1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs All Blacks 10th August @Optus Stadium Perth

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by Tomikin, Jul 28, 2019.

1. KOB1987 Paul McLean (56)

There's plenty of point when one is Hooper and the other is Pocock.
  2. Joe Blow Peter Fenwicke (45)

I’d say so. Naisarani brings exactly what was needed to compliment the pooper. With Pocock we also all of a sudden have massive breakdown presence and increased defensive capability. He gets through at least as much work as any tight 5 player.

If he remains fit Cheika will probably mix it up a bit but revert to the pooper for the big games.
    KOB1987 likes this.
  3. dru Paul McLean (56)

Can’t drop Dempsey yet. LSL hasn’t proven at 6. Edit and Jones was less than impressive
    Rugbynutter39 likes this.
  4. Rugbynutter39 Greg Davis (50)

Pocock covers 7 and 8, and as much as big fan of Samu - Pocock would get the bench spot behind Hooper every day of the week. And yes you could argue for Pocock starting over Hooper but no point going there. And that means unless injury means Samu sadly would miss out on match day 23.
    Seb V and KOB1987 like this.
  5. KOB1987 Paul McLean (56)

Interestingly I think Pocock would have to play 7 to maximise the breakdown presence and Hooper play 6, his style is more of a 6 anyway, without the size. No-one has stepped up at 6, I reckon it will happen. Subject to Poey's fitness of course.
    Joe Blow likes this.
  6. Up the Guts John Thornett (49)

No disrespect to LSL because I think he’s a great bench lock option but apart from the lineout playing the Pooper with Naisarani can only be an upgrade from LSL. He had something like 5 touches and 4 of them were turnovers conceded. I wish Valetini had got a shot in the last few games though, he seems to have the best skillset of any 6 we have.
    Brumby Runner likes this.
  7. Seb V Peter Sullivan (51)

Pocock covers all 3 spots too? Cheika has played him at 6 and 8 in the past.

I'd rather Pocock then Samu, unlucky for Samu but that's the reality.
  8. Seb V Peter Sullivan (51)

All true around the park.except we lose a solid line-out option.
  9. Rugbynutter39 Greg Davis (50)

I hope at least Samu gets RWC squad place as if he was to miss out I would feel after his SR season form he would have every reason to feel very unlucky.
    Seb V and KOB1987 like this.
  10. Derpus Paul McLean (56)

Be madness not to take him.
    Rugbynutter39 likes this.
  11. dru Paul McLean (56)

Having played there does not mean he covers the position. He covers 7. 7 only. Outside that you play him out of position.
    Brumby Runner likes this.
  12. Derpus Paul McLean (56)

It sucks we have to wait two whole weeks for this.
  13. Joe Blow Peter Fenwicke (45)

More time for the boys coming back to get fit
  14. TSR Peter Fenwicke (45)

So...wait... we like the Pooper now?
    Tex and Derpus like this.
  15. Up the Guts John Thornett (49)

Well, it’d be an upgrade on LSL at 6 but then again most combinations would. I’d like to see Valetini or Dempsey given a shot (even Jones despite his dumb shit on Saturday) before we try the Pooper though.
    Derpus likes this.
  16. Ulrich Vay Wilson (31)

Wallabies gotta keep their eyes on Barret :D

boyo, Scoey, Derpus and 2 others like this.
  17. Hawko John Hipwell (52)

This is all predicated on a 5:3 bench. If Cheika runs a 6:2 bench then Samu, Hooper and Pocock could play, but probably only one of those three would start. I would start Jones next week to give him a chance to show what he's got. He's not the sort of player you give 15 minutes to show impact, he's more of a workhorse 6 who can get around the park. IMO he's a better balance for the backrow, particularly against the Darkness.

Given the flexibility we have in the backs, we could probably cover 10-15 with just one player - say JOC or Pez's other half.
    Seb V likes this.
  18. Derpus Paul McLean (56)

Didn't he miss anyway? can't remember.
  19. Ulrich Vay Wilson (31)

He kicked that one.
  20. Derpus Paul McLean (56)

Cheeky devil