• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Portugal, RWC Pool C, Mon 2 Oct 2.45AM

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
not at all Pocock was here since he was a kid and not parachuted in as an adult with little or no attachment to Australia other than a pay cheque. Which is fine, but play for Fiji...
I reckon RWC should be country of origin. So a Country can pick a player no matter where they are living as long as they are born in that country. Could make the Island teams very strong!

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I reckon RWC should be country of origin. So a Country can pick a player no matter where they are living as long as they are born in that country. Could make the Island teams very strong!
Everything else aside, it really just can't be that simple.

I was born in Switzerland as both my (Aussie) parents lived there for a few years at the time. I came to Aus when I was 6wks old, and am not even eligible to be a Swiss citizen. Would I theoretically have to be pulling on the red and whites?

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Everything else aside, it really just can't be that simple.

I was born in Switzerland as both my (Aussie) parents lived there for a few years at the time. I came to Aus when I was 6wks old, and am not even eligible to be a Swiss citizen. Would I theoretically have to be pulling on the red and whites?
It was more something the NRL did obviously with State of Origin to improve their big games of the year. The Islander boys are spread through most rugby nations now and a lot would qualify for their home nations if such a concept was introduced, which I doubt ever will.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It was more something the NRL did obviously with State of Origin to improve their big games of the year.

But Origin eligibility isn’t black and white either? Again, having a concept of selection without nuance simply doesn’t work.

Queensland has fielded twice as many interstate players as NSW, with a total of 20 out of the 179 men to wear the Maroon jersey hailing from another state. Seventeen of those were from NSW. A further 12 hailed from overseas for a total of 32 non-Queenslanders.

That equates to 17.9 per cent of players who have ever pulled on a Maroons jersey not actually being from Queensland.

Compare that to NSW, who have selected just 10 interstate players out of a total 258. Ten others were from outside Australia, for a total of 7.8 per cent non-authentic Blues

Marce

John Thornett (49)
FB_IMG_1696523365610.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A couple or more had returned with injury during the RWC but weren't replaced. I wonder if that was intentional (if so I can't fathom the reasoning) or sheer failure of management by Eddie et al. I really don't know the ins and outs of the replacement rules but if the injured player has to be reviewed by WR (World Rugby)'s medical staff and if our players had been put on a plane back without being seen in the appropriate way, then there would at least be a reason, not a satisfactory one, behind the non-replacements.

EDIT : the failure to use any replacements surely begs the question why was the Aus A side sent over there to play for the Baa Baas in the first place?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
A couple or more had returned with injury during the RWC but weren't replaced. I wonder if that was intentional (if so I can't fathom the reasoning) or sheer failure of management by Eddie et al. I really don't know the ins and outs of the replacement rules but if the injured player has to be reviewed by WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby)'s medical staff and if our players had been put on a plane back without being seen in the appropriate way, then there would at least be a reason, not a satisfactory one, behind the non-replacements.

EDIT : the failure to use any replacements surely begs the question why was the Aus A side sent over there to play for the Baa Baas in the first place?
I'm sure the Ts were crossed and Is dotted when it came to WR (World Rugby) processes, and no doubt the conversations had been had and decisions probably made regarding who was coming in. Once it looked like we weren't going through, it probably didn't make much sense to announce who or actually bring someone in.

Of course you can argue it's an extra week for training and combinations, but I don't reckon they would've got much of a run this week anyway.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
A couple or more had returned with injury during the RWC but weren't replaced. I wonder if that was intentional (if so I can't fathom the reasoning) or sheer failure of management by Eddie et al. I really don't know the ins and outs of the replacement rules but if the injured player has to be reviewed by WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby)'s medical staff and if our players had been put on a plane back without being seen in the appropriate way, then there would at least be a reason, not a satisfactory one, behind the non-replacements.

Mesmerising
I think we can all agree that it is very hard to work out anything jones has done to date
Had a few chances to bring in extra guys or some senior guys
Maybe he didn’t want to admit that he got his squad wrong or perhaps players said no?
the whole build up and RWC has been a cluster f…! for the wallabies and Aus rugby
Pretty embarrassing really