• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
A Samoa test will not sell that many tickets compared to a test against a Tier 1 nation. A test with no Reds players will not sell as many tickets as one with them.

Robbie would be under a bucket load of pressure, in a year with less tests than usual, to put an attractive 22 on show.

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
Gits at 10, JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and Vickerman starting are the key selections for me. We already know who is best or thereabouts in all the other positions.

Problem with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, or why Deans won't put him there, is that Robbie thinks JOC (James O'Connor) is still too small. Deans definitely won't put him there against any islander team because they're so big. I'm still not sure about resting the reds, I think they are really fit.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) is stronger than Gits. He has no problem dealing with big forwards and he spends a lot of time clearing out in rucks and mauls.
He is a very robust player. Size and strength are no longer an issue for him.

JOC (James O'Connor) outside Cooper will be a serious mare for all opposition.
If we don't see the Wallabies start with him at 12 on the weekend I am sure we will see him there at some point.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) is odds on to start on the wing, his kick return threat is wonderful and he gives Aus that second fullback/kicking option. Gits will be 12

Actually I expect JOC (James O'Connor) to be the goal kicker as well

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think the Reds forwards should be rested as Horwill,Simmons,Fainga'a,Higginbotham and Samo have played almost the whole season

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I understand what you are implying, but not enough time to organise all this. It is hard to change to a completely different game plan during a game even if planned. And for the record in a Wallabies starting side I think there should be
Horwill-no doubt
Higginbotham-he is in blinding form. Big, powerful, fast. I would pick him over Elsom
Genia-no doubt
Cooper-no doubt
A.Fainga'a-Gits, Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) don't play the right style to combine well with Cooper. Trust me, Fainga'a needs to be inside
Davies-lightning quick, great defence, great form, gels well with other reds
Ioane-no doubt his form warrants it

Do you really think Fainga'a is lightning quick? I would have thought slower than JOC (James O'Connor) (by lots) or Gits (although that would be close nowadays).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would be going to as full strength a team as we could put out there without a few key Reds forwards. Those poor buggers will be knackered and need the rest. So that means no Horwill, Simmons, Robinson, Higgers, S Finger or Samo out of the guys in the squad. So that would leave us with something like:

1, Robinson
2, Moore
3, Kepu
4, Sharpe
5, Vickerman
6, Elsom
7, Pocock
8, McCalman (or is Cliffy fit?)
9, Phipps (or is Burgess fit?)
10, Giteau (still don't like him here...)
11, Ioane
12, JOC (James O'Connor)
13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14, Davies
15, Beale

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
combination combinations combinations!
deans should start with wht he wants our wc final team to be baring injuries.
our best shot against the saffas in game one is if we got the combinatins going as they havnt played for a bit same with the kiwis
look to have subs towards the end of first half in necessary, but strongest team needs to be on the park
if that means we have used all our subs by the 50th minute then thats fantastic news! if we have to finish the game with 13 playes? even better! think sun tzu
"Soldiers when in desperate straits lose the sense of fear. If there is no place of refuge, they will stand firm. If they are in hostile country, they will show a stubborn front. If there is no help for it, they will fight hard."

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) is odds on to start on the wing, his kick return threat is wonderful and he gives Aus that second fullback/kicking option. Gits will be 12

Actually I expect JOC (James O'Connor) to be the goal kicker as well
I wouldn't be surprised to see JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing and Giteau at 12 but to suggest he is less able to deal with the physical aspects of 12 than Gits is no longer valid.

A. Fainga'a has been playing 13 most often lately and I doubt he is an option at 12.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
of course the player would know if the need a rest>
id start them unless they relly need a rest> but perfect time for practising situations where we will be under the pump our replacements will need to stand up and show they can control the game

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Peter Fatialofa was and will always be the king of Samoan Rugby.
I'm quite disappointed that General Grant didn't understand the reference.

Have just noticed this - your comment on Peter The Great being the skipper in Wallabies/Samoa games and my response that Peter FitzSimons never captained the Wallabies, was a joke - against FitzSimons, who was never guilty of under-rating himself.

Obviously it was not a very good joke - but it wouldn't be the worst I have told.

St Peter

Stan Wickham (3)
Do you really think Fainga'a is lightning quick? I would have thought slower than JOC (James O'Connor) (by lots) or Gits (although that would be close nowadays).

I think A Fainga'a's form all year warrants a look in the Wallabies. As AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be OC, and deserves it as he has always performed in internationals, this is the ideal game to give him a go before the TN begins.

His understanding with QC (Quade Cooper) is vital (not even Quade knows what he will be doing next), and his defence alongside AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will ensure that no team will find it easy to get through us. He also plays a little like a flanker at the breakdown and can pilfer us the ball, and I don't think there is another centre in Aus that does this.

O

openside_tom7

Who Should Play Against Samoa?

It's the opening test of the year, and the first chance to play as a team. The temptation of some would be to rest players, notably the Reds, who have just completely a physical Super Rugby season. However, I feel we should be playing a mixture of our best team with rewards for those who are in form. We want to be prepared for South Africa who visit next week, but we also need to blood potential world cup players to see if they are up to Wallabies standard. This would be my 22 for Samoa:

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu (if fit)
4. James Horwill
5. Rob Simmons
6. Rocky Elsom (captain)
7. David Pocock
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Rod Davies
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Ben Alexander
18. Ben McCalman
19. Beau Robinson
20. Nick Phipps
21. Matt Giteau
22. Luke Morahan

I believe this 22 fields the best blend of youth and experience. Players like Kepu, Higginbottom, Simmons, Fainga'a and Davies are all in form, and I believe definitely in the mix for the world cup squad. They need to be tested in my opinion. The same goes for bench players, Robinson, Phipps and Morahan, who should all get 30 minutes. There is a serious case for Robinson to start this test. However, with Higginbottom starting for the first time and Elsom back from injury, I believe the experience of David Pocock is needed to counter what is going to be a physical Samoan team.

What do you guys think?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu (if fit)
4. James Horwill
5. Rob Simmons
6. Rocky Elsom (captain)
7. David Pocock
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Luke Burgess (if fit) - Give Genia a rest, work on the combo between Burgess and QC (Quade Cooper) incase Genia goes down at any point.
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Rod Davies
15. Kurtley Beale

16. James Hanson - Fainga'a played majority of match last week and is already capped, give this boy a go for the last 20.
17. Ben Alexander
18. Dan Vickerman - You don't have a bench lock. It's a physical Samoa team and likely we will need replacements. Plus Vicks needs a go.
19. Beau Robinson
20. Nick Phipps
21. Matt Giteau
22. Luke Morahan

This thread exists somewhere else which suggests to me it should be transferred over but what the hell.

O

openside_tom7

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu (if fit)
4. James Horwill
5. Rob Simmons
6. Rocky Elsom (captain)
7. David Pocock
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Luke Burgess (if fit) - Give Genia a rest, work on the combo between Burgess and QC (Quade Cooper) incase Genia goes down at any point.
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Rod Davies
15. Kurtley Beale

16. James Hanson - Fainga'a played majority of match last week and is already capped, give this boy a go for the last 20.
17. Ben Alexander
18. Dan Vickerman - You don't have a bench lock. It's a physical Samoa team and likely we will need replacements. Plus Vicks needs a go.
19. Beau Robinson
20. Nick Phipps
21. Matt Giteau
22. Luke Morahan

Ben McCalman can be utilised as a second rower if injuries do occur. However, if there was to be a replacement second row, I believe Sitaleki Timani should be used to gain test experience.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
combination combinations combinations!
deans should start with wht he wants our wc final team to be baring injuries.
our best shot against the saffas in game one is if we got the combinatins going as they havnt played for a bit same with the kiwis
look to have subs towards the end of first half in necessary, but strongest team needs to be on the park
if that means we have used all our subs by the 50th minute then thats fantastic news! if we have to finish the game with 13 playes? even better! think sun tzu
"Soldiers when in desperate straits lose the sense of fear. If there is no place of refuge, they will stand firm. If they are in hostile country, they will show a stubborn front. If there is no help for it, they will fight hard."

Another Sun Tzu principle is that "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Playing your best players all the time is equivalent to making a frontal attack for the duration of a long war.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think A Fainga'a's form all year warrants a look in the Wallabies. As AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be OC, and deserves it as he has always performed in internationals, this is the ideal game to give him a go before the TN begins.

His understanding with QC (Quade Cooper) is vital (not even Quade knows what he will be doing next), and his defence alongside AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will ensure that no team will find it easy to get through us. He also plays a little like a flanker at the breakdown and can pilfer us the ball, and I don't think there is another centre in Aus that does this.

Slow, then?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
[Anthony Fainga'a] also plays a little like a flanker at the breakdown and can pilfer us the ball, and I don't think there is another centre in Aus that does this.

I'd shrugged my shoulders when the squad was announced and switched off. Then we get a new bloke making this statement. Really, SP? Not one?

Status
Not open for further replies.