• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Charger, I'm with you on what Deans will probably do. No time for mucking about and experimentation, so full strength or close to it from this point onwards. I do expect him to rest a few Reds players though. I'm most interested in a few non-Reds with injury concerns though: Elsom, Kepu, Polota-Nau, Sharpe, as I expect them to be pivotal to our chances this year.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Sharpe
5. Vickerman
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Burgess
10. JOC (James O'Connor) - Our 2nd best 10 if Barnes can't play. Rather him than Gits.
11. Davies - Backing up. Deserves a shot and best blood him in an early warmup game.
12. Giteau
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Ioane - Returning from injury, gametime needed to get match fitness and find the form we need him in, wasn't overly impressive last weekend.
15. Beale

16. Charles
17. Slipper - If fit, needs gametime.
18. Wykes
19. Hodgson
20. Phipps
21. McCabe - Bring on early if Ioane or Davies is tired, want him involved as early as possible
22. Sheppard.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
1.Robinson
2.Moore
3.Alexander
4.Sharpe
5.Vickerman
6.Elsom
7.Pocock
8.McCalman
9.Phipps
10.O'Connor
11.Ioane (doesn't need to be rested)
12.Giteau
13.Fainga'a (doesn't need to be rested)
14.Davies (doesn't need to be rested)
15. Beale

16. Kepu
17. Charles (Fainga'a will need rest)
18. Pyle
19. Hodgson
20. Dennis
21. Lucas (If he's fit)
22. McCabe

I think Kepu has a lot of potential to claim a starting spot this year but I think Deans will opt for Robinson, Moore, Alexander...They showed they could be a strong test combo in 2009, so I think he should try to re-establish that partnership.

I'd like Hodgson, Dennis and Pyle to have a run. And Lucas would be a good bench choice if he's available (solid player who can slot in at halfback). McCabe would play the Mr Fix it role off the bench...

Unfrotunately no room in my team for Shephard or Gerrard both of whom are worthy of a chance.

B

Braveheart.

1. Benn Robinson
Incumbent and the best loosehead we have available.

2. Stephen Moore
Strong super season in a defeated and disillusioned Ponies team. Really stepped up towards the arse end of the regular season. I'd expect him to push his case to be first hooker selected over TPN (who I think is shading him at the moment).

3. Ben Alexander
In my opinion will be selected for the RWC squad, and thus should be played. I 100% don't agree with the anti-alexander hyperbole that floats around in this forum. While I don't think he'll be starting in September, he will remain a key member in the front row stocks.

4. Nathan Sharpe
Incumbent and will be one of the first players selected in the RWC squad come September. I think of Sharpie as a bit of a spiritual leader of the piggies.

5. Dan Vickerman
Like it or not Vicks should make the RWC squad, the more game time we give him now, the better. In the 20 minutes he played for the Tahs this year he showed enough in leadership and physical presence to warrant a run.

6. Rocky Elsom (c)
All newspaper articles are suggesting that Rocky will be fit. He needs some serious gametime, so lets get him on the feild!

7. David Pocock
Sir David heir apparent to Sir Richie.

8. Ben McCalman
Incumbent and showed enough during the super season to warrant inclusion. A hard grafting, hard working cattle-dog of a no.8.

9. Luke Burgess / Nick Phipps
Sanchez will need a week off after the emotional high (low) of the Super final. If Burgo is fit, let him play. If not, then give the new kid a run!

10. James O'Connor
I'm expecting that Berrick will not make himself available for the Samoa test. While come Sept I think Gits will be the back-up ten (experience is his RWC trump card) I think we need to start working combinations & the centre combination is the most important at the moment. I expect Gits & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to be the centres for the tri-nations, so lets let them play together.

11. Digby Ioane
The only red to make the run-on XV after the super final. He's returning from injury and needs some gametime to get match fitness and find the form we need him in, wasn't overly impressive last weekend.

12. Matt Giteau
Refer to my comments re: JOC (James O'Connor).

13. Ashley-Cooper
He's been written off by a few this year - and found some late form (particularly against the Reds at Suncorp). Many pundits seem to think he lifts when he puts on the gold, and I tend to agree. I think he'll thrive being out of the poisonous Ponies environment.

14. Pat McCabe
This position is in my opinion up for grabs for the Samoa test with Cummins, Rod Davie, JOC (James O'Connor) & Sheps all putting up their hands. In my opinion, McCabe and Davies are the likely candidates - and will at least be discussed at selectors meetings later in the year. I just don't think Cummins or Sheps have the all around game to suit a Deans backline.

15. Kurtley Beale
Freak. No further discussions required.

16. Nathan Charles
Was at scrum camp and will likely be ranked as the 4th hooker if all (TPN, Moore & Finger) are fit.

17. James Slipper
Returning from injury. He'll be battling it out with Sekope Kepu later in the year for the starting THP position.

18. Hugh Pyle
It's hard to split Sitaleki Timani, Same Wykes and Hugh Pyle. It all comes down to what type of player fits the mould for a future Wallaby. I think Timani is a good prospect and has come from reletive obscurity this year - but he is still very unpolished. Wykes, too is a good prospect, but fits more of a 6/4/5 role.

19. Matt Hodgson
Covers the backrow 6-8. He's up there in the hard working cattle-dog stakes.

20. Nick Phipps / Will Genia
If burgo is out, and Phipps starting then the only option would be to start Sanchez on the bench - only to come on if there if Phipps gets seriously injured.

21. Anthony Fainga'a
He's just on the way back from injury, so burn-out isn't a concern like it is for Genia / Cooper. He makes a willing and able midfield replacement as he covers 12 & 13. There are already a number of capable no.10 replacements in the run-on side in Giteau, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale.

22. Rod Davies
Rocket Rod to start on the bench. I think he'll be there or there abouts when it comes to the RWC squad.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Braveheart perfect selections and reasoning, I agree with all of those selections.
Not sure if Slipper will be risked too soon though

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surprised that not many people have suggested Turner... Yes he hasn't had the best year, but can you honestly justify Gits'cor Chisolm's selections last year

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Horwill's injury could be forwarded as justification of Chisholm's selection.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Surprised that not many people have suggested Turner... Yes he hasn't had the best year, but can you honestly justify Gits'cor Chisolm's selections last year

I'd have Turner and Davies as my reserve wingers. Both fast, both excellent finishers.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd have Turner and Davies as my reserve wingers. Both fast, both excellent finishers.

I think there may be only room for one of them in the WC squad if Mitchell is fit, because we have Ioane, O'Connor, McCabe then Davies/Turner who can all play wing.
Throw Cam Shepherd into the mix aswell. I think it'll be a battle between Davies/Turner/Shepherd for that last spot as McCabe's utility value will come in handy

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think there may be only room for one of them in the WC squad if Mitchell is fit, because we have Ioane, O'Connor, McCabe then Davies/Turner who can all play wing.
Throw Cam Shepherd into the mix aswell. I think it'll be a battle between Davies/Turner/Shepherd for that last spot as McCabe's utility value will come in handy

I think, at McCabe's cost, we have enough utilities. Which is not to say he is no good, but too much like "AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)-lite", so to speak. I would be more interested in seeing Davies and Turner getting some chances to show what they can do at this stage. Some real speed can be a weapon.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would be amazed if any of the Reds play, they will be mentally gone, win or lose

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Sharpe
5. Timani
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Burgess
10. Giteau
11. Shepherd
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Turner
15. Beale

16. Charles
17. Alexander
18. Wykes
19. Hodgson
20. Phipps
21. McCabe
22. Cummins

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I would be amazed if any of the Reds play, they will be mentally gone, win or lose

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Sharpe
5. Timani
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Burgess
10. Giteau
11. Shepherd
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Turner
15. Beale

16. Charles
17. Alexander
18. Wykes
19. Hodgson
20. Phipps
21. McCabe
22. Cummins

That's starting to look very strong.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I notice a lot of people throwing Sheps on the wing. I'd be much more inclined to go with Cummins though, he has played very well for the Force this season and is definitely up to the task. Shepherd is a great player, but IMO Cummins will do a better job.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Shepherd has that innate ability to sniff out a try and I like a back 3 that can all kick, counter and score tries.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yeah I would much rather Shepherd in my squad. I thought he was in brilliant form before injury. Not taking anything away from the Honey Badger though

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Who is going to be fullback cover for Beale during the World Cup? JOC (James O'Connor)? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Shepherd?

Thank god for Beale because otherwise there would be no dominate and in form replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.