• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas, Bankwest (Parra), Sat 5th December

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes, Valentini to start. Wright just has not looked physically up to playing 6 at this level. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Maddocks get a run off the pine in place of Daugunu.

Yeah, I tend to agree - if we plan to get up them, but we looked rather good for a while playing away from their backrow so I think they may go for mobility over grunt

I am not sure what value Daugunu is off the bench or at all at test level at the moment

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes, Valentini to start. Wright just has not looked physically up to playing 6 at this level. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Maddocks get a run off the pine in place of Daugunu.

I'd have no issue with Maddocks at fullback, but he is not a winger. If that message from the Rebels and Cheika's misuse of him doesn't resonate with Rennie et all, then there will be a few more questions to be asked.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd have no issue with Maddocks at fullback, but he is not a winger. If that message from the Rebels and Cheika's misuse of him doesn't resonate with Rennie et all, then there will be a few more questions to be asked.

It was only misuse if there were better options at the time which in most cases I don't think there was.

Certainly at the Rebels he was a better winger than they had to partner Koroibete and likewise for the Wallabies we were flipping between DHP, Hodge and Maddocks.

The alternative was him not getting to play because there was a fullback ahead of him.

Putting him on the bench in place of Daugunu would presumably be as a planned sub for Banks rather than a planned sub for a winger.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
And if Hodge starts at 15 and is moved to 10 or 12 Maddocks comes on at 15. Maddocks can play on the wing if need be. He is a good back 3 sub. On the contrary Daugunu would struggle anywhere but on the wing.
We need a 15 that gives us a bit more in attack. Banks really has struggled there while being very solid defensively.
If that test against Argentina showed us anything it is that we lack teeth in attack.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Need to throw the kitchen sink at this one - nothing but a compelling victory will do so we can say "if we'd not shit the bed in Newie, we'd have won that Trinations!"

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well, Ned is the current incumbent 6 so, again, regardless of the genuine feeling on here for Liam that is possibly not a bad thing.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Well, Ned is the current incumbent 6 so, again, regardless of the genuine feeling on here for Liam that is possibly not a bad thing.
Ned lacked any penetration in the last gane but has been good otherwise. They both have big motors which gets you through st Super Rugby level, but test level is a different beast. I'd prefer Samu for his running or Isi for his size and physicality myself but I get your point and agree it's pretty much like for like with the other 2 and starting tgmhem against the argies back row won't get us far. I also think that Wilson is the best 6 we have

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Isi or Samu don’t get picked in this game I think it’s fair to say they’re seriously seriously not in contention for a spot. This seems like the perfect game to chuck them in and match the physicality of the Argies and it’s not like the other blokes have done anything to hold down their spots after last game. Will be very interesting to see the team.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Isi or Samu don’t get picked in this game I think it’s fair to say they’re seriously seriously not in contention for a spot. This seems like the perfect game to chuck them in and match the physicality of the Argies and it’s not like the other blokes have done anything to hold down their spots after last game. Will be very interesting to see the team.

Isi has already been released from the squad so won't see him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ned lacked any penetration in the last gane but has been good otherwise. They both have big motors which gets you through st Super Rugby level, but test level is a different beast. I'd prefer Samu for his running or Isi for his size and physicality myself but I get your point and agree it's pretty much like for like with the other 2 and starting tgmhem against the argies back row won't get us far. I also think that Wilson is the best 6 we have

With Wilson & Hooper we have plenty of running options in the back row. Having a unit that will just put his head down and toil focussing on the cleanouts and effective tackles helps the balance, especially with the running threat in some of the tight forwards

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting how no matter how hard you train, size is still genetics. Swinton's 30 minute cameo was really promising.

I don't know if Wright & Hanigan will ever cut it against PSTD, Curry, Underhill etc. NZ's relatively small backrow couldn't take advantage but others will.

Not the right thread, but a super smokey (like the smokiest) of Wallaby bolters could be Josh Kemney. Monster of a kid and only 22.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not the right thread, but a super smokey (like the smokiest) of Wallaby bolters could be Josh Kemney. Monster of a kid and only 22.

Kemeny had an outstanding debut Super Rugby season but I think he is too small for 6 or 8 at test level. He's barely bigger than Wright but Wright brings that fetching game as well and I'd argue he's not big enough to be a test 6.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Interesting how no matter how hard you train, size is still genetics. Swinton's 30 minute cameo was really promising.

I don't know if Wright & Hanigan will ever cut it against PSTD, Curry, Underhill etc. NZ's relatively small backrow couldn't take advantage but others will.

Agreed, think he should lock down the 6 jersey at the rebels next year- could find his way into the Wallabies squad at the end of season.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Kemeny had an outstanding debut Super Rugby season but I think he is too small for 6 or 8 at test level. He's barely bigger than Wright but Wright brings that fetching game as well and I'd argue he's not big enough to be a test 6.

Isn't he the perfect size? He's 6'4 and got guns for days.

As we all know, rugby talent is directly correlated to how good your rig is (as evinced by Australia's best Ryan Louwrens). Wright has an absolute sloppy rig for an international backrower, whereas Kemeny is an Adonis.
127218419_4940794782627707_6454492166135598214_o.jpg

Anyways, I will stop sidetracking the match thread about a bloke who's not even in the squad.....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have gone with an inch or two taller and another 5-10kg.

Maybe he'll fill out a bit more.

He certainly played well this season but he'd still be on the small side for an international 6.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So it appears Matera is going to be sent home by the Pumas for racist tweets or something?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hope Valentini gets a start but Rennie may stick with Hanigan. Either way McReight should be on the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Breaking: Drama in Sydney. Pablo Matera sacked as Argentina Pumas captain. He, lineout gun Guido Petti and replacement hooker Juan Socino suspended until proper investigation taken place by board. Xenophobic tweets dating back to 2011-13 the reason #TriNations

From Christy Doran on twitter.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Breaking: Drama in Sydney. Pablo Matera sacked as Argentina Pumas captain. He, lineout gun Guido Petti and replacement hooker Juan Socino suspended until proper investigation taken place by board. Xenophobic tweets dating back to 2011-13 the reason #TriNations

From Christy Doran on twitter.
The internet strikes again.

How you gon' sack your best player for some 10 year old shit?