• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Leicester Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BRIX

No mention on George Chuters uppercut on young Simmons I noticed. Did anyone else catch that?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
He's a nasty fecker is Chuter. One bloke I hope finds himself dealt some punishment one day. Perhaps a broken nose from someone like l'Homme des Cavernes

B

BRIX

Waldrom had his number till he got subbed off late, made some good tackles and a few good busts - one straight through the middle but unfortunately the support play from the Tigers was dismal all night and they couldn't capitalize on the breaks.

On a side note Waldrom has more chins than a Chinese phonebook :cool:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Waldrom had his number till he got subbed off late, made some good tackles and a few good busts - one straight through the middle but unfortunately the support play from the Tigers was dismal all night and they couldn't capitalize on the breaks.

On a side note Waldrom has more chins than a Chinese phonebook :cool:

Hahahaha.....yep, him and his brother are definitely not the smallest guys running around the park.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
[video=youtube;UqvxGvoVpd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqvxGvoVpd8&feature=sub[/video]

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
TK - thanks for the vid!

Just recalling the match, I think in hindsight hereabouts we may have been too tough on BB via this showing. It must be bloody demanding to be a winning play maker (a) in a team that's hardly played a serious game together as a XV ever before (b) that's a newly minted hybrid of main Wallabies and many rookies (c) in v cold and other NH conditions many have not encountered before (d) where there's an understandable bias in the players to play a bit of 'look at me rugby' for the selectors vs an out and out team game and (e) where some players hadn't played a game anywhere in 5-6 months. Plus, re his kicking: when you look again, there does seem to be a bit of an unpredictable, high swirling wind at that ground, whereby it would pay - like 12Trunks - to have kicked there multiple times before to know what angles are best.

I am not being 'soft' here re BB (though I want him to replace the immovable one asap), but I do think the above considerations are fair ones.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think he'd seen as a steady hand at the tiller, making smart decisions and bringing other blokes into the game. Noddy didn't have to overplay his hand due to the firecrackers he had outside him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah Noddy was a great of his type. I always regretted that he didn't run with the ball more because he was good at it when he did. There was one game against France IIRR when he ran and I thought he had changed but it was a one off and he kept playing deep after that. I think it suited his reserved nature.

On Barnes as I said: he got us home in the Leicester game but our point of difference at the moment is Cooper.

Because of Cooper's X-factor play opponents dare not drift and when he holds the ball a while when running or Benjiing they can't drift past the likely receiver either. He also has the Larkham long pass and does it flat enough so that a receiver running at pace is always a danger. And if he has lined up against a gap it is too late for a defender in the tackle line to react. That's the benefit of the long flat pass and cooperative runners.

He will make mistakes by being a bit too flashy and maybe leak the odd try because of defence but we have a big net gain in Cooper and he puts a bit of fear into opponents.

We need Barnes also like a relief pitcher in baseball to get us home sometimes and also for wet weather games. Barnes would probably be more highly regarded by big Euro teams than he would be by Super teams. He would fetch a higher price than we think. Especially this time of the year.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Let's hope Berrick gets a longer run on the weekend than usual. Give him the last 30, especially if Gits keeps playing the way he has been.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have just watched the game again and on a full screen with good reception.

There was some good play by our lads. The interplay between some of the players in traffic was quite good. It didn't lead to many tries obviously but in the wet, and what we couldn't see, the cold, it was good stuff.

I don't think we gave enough credit to both defences. Leicester made a couple of linebreaks, one when Brown kept going over to somebody who had already passed the ball, but it was damn good from both sides. Unlike in Cardiff our lads drove players back in the tackle and in the main stopped them doing the same.

The lack of the X-factor in the backs was still as clear as a bell and so was the lack of composure/poor discipline syndrome in the middle third of the game.

Burgess looked even better the second time around, and I said he was MOTM first time. He was a swan amongst the ducks; Hodgson looked better too.

Believe it or not the team of Mullins, Kay and Healey are good commentators usually, but the two ex-Leicester players showed their bias.

Geez they carried on about Burgess picking up that ball before the Higginbotham try. You could see all of the ball before Burgess picked it up. Sure there were legs extended around beyond the ball but there were none on top of it and anyway the bodies of the players who owned the legs were on the ground because they had driven past it and flopped.

Was the ruck over? Can there be a ruck if you can see the whole ball from above and nobody is on their feet in contact over the ball (which defines a ruck)? I thought not.

The second point of Goose Healey was that even if if was out Burgess wasn't on side when he started to move forward to pick up the ball. Wrong again - Burgess' timing was perfect.

N

Newter

I have just watched the game again and on a full screen with good reception.

There was some good play by our lads. The interplay between some of the players in traffic was quite good. It didn't lead to many tries obviously but in the wet, and what we couldn't see, the cold, it was good stuff.

I don't think we gave enough credit to both defences. Leicester made a couple of linebreaks, one when Brown kept going over to somebody who had already passed the ball, but it was damn good from both sides. Unlike in Cardiff our lads drove players back in the tackle and in the main stopped them doing the same.

The lack of the X-factor in the backs was still as clear as a bell and so was the lack of composure/poor discipline syndrome in the middle third of the game.

Burgess looked even better the second time around, and I said he was MOTM first time. He was a swan amongst the ducks; Hodgson looked better too.

Believe it or not the team of Mullins, Kay and Healey are good commentators usually, but the two ex-Leicester players showed their bias.

Geez they carried on about Burgess picking up that ball before the Higginbotham try. You could see all of the ball before Burgess picked it up. Sure there were legs extended around beyond the ball but there were none on top of it and anyway the bodies of the players who owned the legs were on the ground because they had driven past it and flopped.

Was the ruck over? Can there be a ruck if you can see the whole ball from above and nobody is on their feet in contact over the ball (which defines a ruck)? I thought not.

The second point of Goose Healey was that even if if was out Burgess wasn't on side when he started to move forward to pick up the ball. Wrong again - Burgess' timing was perfect.

Thanks for this, Lee.

What were Barnes' kicking stats like? If, as I suspect, he was kicking for the corner all night, maybe we don't want him in the starting XV.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks for this, Lee.

What were Barnes' kicking stats like? If, as I suspect, he was kicking for the corner all night, maybe we don't want him in the starting XV.

While it might not be that attractive, isn't that exactly what you want in a mudbath like this game was?

Status
Not open for further replies.