• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Portugal, RWC Pool C, Mon 2 Oct 2.45AM

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Happy Tuesday peons. I was out most of Monday so only sat down to watch the game yesterevening.

My blow-by-blow / stream of consciousness here i.e. notes I took during the game:

You can tell our defence coach is from league because we leave acres of fucking space on the wings.

Portugal's backs have great hands and run great lines.

Fuck me it's ironic that the TMO's first name is "Joy" because every time I've seen them in the booth, they do everything they can to suck all the joy out of the game

Wallabies' first try good example of how to put your key ball runners into your first two phases. Bell crashes in, recycle to Valentini, luckily Arnold holds the pop

Try #2: good touch finder from Donaldson. Good lineout from Porecki. Good maul from the pack. Good finish from the skipper.

Porecki's strengths are set piece. Best lineout thrower we've had for a while and can scrum

Try #3: silly kick from Portugal 9, and we actually decide to counterattack. Fuck didn't appreciate how fast Foketi is.

Nearly goes to shit but Bell cleans up, then we're smart enough to use hands instead of going straight into contact. Funny how you can cover your rucks in time when you play on your feet, offloading early, rather than doing it in a tackle.

You're not stopping Bell from there. Best prop we've had in so long. Wish we had Ala'alatoa there with him

Frost's early knee injury looked like MCL to me. He's not well

Foketi looks fucked as well.

Great break from Perese

Kelleway is class. Cleaning up shit at the back, try saving tackles. Sensible on attack

Lol koroibete killed a guy.

Not sure that's a legal strike by Portugal at the scrum following - only front rowers can strike at the ball?

Portugal's 9 is an angry little cuss. Love it

Gotta say that tackle by the Portugal 2 on Pone is borderline illegal. Front on it becomes a cannonball. Side on its a different story

That said, Pone is dumb for pushing the opposition prop on a subsequent kick chase

McReight having his best game in some time

Lost our scrum on 56:30. Why the fuck is Arnold packing behind the loosehead? He should be the big lump on the right

Followed by a dumb late shot from Foketi and a dumb shoulder from Kerevi. Why? Just hold the fucking line and tackle low.

Aaaand the dumbest shit from Faessler. Deserved yellow.

TBH I have no issue with the knock on from Portugal 2. Ball goes forward into an opponent

Kerevi done for his troublesome forearm. What a goose.

Koroibete just hits too hard to wrap sometimes

Scrum shits itself again for Portugal's 2nd try. I had another look and here's the issue:

Why IFL kicks away turnover ball - even with the game in hand - shows where we are

Last minute. Better scrum.

Ref says "tackle" multiple times. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) just did not listen. Facepalm.

Kemeny gets a token few minutes. Genuine shame - he deserved more chance to show his wares.

IFL kicks away. Again. We're honestly about 8 on 3 + a cover defender on our 22. Game won. Have a crack!

And another kick from the reserve halfback. What the fuck???

Farcical ending to that game. Mostly from us.

Jesus wept

SUMMARY: Basically dominated first half and shat parts of the bed in the second. Never really threatened by Portugal TBH - 3 quick tries around the 20 minute mark put paid to that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Portgual are great value - they clearly have a lot of 7s experience based on their backs and back row, and probably just need a bit more depth (particularly tight 5) and experience playing together in order to become really good.

The tragedy of nations like this is in the lack of continuity: this group will not appear again together, and finding replacements will take time. They don't have masses of money to do it with, either.

Hopefully the fish heads in Europe can find a way to keep promoting nations like Portugal.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Portgual are great value - they clearly have a lot of 7s experience based on their backs and back row, and probably just need a bit more depth (particularly tight 5) and experience playing together in order to become really good.

The tragedy of nations like this is in the lack of continuity: this group will not appear again together, and finding replacements will take time. They don't have masses of money to do it with, either.

Hopefully the fish heads in Europe can find a way to keep promoting nations like Portugal.

Could you imagine running the 6 nations with Promotion-Relegation

Georgia, Portugal, Spain, Romania (All these being in the world top 20) in a secondary comp like the Junior World Cup having the trophy tournament.

Netherlands 27, Switzerland 28, Belgium 29, Germany 32 able to make it bigger if they show signs of developing.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes. A point constantly referred to. Rarely discussed though are the 22 players on the field for the 76 minutes that played atrociously that put a young debutant in that position. Rennie should have left Lolesio on with only 4 minutes to go in hindsight. Most agree that was a very poor coaching decision.
I was in Hawaii at the end of last year and we ran into Donaldson and his partner at the Yard House in Waikiki. An absolute top bloke, we ended up having a few beers while watching the NFL, he chatted with my 14 year old Waratah mad son for ages and we asked the question around his thoughts on the Italy test. To say he was upset about being bought on was an understatement. He said he would have preferred not to go on at all but it was what it was.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Admittedly we had Slips playing out of position but even so, having our scrum on skates against a very tier two side was pretty sobering.

Mathematical chances of advancing be damned, we don't deserve a quarter final spot. Clearly the third best side in our pool.

Amongst the wreckage of the tournament I'd say the following can hold their heads high:
- Valetini, Bell, Slipper, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway.

There's a few who fought hard but didn't really have a huge impact:
- Porecki, Frost, Hooper, McReight, Koroibete.

Then the rest.
Frost one of our best, Koroibete has been a distaster, he cant pass, misses tackles and dies with the ball far too often.

Last edited:

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why? I am simply saying we should stop importing players like Vunivalu, we have enough talented players that we dont need to continue to import players from Fiji etc... everything doesnt need to be deemed a racist comment

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thoughts on someone like Petaia, Pete Samu? PI heritage but born in Australia.

What an ignorant take. Can only think Hope it's a troll.
how is it ignorant? I have no issue with PI heritage players no issue with players that have been here since they were kids or born here i am simply asking why do we need to keep importing players from Island nations like Vunivalu. I may have worded what i was trying to say wrong....

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nah, just the racist / xenophobic ones
Settle down mate, a very simple thing to say that we dont need to continue to import players from the Pacific Islands - as an example Vunivalu offers no benefit to Australian rugby, we should be working with players that have been here be it born or from a very young age rather than poaching players who arent Australian and couldnt possibly feel the same way about playing for Australia as someone born here or raised here. Not everything is racist.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Frost one of our best, Koroibete has been a distaster, he cant pass, misses tackles and dies with the ball far too often. Enough with selecting Islanders and focus on Australian born and rugby educated players.
They should go back to where they came from right?