• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy Take 2 - changes a bloody plenty

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Gagger said:
I've been persuaded with the spreading the experience argument, but please, can we stop the

"we don't need to be good in the tight, we'll just run them ragged" crap.

Have we learned nothing from the Jones era and a certain RWC QF in 2007?

You must be new here.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
naza said:
Gagger said:
I've been persuaded with the spreading the experience argument, but please, can we stop the

You must be new here.

Or as this guy says - " I know nuuuuthinnk!"
cc5e6b8854_germ03062008.jpg

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Scarfman said:
Nahh, I'm sticking with "wow" and "oh shit." Not everything Deans does is sensible.

The Iti scrum will hammer us. Lucky for us, their lineout sucks, so we'll be competitive.

I hate this team. Absolutely hate it, and I hope we lose. There, I've said it.

I'm new here, but I really can't understand why any Wallabies fan would hope we lose a game because they disagree with the selections. But then, I guess you don't really mean it, and it is simply borne out of frustration with a selection policy that is not the same as you would have done. :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Groucho said:
I'm new here, but I really can't understand why any Wallabies fan would hope we lose a game because they disagree with the selections. But then, I guess you don't really mean it, and it is simply borne out of frustration with a selection policy that is not the same as you would have done. :)
Nah, Scarfy is a hater!!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
cyclopath said:
Groucho said:
Nah, Scarfy is a hater!!

:lmao: need those haters!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
naza said:
Gagger said:

You must be new here.

Or as this guy says - " I know nuuuuthinnk!"
cc5e6b8854_germ03062008.jpg

More like
groundhog_day.jpg

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Seems that George Smith has shrunk.... original article here

And a screenshot, in case they fix it

Attachments

• smh.JPG
    smh.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 123

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
cyclopath said:
Groucho said:
Nah, Scarfy is a hater!!

Sometimes a small loss can prevent a larger one. Ask Churchill.

If the Wallabies lose, then we won't see any more of this feeble everyone-change-places selection.

Having said that, the Italian team suggests that this is not going to be a terribly serious test match.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
For this test the Eyeties are also doing a Deans in an attempt to see if the nearly-theres are good enough for future selection; Mallett wants his players either tested or best players rested for the ABs match next week. This is the reason the Bergamasco brothers aren't running around tonight, they need a rest.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I don't see the point of that. Make the second stringer's feel bad about how much worse they are than the incumbents? Lose momentum, combinations?

Kill rotation now.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nup. I'm the opposite. Great for JOC (James O'Connor) to see something a bit closer resembling test footy. Where he doesn't score tries at will. Where doesn't make breaks with each touch.

Great for Quade to see he can put some faith in those around him and doesn't have top try to do it all himself.

Great for Pocock to see what a pro George Smith and how he can sustain his performances regardless of who or where he plays.

Great for the front row to realise scrummaging is still the key.

R

Richard D. James

Hey everyone!

I'm with Noddy on this one.

It obviously wasn't a vintage performance, but we've got two rookie front rowers who now have 80 minutes of test Rugby under their belt. Sure there were some dodgy scrums, but there were also a couple of good ones from the boys so there are positives.

We've got Barnes with 80 minutes of test experience at flyhalf in case Gits ever goes down (which will happen, it's inevitable).

Rabbit has learnt that test Rugby is not the cakewalk it seemed like in the first test.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has shown once again why he is an excellent impact player (If Gits goes down I wouldn't mind seeing a Barnes/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 10/12 combo. Just look at the Baa Baas game last year for evidence of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s ability at 12)

QC (Quade Cooper), while not playing great, will be better off for the game time and I have no doubt Deans will be able to coach him to underplay his hand more and, as Noddy said, not try to do everything himself like he does at the Reds.

I wasn't hugely confident going into this test with such an experimental side, yet we barely made a substitution and still won 5 tries to nil. Depth at test level has always been a problem for us and we finally have a coach who has the balls needed to blood young players at this level. Bring it on I say.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Are you welsh at all RDJ? We need more Welsh on this board.

Why was it helpful for Rabbit to lose confidence? Maybe if he went into the Trinations feeling like he could slay 'em dead, that would be a good thing.

I reckon the odd 20 minutes here and there is enough for these experiments. I really feel that (1) momentum, and (2) hard graft are lost in this kind of thing.

Plus, if you play your A team every week, you will have injuries, and guys will get their chance.

The Australian cricket team didn't rotate when they were the best in the world. The depth was there 'cause every bastard knew they had to score regular 200s in state cricket.

Here's the real test: RSA have the toughest "warm up matches" (if you can count the BILs as that) prior to the Trinations. Let's see who comes out on top.

R

Richard D. James

Not Welsh (thankfully :p ), just another Aussie.

I don't want Rabbit to lose confidence, but I also don't want him to become over-confident. He needs to learn the realities of test Rugby and if one average performance against Italy is enough to make him lose form then he's not ready for the 3N.

You have a point about momentum, the Boks and ABs will have played much tougher tests than we have, but I guess it's a trade off between momentum and building depth. Look at Oz Rugby for about the last 20 years (until 2007), apart from a few short periods we basically had two flyhalfs, Noddy then Bernie. If they went down we were screwed. Now, if the worlds best flyhalf gets injured, we have an excellent back-up in Barnes and some youngsters waiting in the wings (To'omua, the future Wallabies 10 ;D ).

Oh btw, love the forum (and blog), have lurked for a while but finally decided to join and share my poorly though out, ill informed opinions with everyone .

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am the minority of one. I thought the Wallabies were just terrific.

We should be carfeful with the word "rotation". That occurs when and only when there are regular changes of 5+ players over a series of 5-10 games. That wasn't the case yesterday. I think Deans was just making sure everyone had a run in the three meaningless games and having a look at some new blood - I liked the look of that new blood but who knows what Deans made of it? Hang about and we shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.