• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Great stats and I think this statement sums it up subject to one question.
Do we Have less carries or the same number for less metres?
If the former it's a structure issue and if the latter it's a personnel issue, I reckon.
Love to see Coleman + Arnld ths week

As long as one or other, or even both step up to do the ruck work Douglas has been doing. Or some front rowers do. Tight 5 work is a bit light.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I read somewhere that de Klerk said that Genia was his hero when growing up. Hence the jersey swap I suspect.

I'd love it to continue by the way.
I just wonder what the sponsors think of it.

Good to see as a spectator though

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Re the apparent lower than expected work rate at ruck time by our front row. It's not so many years ago that we were bemoaning the fact that our front rowers couldn't hold up a scrum, that they were being selected for their work around the ground, and that it would be preferable if we just had pot plants who knew how to scrum but left everything else alone. Maybe we've got a bit of what we thought we wanted.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't give a flying fuck what the sponsors think about it - it's a rugby tradition.
For something that's a tradition you certainly don't see a lot of it happening hence my comment that it probably rubs the corporates the wrong way.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Re the apparent lower than expected work rate at ruck time by our front row. It's not so many years ago that we were bemoaning the fact that our front rowers couldn't hold up a scrum, that they were being selected for their work around the ground, and that it would be preferable if we just had pot plants who knew how to scrum but left everything else alone. Maybe we've got a bit of what we thought we wanted.

I have been one of those demanding that our front row is selected on scrummaging ability But I also expect that they will use the same basic physical skills you need for scrums to hit rucks and move bodies and make tackles in close.

I do not expect our front row to run 60 metres and score in the corner. I also don't expect that they will do scything covering tackles on wingers. We have other players to do that. What I do expect is that in 50 minutes they will hit 20 rucks and make 10 good tackles, missing no more than one. Only Slipper and TPN are even close to that and neither can get a run on spot. None of the other front rowers selected are within cooee of making those KPI's.

More than any other improvement across the team, more than any fiddling with the backline, dropping the Pooper (why not drop both since we can't decide which one?), dropping Mumm and replacing him with our particular favorite, getting the front row to do a good day's work would make the most improvement in our rotten results this year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have been one of those demanding that our front row is selected on scrummaging ability But I also expect that they will use the same basic physical skills you need for scrums to hit rucks and move bodies and make tackles in close.

I do not expect our front row to run 60 metres and score in the corner. I also don't expect that they will do scything covering tackles on wingers. We have other players to do that. What I do expect is that in 50 minutes they will hit 20 rucks and make 10 good tackles, missing no more than one. Only Slipper and TPN are even close to that and neither can get a run on spot. None of the other front rowers selected are within cooee of making those KPI's.

More than any other improvement across the team, more than any fiddling with the backline, dropping the Pooper (why not drop both since we can't decide which one?), dropping Mumm and replacing him with our particular favorite, getting the front row to do a good day's work would make the most improvement in our rotten results this year.

How was the front row during the world cup? Has it been a drop in work-rate this year or was it simply less noticeable during the RWC?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Have always believed in a front row that was busy. Good scrummaging and work ethic around the field.

For fucks sake Scott Sio didn't have 1 legitimate run in fucking 50 minutes.

How is that possible? Says to me that he is bludging out there and should be replaced in the 23 by someone who desperately wants to play for the country.

Overall,I thought our intention and effort were good

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Scored a grouse try that wasn't given though. It was a try every day of the week.
There is little between Sio and Slipper in scrummaging. For mine Sipper is better around the paddock. His running and offloading game is exactly what we need to bring us up to speed and he is at least as busy as Sio in defense.

I would not be surprised if he is carrying an injury Lindommer.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Scott is looking down on impact isn't he...I also would wager he's got some kind of niggle. Same thing when he usurped slipper originally. Slips has dodgy shoulders and was struggling along so Sio grabbed the spot.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
G'day Seb V

Check the RWC Final ruck wrap-up and it makes comments on Front Row during the RWC.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/rwc-final-ruck-analysis-all-blacks-v-wallabies/

The one thing that the data says is that this is not a just-now issue, Its been that way for a long time. Retallick hit 40 rucks in the WC final. It would take Moore four games on average to amass that total and Sio and Kepu even more. Even then, our finishers were hitting rucks when the starters weren't, so its a long term trend.

Imagine how good we'll be when we finally wake up to the fact that hard work brings results.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think full contact is a feature of Cheika training sessions.
I don't believe that players would be needling up for a training session.

I remember watching an interview with Nathan Hindmarsh on his retirement he said that by half way through the season the majority of the team was being needled and his idea of a good pro was a guy whose performance didn't drop noticeably while playing wounded

I would be amazed to see any difference in rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.