• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Thoughts:-
- This game went pretty much as expected. The US were good enough to frustrate the wallabies for 40 minutes, but could only hang with us for so long.
-The main highlight of the game for me was our scrum. absolute domination from the wallabies. Great sign heading into the RWC. Foley's goal kicking was also excellent.
- I thought some of the tight five players played very well. Slipper, TPN and Douglas were busy and very physical. I really cant see TPN making it through the world cup without picking out an injury at some point, looking at the way he ran into contact all night. Great stuff though.
- McMahon was the standout backrower, but I thought both Palu and McCalman looked good.
- The backline play left a bit to be desired. The selection of Speight at 13 didn't really work. Giteau didn't really try to take on the line like we want at 12. I think part of the was a lack of respect for the opposition in the first half, by trying to go around them. It's an unfortunate trait of Wallabies sides when they play these types of games; they all too often try to avoid the grunt work and just play touch footy. In actual fact the right move tactically was to play the game in the forward, where our dominance was obvious.
- For me, Tomane showed why we shouldn't be in our best 23. He's decent with ball in hand, but his defense is patchy.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
You speak very good English for a Australian.

No, I am a kiwi. Hence my grasp of the english language is superior to the average poster on this board. I dare say my grasp of WW2 history is probably better than yours as well.

Have a look at my icons and avatar. There are some subtle hints as to my nationality.

Scottyphd

Frank Row (1)
No, I am a kiwi. Hence my grasp of the english language is superior to the average poster on this board. I dare say my grasp of WW2 history is probably better than yours as well.

Have a look at my icons and avatar. There are some subtle hints as to my nationality.

Relax its only jokes lol

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Capitalise the proper noun, old chap.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Sir Richie GOAT has been a colossus in the openside position for years, but seriously how blessed have the Wallabies been? What a pipeline.

Smith, Waugh, Pocock, Hooper, McMahon and Gill. Plenty of talent and depth.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The first half, apart from the return of the initial kickoff, the Wallabies played NH 10 man rugby. If the ball got past either Foley or Giteau (playing first receiver) it invariably went to McMahon or TPN running the 12 channel. It looked bad, and had a poor result.

Genia in the second half improved matters markedly, with his inclination to snipe from the ruck or scrum base taking some defensive pressure off the players outside him. Even so, the ball rarely made its way to the 13 or wingers until the last 20 minutes. Even the commentators noted that Horne got his first touch in attack at the 53 minute mark.

This was simply unacceptable from our 9, 10 and 12 combination that started the game.

Certainly, Folau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will come into the starting 15 for the main RWC matches, but before anyone criticises the outside backs in this game, they should really have a long hard look at the way the ball stopped at the 12 position for the first 60 minutes. After that, they showed on a few occasions that they have the skills to be in the squad.

For the USA, the No 12 outplayed Giteau in that spot. Very strong in defgense and had a few strong carries as well.

McMahon MOTM for me. He is just an all round excellent rugby player who unfortunately for him is behind a couple of champions in line for the starting Wallabies' side. Mumm was also strong when he came on and Genia was much better than Phipps. Front row was very good, and Douglas was the pick of the locks.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Can someone clarify for me - now that Taquele took the field, he can't play for any other nation unless he sits out the 18 months in whatever other nation (e.g Scotland) or what?

That doesn't sound right even as I'm typing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He could do the 7s loophole at some point in the future, but the likelihood of that is somewhere between 0 and 0.5%

S

saulih

image.jpg

Apparently they never sold out in the $200 section. So they were asking people as they entered where they were sitting and upgrading there seats. I had bought two $45 tickets on the second level and got promoted to the 10 meter line twelve rows from the front. Absolutely loved it. Feel bad for those that did fork out the big dollars ahead of time. Official crowd announced at the field was 23000 plus. Second largest test match crowd in USA rugby history.

Status
Not open for further replies.