• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On our scrummaging, I think there may have been words

Ledesma conceded the Wallabies scrum struggled early against the Springboks, but felt it improved as the match progressed and especially after the second half substitutions.
“We didn’t start really well, mainly because we weren’t respecting what we planned during the week,” Ledesma said.
“But when we started getting it right in the second half especially the last couple of scrums, we put them under pressure and had good outcomes.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/r...or-mario-ledesma/story-e6frf4pu-1227451326311

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I couldn't get to the the game as I had a prior engagement but even if I could, I doubt I would've gone. I can only speak for myself, but the events of last year really challenged me as a supporter and left a pretty crappy taste in my mouth. To the point that I really haven't been that enthused about the Wallabies since. Add to that a less than mediocre Reds season and the thought of going to the game was all a bit meh.
I should probably add before I get labelled a sook or some other rubbish, it's a fair hike for me (1.5 hrs each way) to get there, but that hasn't stopped me in the past.
That game was something special though. It's possible that I may be at the start of the healing process. Anyway, that's where I'm at. I don't think I'm Robinson Crusoe.

Fair enough I suppose. Hopefully after a match that shat on Origin as a spectacle Qld rugby fans will be more eager next time around. That game deserved a full house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
He he.
His uncles were well known for causing trouble.
Both uncles were Springbok wrestlers.
Someone may want to translate this for you guys................

A scary insight into the present-day mentality of certain South African rugby supporters. Fuck-a-duck.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Perhaps so. We're a strange bunch. We like picking fights at school and some of us were privileged enough to get corporal punishment at school for our indiscretions. Many today still get a good hiding even though it's technically illegal - we as parents just don't give a rats arse over what government prescribes us.

It instills discipline.

Also, Etzebeth's father wasn't part of this. Etzebeth is therefore more controlled being not drunk and all.

All I'm saying is he's probably not the best guy to go out to and look for trouble.

Count me right out of your "WE" thank you very much.

"It instills discipline."

Are you serious? Are you actually serious? .What century are you living in?

This guy is glorifying corporal punishment on children on an open forum. Like it's some lost privilege.

You can NOT be serious.

I pity your children.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Alright,

I apologise for having brought this into the thread. That's just my feeling around the whole matter and it's part of my religion which I won't bring into this but I'll defend my stance on my faith. I don't care which century we're in.

Let the rugby continue :)

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Horan talking some absolute rubbish about the courageous decision not to play for a draw.
What was Moore doing when he decided to let Giteau fluff one from 40m right in front.

Horan isn't the most sophisticated or thoughtful of commentators. Seems like a top bloke, but his commentary and analysis always comes across as paper thin.

But yeah, as others have said there was time on the clock for the first pen.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He was thinking there was still enough time for a restart and to get back down the other end for another penalty or drop goal - which there was.

He clearly said it was because they expected to get another chance to win it.

Of course he did.
Why not take the try, kick the conversion and then get back down there? (if that's what you really believe)
for mine this is the greatest "false dawn" since the Tahs were predicted to win the comp in 1996

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
for mine this is the greatest "false dawn" since the Tahs were predicted to win the comp in 1996

Yeah... I don't think this year's Wallabies campaign is anything remotely close to that.

We had a last gasp win against a Bok side that killed us in the breakdown and the scrums for most of the game. No one is saying we're gonna win the RC, Bled and the RWC this year on the back of this - they're just patting Moore on the back for showing some balls at the end and making a decision that could win a game rather than draw it.

Even after all that though, I think most of us aren't predicting any great achievements being on the cusp for the Wallabies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah. I don't think this year's Wallabies campaign is anything remotely close to that.

We had a last gasp win against a Bok side that killed us in the breakdown and the scrums for most of the game. No one is saying we're gonna win the RC, Bled and the RWC this year on the back of this - they're just patting Moore on the back for showing some balls at the end and making a decision that could win a game rather than draw it.

Even after all that though, I think most of us aren't predicting any great achievements being on the cusp for the Wallabies.

Don't get me wrong - I think the win was a pretty special one: its been a long time since we could have come back from that type of deficit.
Its the idea that suddenly we've burst into this positive mindset of going for the try/win: I just think we got to a lineout by a process of elimination - couldnt kick an easier goal so we have to go for the win.
Mind you there's some comfort in the fact that we were actually able to throw the ball in sufficiently straight to the lineout! Thats a big improvement in and of itself.
This weekend will be very interesting - whatever the result: we'll see how many corners we've turned.
I just hope it isnt 4.
(right angled ones)

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Physicality? If anything it lifted with both of them out there. I think we need a paradigm shift, stop referring to them as two open sides and start referring to them as two world class flankers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah, the good old days of left and right flankers. Could work again!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
He was thinking there was still enough time for a restart and to get back down the other end for another penalty or drop goal - which there was.

Moore actually said so. He must be another reminder than you can excel at something with virtually no understanding of it. Fortunately there's the Internet, which knows better than either Horan or Moore.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Moore actually said so. He must be another reminder than you can excel at something with virtually no understanding of it. Fortunately there's the Internet, which knows better than either Horan or Moore.
Well then my respect for Moore has just plummeted.
Logically, if you take the PG you are actually settling for a draw because you cannot be certain of getting back down the Saffer end.
If you are committed to the winning way you have to take the try chance because that is the only way you can control whether you win or not, as they actually showed.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It was world cup style rugby. Tie the game when there's time to win it afterwards, roll the dice when there isn't. Calling it a courageous decision isn't accurate or deep analysis. It was generally in line with how most would play knockout rugby, so it shows that Moore knows how to Captain. An appropriate decision, given as the Bokke are a potential first up opponent in the quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.