• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks, Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Very critical analysis of what I thought was an improved performance by the Wobs, at least worthy of a few kinder remarks. I thought Horne ran a lot of decoy lines, maybe not recieving the ball but drawing defence instead. Elsom looked great to me. Seagulled a bit, but he was always moving and involved; actually led by example instead of saying he needs to.

Probably, we got the easy stuff fixed - our defence, but in attack we were just too one out and selfish. Now that is down to both the support runners and the ball carrier. Against the ABs we will be punished more severely.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I feel sorry for Matty Hodgson. Deans finally uses his bench (injuries happen) and Hodgo aint playing. I think he would've suited last night's style of play as well.

Cyril Towers (30)
I feel sorry for Matty Hodgson. Deans finally uses his bench (injuries happen) and Hodgo aint playing. I think he would've suited last night's style of play as well.

Agree, but I thought McAlman made the most of his cameo. I think his ball carry had a lot to do with Genia's try. Hit it hard, got over the gain line by a few metres and made the ball available quickly. He's got a big future.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Probably, we got the easy stuff fixed - our defence, but in attack we were just too one out and selfish. Now that is down to both the support runners and the ball carrier. Against the ABs we will be punished more severely.

Yeah, theres no disagreeing with that; the AB's will be another step up. If we want to win, the Wallabies have to fire up. Brissy's record against the Boks was talked up a bit, but dont forget we beat the AB's in Melbourne not that long ago (thanks to a bit of Morty brilliance). It's definetely possible, and if the Wallabies can succeed in taking their game to another level, they'll have a really good chance at beating the AB's.

BTW, will Sharpie miss any time because of the tooth?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
If Cooper is banned for a week or 2, is the logical replacement Barnes? Leave Giteau where he is improving at inside centre and let Barnes come in, who is extremely solid and knows how Gits plays anyway.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
What most impressed me last night was as Lee Grant said, the vibe of the team. I had not been confident all week but when I saw Bennnnn Robinson almost laughing with excitement after the anthems I was pretty sure we were going to get up.

For those at the ground how did the anthem rate? I think it is amazing how much of a difference a good anthem can make. The best example I have ever witnessed of that was Scotland vs England in the last 5 nations match of 1999. Stirring stuff that had such an impact on the players they were never going to lose.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Anthem wasn't particularly good at the ground I thought, then again I don't think we really have much of a "pump up" anthem anyway.

Does anyone else think it might not be too ludicrous to keep starting Fainga'a ahead of Moore? I like that kid more ever time I see him play.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Moore looked lighter on his feet than I have seen him. I would start him. Fiangaa is getting better every game and didn't look out of place.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
S Finger is still a work in progress, but has taken huge strides this year. Moore is the complete package and was very impressive when he came on last night. I would start him next week.

I thought Saia was fantastic in the loose last night and he filled the TPN role of just smashing blokes very well. He needs to be a better scrummager though.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Has certainly read the TPN tackling textbook. Dive at their knees. A technical ref might penalise them for not using arms.

Reactions: DPK

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The only thing I think we were lacking last night was a powerful ball running forward in the mould of a Palu or TPN (dont know if that has been said already, frankly can't be arsed to scroll through 19 pages). Not to say our forwards weren't all solid ball runners, but we didnt have the impact the ABs have with Reid, Kaino and Thorn. We got caught behind the advantage line a few times because of it, which could cost us in Melbourne.

That's why I would have Higgers for Dick Brown. Brown wasnt bad, had a few good touches, but lacks the impact we need from an 8.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
That's why I would have Higgers for Dick Brown. Brown wasnt bad, had a few good touches, but lacks the impact we need from an 8.

Thought Brown had a strong game last night and deserves to hold onto his spot.

This Higginbotham bloke seems to get better every week that he doesn't play ! Deadset, the hype machine is in overdrive. He's a talent. But I certainly have never seen Higginbotham do a convincing Palu impersonation. I haven't seen him make the hard yards in tight. So far what I've seen is a pussycat who seagulls out wide a hell of a lot. So when people act like he's a hard funt who'll crack heads, I do wonder what they're basing that on.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I base it on S14 form, where he was one of the best ball runners in a good Reds pack. I don't want him to crack heads necessarily, just make the advantage line with ball in hand, something Brown struggles to do.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I base it on S14 form, where he was one of the best ball runners in a good Reds pack. I don't want him to crack heads necessarily, just make the advantage line with ball in hand, something Brown struggles to do.

Brown had his head in the ruck most of the night and his few carries were met by SPies and Kanko easily. A problem? for me was Elsom finding his running game in the centres or on the wing. Against a side that actually commits to the ruck such as England or the ABs will require Elsom to get tighter and do the hard stuff. Perhaps this was the game plan and Deans anticipated the Boks would not contest the rucks, that won't be the case next week and people should not expect to see Elsom in the centres or on the Wing making those runs against the ABs.

I agree regarding the need for a heavy traffic runner and if we don't have one manufacture one by committing two backrowers ie Elsom and Higginbum/Brown to the carry by one trucking it into contact and then have the second arrive quickly and drive the tackler and tacklee forward. 5 metres over advantage line quick recycle and move point of attack or go again close to ruck if pillars are slow. Body height and leg drive by the player trucking up is the key to this.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyone watched the post-match videos on the ARU website's RugbyTV page? Elsom looks absolutely exhausted, and Brown has the Crimean War look down pat. Pocock looked like he tried to tackle a bus at one point during the match when he was recieving physio attention.

They may not have played the best ever performance for a backrow, but they bloody well looked the part.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Anyone watched the post-match videos on the ARU website's RugbyTV page? Elsom looks absolutely exhausted, and Brown has the Crimean War look down pat. Pocock looked like he tried to tackle a bus at one point during the match when he was recieving physio attention.

They may not have played the best ever performance for a backrow, but they bloody well looked the part.

For me the back typified the total commitment we saw last night. We might not have enough class to beat the AB's at the moment, but I'll settle for the endeavour shown in this game. They seemed to really play for each other and that was very pleasing for me.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As I posted before, the step up in attitude and application (if not finesse) is what really pleased me. Some of the guys look like they've gone 10 rounds with Tyson (minus the ear-nibbling). Rocky looked wasted, and Dick Brown needs a CT scan - or does he always sound like that??

Status
Not open for further replies.