• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs All Blacks 10th August @Optus Stadium Perth

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep a bit surprised about Fifita ahead of Frizell, but sure there a reason ( maybe covering lock until Scott B back?). Pleased Jacobson still there, hope he gets a look at a bench role .

Jacobson needs to be the starting 6.

They see Hemopo as a lock. Barrett with play lock with Brodie out.

Claiming Jacobson is too green is garbage - Fifita is clearly not up to it at 6 so any 'experience' he has is not valuable. Jacobson is the form 6 in NZ and played well off the bench in Argentina. Give the lad a start.

I don't expect it to happen as this AB coaching setup has completely butchered trying to replace Kaino for the last few years.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Jacobson needs to be the starting 6.

They see Hemopo as a lock. Barrett with play lock with Brodie out.

Claiming Jacobson is too green is garbage - Fifita is clearly not up to it at 6 so any 'experience' he has is not valuable. Jacobson is the form 6 in NZ and played well off the bench in Argentina. Give the lad a start.

I don't expect it to happen as this AB coaching setup has completely butchered trying to replace Kaino for the last few years.

I agree about Jacobson starting Kiwi, not sure they butchered replacing Kaino, just noone has come along.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So from that lot, and assuming S.Barrett is unavailable, I'd go with:

1. Moody
2. Coles
3. Laulala
4. Tuipulotu
5. Whitelock (C)
6. Hemopo
7. Todd/Cane
8. Savea
9. A.Smith
10. Mo'unga
11. Bridge
12. Lienert-brown
13. Goodhue
14. B.Smith
15. B.Barrett

16. Taylor
17. Moli
18. Tu'ungafasi
19. Jaconbson/Read
20. Cane/Todd
21. Weber
22. Laumape
23. Ennor

Wouldn't take Williams even if he were available, and Ioane has been poor since about the middle of the Blues season. Being beaten in the air by Frodo Baggins on the weekend was absolutely unacceptable, so he can go think about life on the sideline for a bit.

As for the forwards, Franks has been ambling along as too much of an old-school prop who can scrummage and clean breakdowns, but that's it. Swap him out for Laulala who should maintain the scrums integrity while offering more around the field. Ta'avao seems to be one of Magpie Hansen's new shiny favourites, but don't much care for him in the top squad. Plus that scrummaging effort was abominable after that first scrum. Tu'ungafasi's scrummaging has been fine for the Blues and AB's, so that kinda narrows it down I think. Would've preferred Tu'inukuafe/Tu'ungafasi from the bench, but will make do with Moli instead.

Tuipulotu gets another shot -- probably his last -- with Retallick and S.Barrett unavailable. Hemopo at blindside and to cover lock if needed, because f*ck FFSfita. With Hemopo covering lock from the field, can plop Jacobson/Read and Cane/Todd on the bench to cover the loosies.

Kind of agree with a few of your comments zer), though not sure if all of them . SBW is available, has been told to play for CM to get some rugby under his belt, he will be at WC, though I not sure if I keen on it.
Agree about Ioane, he starting to look like he's got his brother's problems, not sure I have been that impressed with him at all in last part of super season, so maybe he lacked a bit of fitness too and burnt out. Hope that not the case, but I think somehow that Reece will start if Ioane doesn't as they usually like one power runner on one wing.
I not sure about Fifita, but they must be something there to keep him in squad, though to be fair I only seen games on TV this year and not live so I will bow to those who watch him closely in games. He really is starting to look like a slightly better version of Akira to me (and I only say that because Akira at end of year was the only player that people raved about who was playing like a worse version of Akira).
But Read is a certainty to start, I like the look of Moli on bench, and think Laulala would be ok starting, but somehow think franks will still start.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
At 6 ? Dont get that. but ok.

No, at 7. Hooper would be 6. What we need to round out the balance of the back row now that Naisarani has stepped up is a bigger, breakdown proficient 7. Skills, size and aptitude-wise those 3 complement each other very well, but having sat on it for the day I think that Wright is next cycle, like Valetini, who's a genuine 6 anyway.

I really don't know what the answer is, Hooper to wear platform boots maybe.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Having played there does not mean he covers the position. He covers 7. 7 only. Outside that you play him out of position.

I don't think Samu covers 6 then or 8 adequately, as he doesn't jump in the line-out. Doesn't have the bulk to play like a damaging 8. On your basis he should be considered as a 7 only also.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We should be kicking it out and dropping the ball constantly. Only areas we might edge them seem to be lineout and scrum.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think Samu covers 6 then or 8 adequately, as he doesn't jump in the line-out. Doesn't have the bulk to play like a damaging 8. On your basis he should be considered as a 7 only also.

Not much bothered by that assessment - you may be right.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You can budget for Hooper to play 80

So the back row bench option will go on at either 6 or 8, so it depends if you want to add dynamism (Samu) or have a more "like" big unit

Against the ABs or Wales, I can see Samu, against England or the Boks I think we would need more muscle

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Dempsey is the perfect benchwarmer, behind only Pocock. If Pocock is on the bench one assumes the
At the 6 and 8 are big lineout jumping options.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)

Samu does jump in the lineout. While he may not have the bulk of Naisarani, he was one of the best ball runners for the Brumbies this year. Doesn't seem to have any trouble breaking tackles. Having been very skeptical about his merits when he made his Wallabies debut, I would now say he's an excellent candidate for the #20 shirt.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
SQUAD

Forwards
Allan Ala'alatoa (32 Tests, Brumbies, 25)
Rory Arnold (21 Tests , Brumbies, 29)
Adam Coleman (31, Melbourne Rebels, 28)
Folau Fainga’a (9 Tests, Brumbies, 24)
Michael Hooper (c) (93 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 27)
Luke Jones (4 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 28)
Sekope Kepu (105 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 33)
Tolu Latu (12 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 26)
Isi Naisarani (2 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 24)
David Pocock (77 Tests, Brumbies, 31)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (89 Tests, Leicester, 34)
Izack Rodda (19 Tests, Queensland Reds, 22)
Rob Simmons (96 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 30)
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (13, Queensland Reds, 23)
Scott Sio (56 Tests, Brumbies, 27)
James Slipper (88 Tests, Brumbies, 30)
Taniela Tupou (13 Tests, Queensland Reds, 23)
Jordan Uelese (3 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 22)
Rob Valetini (uncapped, Brumbies, 20)
Liam Wright (uncapped, Queensland Reds, 21)
Backs
Adam Ashley-Cooper (117 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 35)
Tom Banks (4 Tests, Brumbies, 25)
Kurtley Beale (85 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 30)
Bernard Foley (69 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)
Will Genia (102 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 31)
Dane Haylett-Petty (32 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 30)
Reece Hodge (35 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 24)
Samu Kerevi (27 Tests, Queensland Reds, 25)
Marika Koroibete (21 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 27)
Tevita Kuridrani (60 Tests, Brumbies, 28)
Christian Lealiifano (20 Tests, Brumbies, 31)
James O’Connor (45 Tests, Queensland Reds, 29)
Jordan Petaia (uncapped, Queensland Reds, 19)
Joe Powell (4 Tests, Brumbies, 25)
Matt To'omua (44 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 29)
Nic White (22 Tests, Exeter Chiefs, 29)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1. Sio
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. AAA's
4. Rodda
5. Arnold
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. Genia
10. CLL
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. TK
14. Banks
15. Beale
16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. Coleman
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Pocock
21. White
22. JO'C
23. Petaia
Edit: swap out LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) for Tupou.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was a person who wants not a Samu fan when he made his wallaby debut last year - but after this seasons form for brumbies made me eat my words and accept I was wrong about him. Only challenge is fitting him into match day 23 when lot of good options to choose from and yes ability to cover 6 key consideration for bench option given if Pocock fit guaranteed to have one bench backrow spot stitched up.

B

Bobby Sands

There goes Jordy, walking into the Wallabies after 50 minutes of park footy.