• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies versus Wales- SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
How about instead of taking the gamble and seeing if Timani turns into something, using the oppourtunity while we still have Sharpe to develop Pyle at international level.

Or we could use Sharpe to develop Timani at this level? I don't see how we are gambling on one player and developing another?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Because Pyle appears to have a more polished skill set but lacks Timani's X factor. Even though still young, he is more of a known quantity than Timani. If they both develop to their full potential, Timani should be the superior Lock, but at this point I would rate Pyle as a 90% likelihood of developing to his full potential, with Timani at 50%.

It's like backing a horse at long odd's, the payoff is better but less likely to come.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah I agree you need a lock on the bench, that's been a bit bizarre from the get go. It would've made sense to drop Hooper, even though he is has been playing well it makes more sense to have more back-line cover for Beale. Dennis who has been playing well also is better cover for Palu/Higgers. I'm not a Harris fan at all, and I don't think he would make a full strength Reds 22, but the selections from Deans in this case just don't make sense, which ever way you look at it.

I think Hooper is also there to cover a back position at a pinch. Would do fine in the IC channel.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You believe what you want to believe Slim 293. IMO, statistically, (and perhaps historically), MH will win you more games than KB (Kurtley Beale)!

I would've liked to see Harris keep his bench spot too but on the games won thing, I remember Beale kicking us to victory against Sth Africa after full time from a similar spot, albeit it on the other side of the field. So that would make it one all in the games won stakes. ;)

It was also back in the day when we couldn't seem to beat anyone and I think the victory over the Saffas was even on thier turf. That was the day I started liking Kurtley Beale. :D

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The kick KB (Kurtley Beale) slotted in Bloemfontein was much more difficult than Harris' kick last Saturday. It was from a lot further out. KB (Kurtley Beale) took it because he is the long range kicker. Harris certainly can't kick that far, even at altitude.

That said, it's kind of an irrelevant comparison. I think KB (Kurtley Beale) has provided much more to the Wallabies in recent years than just that penalty goal. KB (Kurtley Beale) is never in the side for his goalkicking whereas that is the biggest asset Harris has. In most Wallaby teams KB (Kurtley Beale) is going to be our third choice kicker.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The kick KB (Kurtley Beale) slotted in Bloemfontein was much more difficult than Harris' kick last Saturday. It was from a lot further out. KB (Kurtley Beale) took it because he is the long range kicker. Harris certainly can't kick that far, even at altitude.

That said, it's kind of an irrelevant comparison. I think KB (Kurtley Beale) has provided much more to the Wallabies in recent years than just that penalty goal. KB (Kurtley Beale) is never in the side for his goalkicking whereas that is the biggest asset Harris has. In most Wallaby teams KB (Kurtley Beale) is going to be our third choice kicker.

Yeah my comment was completely tongue in cheek. I never meant to say Aussie Mike was in the same league as Kurtley. I was more trying to poke fun at the Harris will win you more games than Beale comment.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think their similarity creates an element of synergy. Also they're not carbon copies of each other and the differences in their abilities still gives that centre combination enough dynamism.

Also I just think Pat McCabe is awesome. He will literally run at anything (sometimes this isn't helpful but for the most part I love his boldness).

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I would've liked to see Harris keep his bench spot too but on the games won thing, I remember Beale kicking us to victory against Sth Africa after full time from a similar spot, albeit it on the other side of the field. So that would make it one all in the games won stakes. ;)

It was also back in the day when we couldn't seem to beat anyone and I think the victory over the Saffas was even on thier turf. That was the day I started liking Kurtley Beale. :D

Fair comment Scoey, those moments seem to stick with us, in some ways more than great tries, probably because a conversion/penalty goal can win you a game more often than a try, (or does that just appear to be the case). Some other such occassions that come to mind involved John Eales, Stirlo and JOC (James O'Connor), but I suspect there are dozens of such moments in the Wallaby's history!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Mr and Mrs Doug are both mad...

Seriously though, Harris was only in the squad because after Barnes there was no one left standing to play flyhalf.

Mike Harris: 9 points from 2 tests (one lasting 6 minutes) = 4.5 average.
Kurtley Beale: 51 points from 22 tests = 2.31 average.

Perhaps you're the one with the health problem dear chap!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez, that means Mike Harris is almost double the player KB (Kurtley Beale) is!!

With Harris in the side surely we can't lose!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tim Wallace with 20 points in 2 tests (one as a replacement) must be the greatest Wallaby ever?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mike Harris: 9 points from 2 tests (one lasting 6 minutes) = 4.5 average.
Kurtley Beale: 51 points from 22 tests = 2.31 average.

Perhaps you're the one with the health problem dear chap!

Are you suggesting Julian Huxley should be in the squad over Beale?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah my comment was completely tongue in cheek. I never meant to say Aussie Mike was in the same league as Kurtley. I was more trying to poke fun at the Harris will win you more games than Beale comment.

Scoey, referring to the stats. from my above post (replying to Slim 293), and given they are both 23 years old, we will see at the end of their careers how they line up! So far, on "value to the team" (on points scored), MH is way ahead of KB (Kurtley Beale). I don't dislike KB (Kurtley Beale), however some members are making unrealistic comparisons when Harris is only just starting his test career.
Compare their pre-test careers, there's nothing in it:
MH: North Harbour and Reds = 392 points from 50 matches = 7.84 average.
KB (Kurtley Beale): Warratahs and Rebels = 393 points from 50 matches = 7.86 average.

You may have forgotten that MH broke the Super Rugby record for consecutive goals kicked (24). You probably don't know that he broke John Eales' Queensland and Australian record for most goals kicked in a match with 9 (7 penalties and 2 conversions), which makes your comment that I have highlighted look pretty stupid, Scoey!!

Status
Not open for further replies.