• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales (Cardiff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
That loss is on the coaching staff IMO.

There are some losses where it's hard to blame the coaches (just wait, hear me out). Easy tackles are missed, brain-snap decisions cost us players/points, and we botch the simple things.

This was not one of those games. The players, more or less, showed up. The forwards ran and tackled hard. There was no shortage of effort or enthusiasm, and we didn't concede the soft YC that we are prone to.

But our game plan was woeful. Our set piece was shambolic. And the fault for that rests with the coaching staff. We had a game for the taking, and only conceded 9 points. But we were playing park footy, and we didn't seem to have any trust in our plan or systems.

i was amazed at how many times we went in to contact upright or did one out hitups with no support. Thats not a talent issue, yes the players should know better but its the coaches job to address such easily fixable things

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'm just speechless that we didn't go for the sticks at the 50 minute mark when it was 3-3?

I get it when you are in a 30-30 shootout and 4 tries deep already (actually, I would kick then too), but when you haven't looked like scoring all day? Poor captaincy.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree , Hooper had a poor game across the field , both tactically and in general play.
Was ineffective at the breakdown , missed two cleanouts in the first half that lead directly to turnovers to the Welsh 7. He seemed to be running at gaps rather than support lines for the ball carrier and as a result left the ball carrier isolated too many times. Have to agree with Gnostic's comments that Hooper is not the best 7 in the country, yet he is our captain and seems that wont change anytime soon given he has just signed a five year contract for big money. Poey gets picked at 8 to fill the gaps Hooper leaves as a 7 while he is busy running as a link player/ extra centre. The whole balance of forward pack is out of wack as a result. Hooper to the bench for mine, with a 20 minute run at the end of games where his speed and link play might get rewarded.

2014/15 was quite some time ago now and plenty of rugby lessons should have been learnt, yet the Wallabies role out the same stuff ( and players! ) over and over again. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome each time?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
And often just gets in the way of the backs. Hooper should be benched

is that all though?

Is Hooper capable enough at other positions to deserve a bench spot? Ideally Pocock would play the whole game so you would have Hooper backing up another spot.

I think he either starts at 7 or does not get picked at all

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm just speechless that we didn't go for the sticks at the 50 minute mark when it was 3-3?

I get it when you are in a 30-30 shootout and 4 tries deep already (actually, I would kick then too), but when you haven't looked like scoring all day? Poor captaincy.

I have never understood why we will have 10 phases in front of the posts 20 metres out with no ground being made and not take a field goal, points are there to be taken.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree , Hooper had a poor game across the field , both tactically and in general play.
Was ineffective at the breakdown , missed two cleanouts in the first half that lead directly to turnovers to the Welsh 7. He seemed to be running at gaps rather than support lines for the ball carrier and as a result left the ball carrier isolated too many times. Have to agree with Gnostic's comments that Hooper is not the best 7 in the country, yet he is our captain and seems that wont change anytime soon given he has just signed a five year contract for big money. Poey gets picked at 8 to fill the gaps Hooper leaves as a 7 while he is busy running as a link player/ extra centre. The whole balance of forward back is out of wack as a result. Hooper to the bench for mine, with a 20 minute run at the end of games where his speed and link play might get rewarded.

2014/15 was quite some time ago now and plenty of rugby lessons should have been learnt, yet the Wallabies role out the same stuff ( and players! ) over and over again. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome each time?

There lies the truth... Cheika’s & Hooper’s future is linked...

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hooped won’t see out a 5 year contract in his current role... no one really knows what’s is the detail of his contract... and it’s his business anyway

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have never understood why we will have 10 phases in front of the posts 20 metres out with no ground being made and not take a field goal, points are there to be taken.

Because , like tactical kicking in general play, the art of kicking field goals has been hounded out of Australian rugby by the romantic notion that only "running rugby" (whatever that really means) will suffice.

Interestingly, although Mark Ella is remebered for scoring a try in every test on the 1984 grand slam tour, in 25 tests he scored 6 tries and kicked 8 field goals. But facts like these are conveniently ignored by the "running rugby" puritans, who have so misrepresented the facts in the past two decades. The truth of the matter is that true running rugby can only be played with a dominant forward pack which can secure it's own scrum and lineout, with a backline which has a tactical kicking game and the ability to score points through goal-kicking.

The mad idea that it's possible to do otherwise is sporting insanity at its worst.

http://www.espnscrum.com/timeline/rugby/player/9209.html

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'd also like to compliment the Kiwi referee on his handling of the game, particularly the non-involvement of the TMO in the late tackle on the Welsh fullback. I actually thought that he got the decision wrong and it should have been a Welsh penalty, BUT it's not something he should be referring to the TMO. I'm happy that the onfield referee made the call.

This is the best performance by a Kiwi referee in years. I think Colin Hawke was the last good referee that they produced.

Contrast the O'Keefe non-involvement of the TMO, with the disgraceful TMO involvement at the end of the ABs v England match.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I'd also like to compliment the Kiwi referee on his handling of the game, particularly the non-involvement of the TMO in the late tackle on the Welsh fullback. I actually thought that he got the decision wrong and it should have been a Welsh penalty, BUT it's not something he should be referring to the TMO. I'm happy that the onfield referee made the call.

This is the best performance by a Kiwi referee in years. I think Colin Hawke was the last good referee that they produced.

Contrast the O'Keefe non-involvement of the TMO, with the disgraceful TMO involvement at the end of the ABs v England match.

I’m very critical of referees and hardly noticed his presence during the game. Let the game flow where possible, was fairly consistent and for the most part made good decisions. Was great to see

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
And just reflecting on the WC side, and the video posted above.

Man we are missing Stephen Moore. Haven't even gone close to replacing him since retirement. Don't think I appreciated him enough while he was still around

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
That loss is on the coaching staff IMO.

There are some losses where it's hard to blame the coaches (just wait, hear me out). Easy tackles are missed, brain-snap decisions cost us players/points, and we botch the simple things.

This was not one of those games. The players, more or less, showed up. The forwards ran and tackled hard. There was no shortage of effort or enthusiasm, and we didn't concede the soft YC that we are prone to.

But our game plan was woeful. Our set piece was shambolic. And the fault for that rests with the coaching staff. We had a game for the taking, and only conceded 9 points. But we were playing park footy, and we didn't seem to have any trust in our plan or systems.

Was Beale continually kicking up the field to the Welsh back 3 also part of the game plan? It was at that stage I nearly threw the remote control through the TV screen. If I'd known it would have hit him I would have. When Beale is bad, he's awful.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Was Beale continually kicking up the field to the Welsh back 3 also part of the game plan? It was at that stage I nearly threw the remote control through the TV screen. If I'd known it would have hit him I would have. When Beale is bad, he's awful.

We've been kicking the ball down the middle of the field for at least two years. No just Beale, all of them.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
What happens to Hopper when both No.8s Naisarani and Valentini are available. Does Cheika bench Pocock and keeps his Captain... and for the record Lachlan McCaffrey had a brilliant super season and should be in the team as a possible 6.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Oh how I remember being pilloried on these threads for suggesting that Eddie Jones was a better option than Michael Cheika all those years ago.

When he coached the Wallabies previously, I was a critic. Maybe, just maybe, he is the right man for the job at the moment.

Churchill was yesterday's man until the time of crisis but he was the man for the crisis.

I'm a big cheika fan and I think he'll make a great Wallaby coach, but I don't think this is his time.

The ideal candidate is an Australian, not currently working in Australia at the professional level, has the experience at the top level, can deal with recalcitrant players and a pathetic governing body and would have the respect (not the approval) of the players.

E. Jones & S. Johnson are the only 2 names that come to mind

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...ckenzie-resignation.14950/page-19#post-679544

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but many of the Cheika haters now led the fan club 4 years ago and completely rubbished Eddie Jones' coaching credentials. Hmmm, wonder if Pulver and Hawker made the right call with the Cheika appointment.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.