• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
the top four props are all pretty decent. i wouldn't be disappointed with whoever Cheika decided to start.

I'd be happy for Sio to have a crack at starting, to give him some more experience for later in the year. Holmes I'd probably prefer to see come into the side off the bench.

Kepu and Slipper are obviously our best options, but Cheika will need to make sure his back-ups get plenty of game time before September

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
the top four props are all pretty decent. i wouldn't be disappointed with whoever Cheika decided to start.

I'd be happy for Sio to have a crack at starting, to give him some more experience for later in the year. Holmes I'd probably prefer to see come into the side off the bench.

Kepu and Slipper are obviously our best options, but Cheika will need to make sure his back-ups get plenty of game time before September

BDA I think Holmes and Sio are damned close.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Catching up on IQ recordings of the Shute Shield match on 7Two, and the Maori NZ team vs Fiji. Plenty of rugby on the TV tonight at Chez Jarse. Flick across to Wimbledon and the Ashes (maybe not the latter - it's not good viewing :eek:)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It's unthinkable that Foley won't start at 10 for this first test. While I'd prefer it was Cooper to take us into the RWC, he really needs to get some more game time before starting a test.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
It's unthinkable that Foley won't start at 10 for this first test. While I'd prefer it was Cooper to take us into the RWC, he really needs to get some more game time before starting a test.

It's quite thinkable. Cheika may prefer to experiment early than late. Alternatively, Cooper may be his first choice and needs game time or evaluation. Cooper may have played the house down at training. Not knowing Cheika's mind, the permutations are at this time are also unknown. The argument from continuity doesn't hold water: Cheika didn't have access to Cooper in last year's team.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

Might have something to do with his not so great game against the Highlanders.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
BDA I think Holmes and Sio are damned close.
I think Sio had a better season then Slipper, but obviously Slipper is incumbent and still bloody good, deserves the 1 jersey. On the flip side If his neck isn't right yet they should get that sorted and test the others first..

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I tend to agree. I want to see both guys get a good opportunity to show where they're at. I lean towards QC (Quade Cooper), because I think the best backline footy we've seen from the Wallabies over the last couple of seasons has been when we've had Phipps, Cooper and To'omua as the inside combination. Add TK and Izzy to the mix and we've got a pretty potent attack without really giving anything away on D.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Meyer says will mix it up against the Wallabies.

http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/meyer-to-make-changes-springboks

Here is the squad who got on the plane:

Springbok squad:
Forwards – Schalk Brits, Schalk Burger, Marcell Coetzee, Lood de Jager, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Eben Etzebeth, Vincent Koch, Francois Louw, Frans Malherbe, Victor Matfield, Oupa Mohoje, Beast Mtawarira, Trevor Nyakane, Adriaan Strauss, Heinke van der Merwe, Warren Whiteley.

Backs – Damian de Allende, Bryan Habana, Jesse Kriel, Pat Lambie, Willie le Roux, Lionel Mapoe, Lwazi Mvovo, Rudy Paige, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Handré Pollard, Cobus Reinach, Jan Serfontein, Morné Steyn.

Jean de Villiers left behind. Gosh he looked so slow on Saturday. Like he was stuck in mud.

For me it is going to be particularly interesting to see what he does with wrt:
  • Props
  • Back row (Whiteley was unfortunately anonymous on Saturday so expect to see Schalk at 8 with Coetzee and Louw.)
  • 13 - options are Sefontein and Mapoe. I want to see Mapoe get a shot at it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I tend to agree. I want to see both guys get a good opportunity to show where they're at. I lean towards QC (Quade Cooper), because I think the best backline footy we've seen from the Wallabies over the last couple of seasons has been when we've had Phipps, Cooper and To'omua as the inside combination. Add TK and Izzy to the mix and we've got a pretty potent attack without really giving anything away on D.

If Cooper has been as sharp at training as it sounds, let's see what he's got. Foley coming on later and running it at the line and running his support lines against less organised defence can't hurt either. But I want to see Cooper more involved more of the time, not hanging back like he did at times with the Reds. He needs to be seeing and calling the shots better, and is far more dangerous getting the ball in his hands, IMO.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What I would like to see:

Beast, Bismarck, Koch
Victor, Etsebeth
Louw, Schalk, Coetzee

Pienaar
Pollard

Habana
De Allende
Mapoe
Willie Le Roux

Kriel

That would be the quickest backline SA has fielded in 100 years.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
What I would like to see:

Beast, Bismarck, Koch
Victor, Etsebeth
Louw, Schalk, Coetzee

Pienaar
Pollard

Habana
De Allende
Mapoe
Willie Le Roux

Kriel

That would be the quickest backline SA has fielded in 100 years.
Wallabies by 50.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Care to elaborate or too much western weed on a Sunday arvo?

Look it's not a first choice team but it's near the best SA can field considering the injuries.
Sorry, had to go all Paarlbok on you there and throw out a wild speculator.

My thoughts are Matfield may be the best line out operator in the world but he has no place in the starting team of the Boks in 2015. To slow and not dynamic enough in the loose.

Pienaar isn't a great partner for Pollard. Both good players in their own right but not sold on the combo. And Pollard really has never gotten back to his pre knee injury form. I'd prefer Catrikillis if I was you guys. At least you can use him to punish ill discipline on the scoreboard.

And I don't really rate de Allende.

But having said that, I expect it to be close. I'd say in a head to head comparison you guys win the Forwards and we win the backs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
You want Cat Killer and you don't rate de Allende.

That's kind of, well, weird.

I think he will start Lambie btw.

And as for Matfield. I also keep thinking he is too old and slow and then I watch the game last night and he just doesn't look out of place for a minute.

Wallabies by 15. Because our back row will get outplayed. It is a new combination and Louw has looked terribly slow.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Cat Killer for a reason. A bastardised Kickbot2000 if you will.

de Allende seems like a bastardised version of the modern 12. He doesn't distribute like JDV and he doesn't have the power game of a Nonu type player. He seems to die with the ball a lot too. I assume he's trying to be the Nonu type but I haven't seen it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom