
All our defence questions answered:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25702847-5016959,00.html

Stout defense proving the key to Wallabies early-season success

By Darren Walton
June 28, 2009

The Wallabies have credited the coaching smarts of Robbie Deans for implementing a vault-like defensive system which they hope will prove the cornerstone of a triumphant Tri Nations campaign.
Although they have piled on 19 tries in four internationals so far this winter, despite the attack yet to even hit top gear, steely defence has been the cornerstone of the side’s early-season success.

Under former rugby league international John Muggleton, the Wallabies were respected as arguably the premier defensive side in world rugby for the best part of a decade.

Deans, though, completely dismantled Muggleton's system when he took charge last year, preferring a more instinctive approach based on bodies in motion, and the Wallabies agree it is starting to pay dividends.

“I'm not privy to what was happening before. It doesn't really concern me. There's numerous ways of going about it,'' Deans said.

“It's just a matter of keeping yourself alive and keeping yourself active.

“The critical thing is the collective understanding - or collective will first and foremost because, if you don't have a will and a want to defend, it just doesn't happen.

“It is, for us, very much a matter of keeping yourself alive, keeping yourself active, keeping yourself aware and tying in with your mates.

“It's nothing more complex than that.''

Centre Berrick Barnes, a pivotal figure in the new defensive structure, says the Deans way is a breath of fresh air.

“We've become so programmed in our rugby in probably the last 10 years or so - everything was a programmed response and now under Robbie we're playing what's in front of us, not only in attack but trying to do that in defence and it's certainly helping,'' Barnes said.

“Playing to what they're showing you, you don't actually have to have a set routine. You've just got to match them.

“There's no great science to it. It's just simple. It's using your eyes and using what's in front of you.''

Deans even predicts the improved defence will also lead to improved attack for the Wallabies.

“As our confidence and our belief in our defence improves, we will just settle a bit more and we'll start to turn some of that (attacking) pressure that we're building into points,'' he said.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
“It's just a matter of keeping yourself alive and keeping yourself active.

“The critical thing is the collective understanding - or collective will first and foremost because, if you don't have a will and a want to defend, it just doesn't happen.

“It is, for us, very much a matter of keeping yourself alive, keeping yourself active, keeping yourself aware and tying in with your mates.

“It's nothing more complex than that.''

New nickname: The Ruddler

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I wonder what kind of sweep the coaching staff have going with the players about who can make the most outrageous comment of the week and get it into the papers :nta: Sounds to me like they're just fucking with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.