• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales: Name Your Best XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
i for one dont wanna see the wallabies flooded with newbies
good on mogg for having a great start to the season- let him have 2 more to the point where his record is demanding selection
how often does someone in their first s15 season get a run for the all blacks?
test rugby i think, is more about experience and not making mistakes

I don't think anyone is seriously stating that a player such as Mogg will be rushed into the starting XV against the All Blacks...

Obviously that's an example where the position is already covered by the incumbent Beale...

But, with the way he's playing (and several others), he/they could be a possible squad member or end of year tourist...

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
To be fair, Jones has probably picked a decent representation of an "in form" team, although I don't quite agree with it...
I wouldn't even go as far as to suggest that the Brumbies are an "in form" team. With all the hype surrounding the Brumbies, and the negative stories being written about the Reds and Tahs - most would be surprised to realise that only 3 points separates the 3 sides.
The Brumbies have won 4 of 7 games with all 4 of their wins at home. 3 of the 4 wins were against the Rebels, Force and Cheetahs - so they're still yet to prove themselves against the recent finalists like the bulls, stormers, crusaders, sharks, reds, tahs etc. (notwithstanding that, they did beat the highlanders who are travelling well - so congrats there).
It seems to me that following last years performances / this years expectations, the Brumbies have surprised a few people while the Reds and Tahs are still looking to get back into gear. It's certainly no reason to make wholesale changes to the Wallabies and after 'the Samoa incident', I sure hope they don't.

C

Cave Dweller

The 10 12 positions look like the hardest decisions to make if Cooper is not ready. Dont wanna be the coach IMO

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't even go as far as to suggest that the Brumbies are an "in form" team. With all the hype surrounding the Brumbies, and the negative stories being written about the Reds and Tahs - most would be surprised to realise that only 3 points separates the 3 sides.
The Brumbies have won 4 of 7 games with all 4 of their wins at home. 3 of the 4 wins were against the Rebels, Force and Cheetahs - so they're still yet to prove themselves against the recent finalists like the bulls, stormers, crusaders, sharks, reds, tahs etc. (notwithstanding that, they did beat the highlanders who are travelling well - so congrats there).
It seems to me that following last years performances / this years expectations, the Brumbies have surprised a few people while the Reds and Tahs are still looking to get back into gear. It's certainly no reason to make wholesale changes to the Wallabies and after 'the Samoa incident', I sure hope they don't.

Like I said before, I don't think anyone is calling for 'wholesale changes'... but simply naming players who are currently in form...

If they continue this way, there will be a number of Brumbies' newbies who will deserve squad callup though...

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
ok ill have a go, i obviously dont think representing the country is the time for experiments

1-robinson -best @ scrum time-
2-moore -been numero uno for a couple of seasons now
3-kepu -if nothing else can provide a solid scrum
4-horwill -i dont doubt his effort as cap but i do doubt his decisions and the lack of leadership when it counted in the wc
5-sharpe -needed for lineouts
6- mowen -over higgenbotham for work in tight
7-pocock (c) -theres no point waiting till horwill gets injured, pocock taking over, then keeping the c when horwill returns- jus do it already
8-palu -impact on the game is like no other 8 in aus
9-genia (vc) -plays better with responsibility and the forward pack above can provide clean ball
10- barnes -test player and distributes better from 10 than oconner
11- ioane -i doubt a person in this hemishere would doubt this selection
12 oconner -playing 12 week in week out, will prolly stay here when cooper returns
13- mccabe -wanna see if this works, expect 'herbert like' performances
14- ashley cooper -has to be in the team
15- beale -nuff said

16- alexander- can play both sides is why hes here but damn hes gotta improve the scrums
17-polota-nau -would love to have him start to keep the tah scrum together but moores all over him the last 2 seasons
18- pyle -when hes out performing sharpe then he can take his spot
19-hodgeson -never again shall we be without adequate 7 cover
20-higgenbtham -loose style better at the end of a game
21-kingi/white- the next month to decide this
22-tapuaieeeoooo or whatever he now wants to be called - keeps getting better and better

obviously im a firm believer that experience wins matchs
i detest the idea of rewarding selection "to see what they can do" id like to hope that by the time they are ready for selection we know what they will do and thats not make rookie errors
omissions:
slipper: what he provides around the park does not compensate for getting pushed around at scrum time
simmons: just doesnt seem to dominate, maybe in another season or two
sheehan- two good games does not make up for season upon season of slow service- willing to change this if form continues
samo: this was tough as i recon him and palu could be a great interchange combo but would be better for tri nations
cummins: has been fantastic recently i do belive that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and mccabe are ahead thou
vaea, hooper, gill, mogg, shipperly, foley: all can have man of the match performances... buts lets see em do it week in week out for a couple of seasons before giving them a cap
im all for players being in the squad for experience but last years samoa and ireland game have soured the concept of rookies for me unless they are far and away the better option
case in point: dagg> had been better in attack than muliaina for 2 seasons in s15 but mils kept his spot in the blacks for experience and he made less mistakes

P

Paradox

The Brumbies have won 4 of 7 games with all 4 of their wins at home. 3 of the 4 wins were against the Rebels, Force and Cheetahs - so they're still yet to prove themselves against the recent finalists like the bulls, stormers, crusaders, sharks, reds, tahs etc. (notwithstanding that, they did beat the highlanders who are travelling well - so congrats there)..

You are completely missing the point re the Brumbies. Nobody gave the Baby Brumbies a hope before the season started. The Wallaby-studded Tahs and Reds are currently, after 8 rounds, below them in the Aussie conference hence the negativity with regard to those sides. There is no hype or rock-star factor about the Brumbies. That's why we are all being pleasantly suriprised by their grit and results. I still don't think the Brumbies will finish head of the conference though but hope I'm wrong.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
i for one dont wanna see the wallabies flooded with newbies
good on mogg for having a great start to the season- let him have 2 more to the point where his record is demanding selection
how often does someone in their first s15 season get a run for the all blacks?
test rugby i think, is more about experience and not making mistakes

Why not apply that to everyone, then?

On that basis, Horne wouldn't have ever been capped, because he's only shown glimpses of talent in perhaps one or two games a season.

Why not reward the players who are having a great year, and are in form? That obviously doesn't mean we completely shit-can everyone, but someone like Horne should be no where near the squad this year.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Obviously you have players in the squad for development. But i think Horne has has long enough.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You have to balance out form with experience...

Nonu is the perfect example of an underachieving Super rugby player who has been the best 12 in the world for a number of years...

The question begs, when do you toss out an out of form experienced player?

Lealiifano is currently the form Aussie playmaker...

At the moment, particularly with Cooper out (and whether or not he'll capture his 2011 Super Rugby form), I'd have to stick with JOC (James O'Connor) at flyhalf, but I think that Tapuai or Lilo (leaning towards Taps) deserve the 12 jersey.

In which case I would have to have Lilo on the bench over Barnes.

And Lilo has a quality I like in both of my centres which Barnes doesn't really possess, and that's his ability to break the line and split apart defences.

I'm just not sure if Barnes has ever been good enough test wise to allow his lack of form this year to be ignored.

I think that that kind of convenience can only be awarded to the very best players...

But once again, my disclaimer: it's still only halfway through the Super rugby season, and at this stage all of those names mentioned above SHOULD be in the wider Wallaby squad this year.

P

Paradox

I want to see Lilo manage the games in SA more effectively with his boot but his running, tackling and passing are really good. Lilo has had a few good seasons to date but injury has robbed him of a chance. I remember him winning games against sides in the last minute (Bulls in Canberra stadium around 3 few years ago)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I trust you caught the game Brumbes V Rebs? Anyway, since when was being selected by your province the only way to become a Wallaby?

I did. Fardy needs to establish himself a certain starter for the Brumbies before he should even be considered for higher representation. It's his first year ffs.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Why not apply that to everyone, then?

On that basis, Horne wouldn't have ever been capped, because he's only shown glimpses of talent in perhaps one or two games a season.

Why not reward the players who are having a great year, and are in form? That obviously doesn't mean we completely shit-can everyone, but someone like Horne should be no where near the squad this year.
i agree and i would apply that to everyone it frustrates me to no end that we throw lambs to lions in their first years while kiwi and saffa players generally have to perform for a few years before they get the call up
you will note horne isnt mentioned in my above team
the issue of rewarding people who have a good debut year in super rugby by giving them debuts for the wallabies is that year is that in s15 its ok for a player to make mistakes and take risks. test rugby is no place for this. what works in s15 doesnt work in tests (ask cooper)
i dont agree with schoolboy "stars" being rushed into s15 teams and i dont agree with debutan s15 players rushed into test teams
lealiifano and mogg both need to iron out their error rate before playing for the wallabies in my opinion, too many kicks out on the full, too many gambles
take em into the squad by all means but id hope wallaby selection is worth more than half a dozen good s15 games

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jay, I'm certain that Lilos kicking in general play has been better than Barnes...

But yes, Mogg needs to fix up his radar... But no one has suggested he hold start ahead of Beale...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mogg needs to work on his technique in the tackle, just like Mitchell in his early years, he looks light and easy to turnover.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Depth chart:
Props
Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Robinson
Hookers
Moore, Hanson, TPN
Locks
Horwill (C), Sharpe, Pyle, Simmons
Flankers
Pocock, Higginbotham, Elsom, Gill, Hodgson, Robinson
8's
Palu, Samo

Halfback
Genia, White, McKibbin, Phipps
Flyhalf
Cooper (Inj), O'Connor, Leleiifano, Barnes
Inside Centre
Tapuai, O'Connor, McCabe
Outside Centre
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), A. Fainga'a
Wings
Ioane, Mitchell (Inj), Shipperley, Kingston
Fullbacks
Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
If we were playing a test this week;
1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Palmer
4 Horwill
5 Pyle
6 Higginbotham
7 Pocock
8 Mowen
9 Genia (C)
10 O'Connor
11 Shipperly
12 McCabe
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Vuna
15 Beale

16 TPN
17 Kepu
18 Simmonds
19 Palu/Samo
20 Hooper
21 White
22 Barnes

Down the track players like Cooper, Ioane, Drew the foxsports guy, Vickerman ?, are sure to find their way back.
Others to be considered; Slipper, Charles/Hansen, Timani, Douglas, Gill, Dennis, McCalman, Tapuia, Horne (if fit for 3 consecutive games and learns to run into gaps not players)
Pensioned - Alexander, Elsom. Hodgson, Brown

Probably 3rd favourites for the Rugby champs this year just ahead of the Argies. Hope Genia and Beale stay fit all season. 6 and 8 are continuing problems with no outstanding players in those positions coming through as yet. A young Willie O or Kefu would be handy.

C

Cave Dweller

What is JOC (James O'Connor) best position? Wing, center or flyhalf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom