• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Who is going to be fullback cover for Beale during the World Cup? JOC (James O'Connor)? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Shepherd?

Thank god for Beale because otherwise there would be no dominate and in form replacement.

Ashley-Cooper to #15, Ioane to #13 , O'Connor to #14 and Giteau to #12.

If Horne's fit and firing, however, move Ashley-Cooper to #15 and slot Horne into #13.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Any news on Horne....Is he fit?????

BTW Braveheart, agreed with everything you wrote. I agree that the bench prop will be either Kepu or Slipper, whoever has recovered from their injury first. I don;t know who that'll be. Is Kepu still injured?? They certainly wont rush Slipper in if they think it might risk further injury

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Not wanting to risk calls of "those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it" I think we can take potential selection clues by looking at what happened last year. In the first barbarians game deans pmayed JOC (James O'Connor) at 15, despite some previous poor performances. He showed some bealesque moves in kick return, and given he can catch and kick, I'd wager JOC (James O'Connor) will be back up to Beale at the back.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I hope they start JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. I know Deans suggested earlier this year he wouldn't but I hope he was only foxing - he looks the goods there to me and the closer to the action the better. He is only small, but must be pound for pound one of the most powerful players so his defence will stand up. Giteau's form has been much better this year, but none the less I would have him on the bench in a full strength side, so (assuming Cooper is rested) I would have him at 10 & JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 for the Samoa game.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Who is going to be fullback cover for Beale during the World Cup? JOC (James O'Connor)? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Shepherd?
I think Dingo will go with JOC (James O'Connor) as he has the potential to spark a team counter-attack. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Shepherd are a little limited (IMHO) in this regard.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure of the injury situation but this is the side I'd like to see against Samoa less the Reds players.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu/ Alexander
4. Vickerman
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Burgess - (is he good to go?)
10. Giteau
11. Turner
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale.

16. Charles (was he at scrum camp?)
17.Alexander/Kepu 18.Mumm 19. Hodgson 20.Phipps 21.Mortlock 22.Shepherd

Not sure on some of these players inuries or even squad selection but with injuries to TPN, Horne, Barnes & Drew Mitchell it has made for some tough selections.

I would have giteau or phibbs at 9, JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, Mumm and Mortlock nowhere near the team...

And I think gerrard should get a run before shep, but its certainly debatable.

I think you got the pack pretty much down-pat, slipper defiantly slides in if he is fit.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I can almost guarentee Matt Giteau will not play a minute at scrum-half for the Wallabies.
I'm not saying it is a good idea or that it's not, but there is no way in hell I can see Deans playing him there unless both starting and reserve scrum-halfs get injured during the match.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I can almost guarentee Matt Giteau will not play a minute at scrum-half for the Wallabies.
I'm not saying it is a good idea or that it's not, but there is no way in hell I can see Deans playing him there unless both starting and reserve scrum-halfs get injured during the match.

But isn't great knowing that he is there just in case.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
When you can only take 30 players to a tourney you have to at least consider all your options.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Wallabies vs Samoa

Picked up my tickets for the game today GA $20 and the fan day at 11:30am in Cathy Freeman Park

Quite shocked to see only 28,000 seats sold.

Understandable its Samoa, could be a pretty easy game however I had a think about the points that clearly need to be raised.

- Family Friendly with the game kicking off at 2pm on a Sunday
- Cheap prices for tickets and most of the stadium GA it looks like
- Fan Day on before the game with opportunities to meet the rest of the squad and the 1991 RWC Team

Heard former Reds flanker Ezra Taylor is in the Samoa Squad.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Should have looked to play this match out of a smaller stadium such as Parramatta or Penrith. Campbelltown would also have been an option.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How many did you think they would get Hodgo? More than one week out I think 28,000 sounds pretty damn good. Anything over 40,000 for a game against Samoa would be fantastic.

T

TOCC

Should have looked to play this match out of a smaller stadium such as Parramatta or Penrith. Campbelltown would also have been an option.

Or.. somewhere like Gosford, Gold Coast, Canberra Stadium or any other test rugby starved pocket of Australia..

I understand the deal with ANZ Stadium probably forced them to host this match here, but sheesh its a missed opportunity to take a 'smallish' test to a regional area.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Or.. somewhere like Gosford, Gold Coast, Canberra Stadium or any other test rugby starved pocket of Australia..

I understand the deal with ANZ Stadium probably forced them to host this match here, but sheesh its a missed opportunity to take a 'smallish' test to a regional area.

Or Wollongong. My thinking about Western Sydney is that there are large PI (particularly Samoan) populations out there, good for both teams in terms of support.

I wouldn't bother playing any of the PI's in Canberra. I'd prefer to see a Test involving the NH powers instead. Italy/Scotland and even Wales would be good down there. Furthermore, I like the fact that we will see Canada playing the Aus BaaBaas. I'd like to see more 'emerging' nations following suit in the future to play against Aus A competition. Could take these to the even smaller regional centres.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Any future Canberra tests during the winter should be played in the afternoon... you'll get bigger crowds than night matches...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry to be blunt but the crowd for the Fiji test in Canberra was just poor. They had a chance to embrace that game and they didn't. Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth are all more deserving of the chance to host it.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The last Wallaby/ Samoa test I went to was when Peter the Great was captain and they lost 73 - 3. I still remember to this day the poor bastards doing lineout practice in a car park next to St Mary's in Manly. I'm taking my kids next weekend to the fanday and the game. They are both very excited. The rugby heartlands are as ignored as non marginal seats in a Federal or State election. It's about time my kids who spend most Saturdays at Manly oval can witness a test that is not cost prohibitive.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
FitzSimons was never captain of the Wallabies - look it up.

Have a great day with your kids lily.

Peter Fatialofa was and will always be the king of Samoan Rugby.
I'm quite disappointed that General Grant didn't understand the reference.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
How many did you think they would get Hodgo? More than one week out I think 28,000 sounds pretty damn good. Anything over 40,000 for a game against Samoa would be fantastic.

Understand that it's samoa & all but it's very family friendly this game.
It's an afternoon on a Sunday (usually when NRL games & AFL games take the TV timeslots)
There's a free fan day
The tickets are cheap with the added bonus of free public transport.
$50 for the family tickets should be very enticing considering for the same at a mungo match u'd pay $100

For some of the kids its a perfect opportunity to see a Wallabies game live
In years gone by when you would of forked out $90 for a cheap Wallabies seat, I think it should bring more bums on seats.

On a marketing spectacle what have the ARU done? Not a lot. It was all big and huge when they released the test schedule. A week out I haven't seen an ad in the paper or on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.