• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas, GIO Stadium, Canberra, Sat 16th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Wallabies played well in the last 40. Let me preface my next comments with that. They played well in that 40 minutes against the opposition they had.

Gnostic, an apt summation (your full post, I cut simply for brevity). The Wallabies, with the coaching group we have, are a top 10 team. Constantly working on being top 5, and actually doing OK there. Against teams outside that top 5 we see some performance. But for now we are not seeing anything that should make us top 3 let alone challenge the ABs. The longer term trend is not up.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
ESPN stats

Sio - 6 runs, 6m, 10 tackle/0
TPN - 1 run, 1m, 9 tackles/0
Kepu - 8 runs, 23m, 10 tackles/1 miss
Simmons - 7 runs, 13m, 6 tackles/0
Coleman - 5 runs, 8m, 14 tackles/3 miss
Hanigan - 5 runs, 8m, 10 tackles/1 miss
Hooper - 11 runs, 36m, 18 tackles/0
McMahon - 17 runs, 84m, 19 tackles/1 miss
Uelese - 5 runs, 7m, 2 tackles/1 miss
Robertson - 1 run, 0m , 1 tackle/1 miss
AAA - 1 run, 4m, 0 tackles
Rodda - 1 run, 3m, 2 tackles/0
Dempsey - 3 runs, 21m, 1 tackle

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
ESPN stats

Sio - 6 runs, 6m, 10 tackle/0
TPN - 1 run, 1m, 9 tackles/0
Kepu - 8 runs, 23m, 10 tackles/1 miss
Simmons - 7 runs, 13m, 6 tackles/0
Coleman - 5 runs, 8m, 14 tackles/3 miss
Hanigan - 5 runs, 8m, 10 tackles/1 miss
Hooper - 11 runs, 36m, 18 tackles/0
McMahon - 17 runs, 84m, 19 tackles/1 miss
Uelese - 5 runs, 7m, 2 tackles/1 miss
Robertson - 1 run, 0m , 1 tackle/1 miss
AAA - 1 run, 4m, 0 tackles
Rodda - 1 run, 3m, 2 tackles/0
Dempsey - 3 runs, 21m, 1 tackle

I think McMahon and Hooper got a fair bit of seagull action that fleshed out their run metres. Kepu really stands out as having made a lot of hard yards up the guts.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good presser.

When Pocock returns and replaces McMahon at 8(we assume), how does that change the dynamic of the back row and what we will then need in a 6?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good presser.

When Pocock returns and replaces McMahon at 8(we assume), how does that change the dynamic of the back row and what we will then need in a 6?

We will need a more dynamic running 6 lineout option at that stage as Pocock will work the on ball stuff cleaning out and working the central defense (essentially a much better Hanigan)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We will need a more dynamic running 6 lineout option at that stage as Pocock will work the on ball stuff cleaning out and working the central defense (essentially a much better Hanigan)

Current options and (Claimed) physiques

Fardy for comparison: 198cm; 114 kg
Higgers for comparison: 195cm; 110kg

Ned Hanigan: 194cm; 110kg; 22yo
Jack Dempsey: 191cm; 108kg; 23yo
Adam Korczyk: 192cm; 102kg; 22yo
Lukhan Tui: 198cm; 124kg; 20yo

Hanigan; Dempsey and Korczyk should all provide "dynamic running", Hanigan and Korczyk can jump - how do people rate Dempsey in the line out? I dont particularly rate any of them clearing out in the ruck though - you didnt mention that FP?

Lukhan Tui is not likely to be a dynamic running, but should muscle up OK.

The options seem odd to me.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Hanigan; Dempsey and Korczyk should all provide "dynamic running", Hanigan and Korczyk can jump - how do people rate Dempsey in the line out? I dont particularly rate any of them clearing out in the ruck though - you didnt mention that FP?

Let's ignore Fardy & Higgers, they are gone

Next year RHP, Naisarani etc will be about as well, and the lot above will be older wiser and some may demonstrate some more form. Again the big challenge is the with 4 sides we have, two back row slots are being taken up by foreigners, so opportunities are limited

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I can see the appeal with Hanigan. He's rangy with a big motor, and his game sense is pretty good. The component parts are there.

He's just a bit too small. Give him a few injury-free years and he could be just what we need - the tight workhorse #6 to complement Hooper and Pocock at the 19 RWC. A kind of Matt Cockbain 2.0.

I agree with the criticism of him on here, and don't think he should be selected going forward. But I at least can see the logic behind it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Ideally in our current system the 6 should be really focusing on making his presence felt in the ruck. But that is Pocock's forte so our 6 needs to be refocused when he returns hence FP's omission.

Obviously, in general all forwards and some backs need to be hitting rucks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Matt Philip 198cm, 118kg. Age 23

dru

Tim Horan (67)
As I tell my girlfriend, size has got nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Unfortunately though, it does have something to do with it. Not everything but it's a starting point. You are not going to see too many 85kg no 6s. And Tui at 125kg may not have the lateral movement required.

Yes there is plenty after that, but the right size is a good start.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
RE 6: I think it's clear we don't have anyone who can do what Fifita did for the ABs against Argentina. There's no raging bull at 6 who can blow away the defence in tight to make make up for our smaller 7 and 8 whether it be Hooper with Pockock or Hooper with McMahon. I think the best compromise is a bit of a brawler (like Coleman) who looks to hit aggressively but is simply lacking the physical prowess of someone like Fifita. That's why I think Dempsey is a better option than Hanigan at this stage as he seems to play with a bit more aggression and intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.