• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That analysis tells me that the back row combination we fielded in the second half is worth persisting with. Our work at the breakdown improved significantly during that time and probably won us the game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
WOW! Just WOW!

I wonder if it's just coincidence that the guys replaced first were the ones falling off the pace? If it wasn't then it's amazing work to catch it on the fly.

Everyone who says Simmons is lazy should read this.

@Sully, did you happen to catch Rod Kafer's review of Simmons' ruck work on Rugby HQ? Certainly, his involvements can be up there, but as Kafe demonstrated with video evidence, he was mostly ineffectual in the rucks that he hit. At least three or four turnovers resulted precisely from his weak work at the breakdown. I don't think the stats will change too many critics' opinions. Only Rob can do that, and he needs to be a whole lot better at his workk than he showed against the Saffas.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
@Sully, did you happen to catch Rod Kafer's review of Simmons' ruck work on Rugby HQ? Certainly, his involvements can be up there, but as Kafe demonstrated with video evidence, he was mostly ineffectual in the rucks that he hit. At least three or four turnovers resulted precisely from his weak work at the breakdown. I don't think the stats will change too many critics' opinions. Only Rob can do that, and he needs to be a whole lot better at his workk than he showed against the Saffas.
He showed two didn't he? out of 35? Even if it was four so what? You could do that with any player.

T

Train Without a Station

The more rucks you hit, the more ineffective involvements you will have. Much like tackles. The fact he was involved in 35 rucks puts it into context.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
He showed two didn't he? out of 35? Even if it was four so what? You could do that with any player.

There were 10 turnovers against the Wallabies. Kafer identified that Simmons was in 7 of those attack breakdowns. I know you can't put the blame squarely on him but from the vision it was clear that in those breakdowns, he was largely inaccurate and ineffective.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah sorry mate, but as good as Kafe is with his 'analysis' pieces, his view on how the locks (or any forwards) are going should be taken with a metric fuck load of salt.
Pretty sure it doesn't matter what he does, Rob won't change many of his 'critics' opinions but just quietly, I'm of the opinion that his critics probably don't know a whole lot about lock play.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah sorry mate, but as good as Kafe is with his 'analysis' pieces, his view on how the locks (or any forwards) are going should be taken with a metric fuck load of salt.
Pretty sure it doesn't matter what he does, Rob won't change many of his 'critics' opinions but just quietly, I'm of the opinion that his critics probably don't know a whole lot about lock play.

While on the topic of Simmons, I recall he had another brain fart and gave away a ridiculous penalty at one stage (at least) again last week, but for the life of me I can't recall the detail. Anybody else notice it?

T

Train Without a Station

He made a good point that Simmons was involved in x amount. But he didn't consider what a player in his position would do. Like the Giteau turnover. Simmons and Moore approach the tackle contest, Giteau gets domination in contact and instead of steaming in they need to stop and come sideways into the contest, whilst the opposition just charges forward.

You're more likely to lose the ruck when you lose the tackle contest.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree that Simmons is much maligned but he is the best Line Out exponent that we have and as such gets a lot of attention from the opposition. That's why Fardy got (and Simmons called) 6 LOW last week.
Simmons almost exclusively supports our ball runners in rucks and works in that channel.
Last week he also made 10 Tackles/1 Missed - 3rd highest for Wallabies and more than Moore (9/2) or Fardy (5/1). I agree that he doesn't make dominant tackles but how many World Class Locks do?
He made the same carry m as Skelton from 2 fewer carries.
None of the Stats show a Penalty to Simmons (I can't recall one).
He makes few errors and has one of the lowest penalty rates.
He has better form/work rate than Rory Arnold in Super Rugby as shown by TWAS in his analysis.
Until we have a better Lock option Simmons will continue to warrant selection.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
While on the topic of Simmons, I recall he had another brain fart and gave away a ridiculous penalty at one stage (at least) again last week, but for the life of me I can't recall the detail. Anybody else notice it?
Not sure why you quoted me. I take it from this post but that you are indeed one of Rob's 'critics' that I was talking about in my post.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Speaking of locks, I remember reading an article over the internet that said Scotland send some of their young players over to NZ for some time to learn from the best and here is a perfect example of what that co-operation can fruit

Look at this guy, he is 20 and already wreaking havoc all over NH, no fancy runs near the sideline but hard yards and dominant tackles in the tight. Seems to be handy at line out time too, and if my memory serves me right, he was packing at TH lock and his brother Richie who is 9-feet tall at LH.

Question is, can we start sending young locks over somewhere to a school held by an old school Mordor Orc to put some mongrel in them?

Edit:
http://scottishrugby.org/news/12/06/19/jonny-gray-flying-high-new-zealand

There is the article about the program in NZ, seems to be ran by blackadder who has played in Scotland

And sorry for the off topic

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I agree that he doesn't make dominant tackles but how many World Class Locks do?
Interestingly I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Simmon's teammates rate him as one of the hardest tacklers.
I wouldn't have thought so to be honest, but he certainly a very effective tackler and does a lot of grunt work. His technique was poor on a couple of occasions on Kafe's analysis, but there were also a couple he was on a hiding to nothing because the ball carrier either got isolated (which reflects badly on his supports anyway) or got dominated in contact.
Anyway, I thought both locks played pretty well yesterday - although I'm sure that nothing short of signing for the Brumbies will change some opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.