• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs All Blacks 10th August @Optus Stadium Perth

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I've got a prediction I want to test.

A coupe of times (in the distant past) when NZ were down against us on the back of some great running rugby, and NZ 'had' to win the following week, they changed and played a very different game-plan, kicking heaps for territory into touch, and basically pinning us down in our own 22. And we just couldn't get into the game. I've sometimes wondered if it was a bit of a blue-print to beat the Wallabies whenever this sort of situation arose. Anyway, my prediction is that B. Barret will play no. 10, and utilise this strategy.

I just wanted to put this somewhere so that I'm on record as having said it - just for fun.
You could be right.

In our favour this year, however, is that we now have a functioning lineout and our exits have been excellent. Key to the exits is the fact our ball carriers are getting over the gain line and our scrum is going forward buying kickers time and space. Genia and White also have been kicking superbly.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wont work with Whites exemplary box kicking and a majority of backline players who can kick well. The only non kicker is MK and even he put in a cute little chip.

We can exit appropriately now.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can you give some insight into how you know this please?

Sure. TK is reknown as one of the best defensive No 13s in world rugby. Both in his positional play and one on one tackling, he has a lot to offer the likes of JOC (James O'Connor) or Petaia as they consolidate their spots in the squad/team. On last night's showing by JOC (James O'Connor) it might be a changing of the guard at outside centre, so TK will possibly have more time on his hands to help with others' development. I believe he has more to offer, particularly in relation to the present day strategies and tactics than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has.

Incidentally, with Kerevi not around for tests next year, it is quite likely that JOC (James O'Connor) will revert to No 12. Petaia really looks to be the future at 13, and he would benefit immensely imo from a close working relationship with TK.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
They seek to nullify everyone with cheap shots, they’ve been getting away with it for years. Hooper would be high on the list of targets, he’s the captain and the only 7 in the 23, not to mention the most influential forward, if not player overall, in the side. To suggest otherwise is simply naive.

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen says Ardie Savea was guilty of "dumb footy" after the flanker gave away a needless penalty in Saturday's shock 47-26 loss to the Wallabies.

Hansen was highly critical of his team's overall lack of discipline, but it was Savea's brain fade late in the first half that was the hardest to swallow.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Sure. TK is reknown as one of the best defensive No 13s in world rugby. Both in his positional play and one on one tackling, he has a lot to offer the likes of JOC (James O'Connor) or Petaia as they consolidate their spots in the squad/team. On last night's showing by JOC (James O'Connor) it might be a changing of the guard at outside centre, so TK will possibly have more time on his hands to help with others' development. I believe he has more to offer, particularly in relation to the present day strategies and tactics than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has.

Incidentally, with Kerevi not around for tests next year, it is quite likely that JOC (James O'Connor) will revert to No 12. Petaia really looks to be the future at 13, and he would benefit immensely imo from a close working relationship with TK.

That doesn't even go close to answering the question I asked. I'm not doubting TK's value. What I'm asking is how you know that TK's non-selection suddenly renders AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s role in the squad (whatever that is) obsolete. I'm pretty sure that TK's main focus right now will be getting back in the team, not mentoring people.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
A coupe of times (in the distant past) when NZ were down against us on the back of some great running rugby, and NZ 'had' to win the following week, they changed and played a very different game-plan, kicking heaps for territory into touch, and basically pinning us down in our own 22. And we just couldn't get into the game. I've sometimes wondered if it was a bit of a blue-print to beat the Wallabies whenever this sort of situation arose. Anyway, my prediction is that B. Barret will play no. 10, and utilise this strategy.

Possible, though moving Barrett back to first five and asking him to kick would seem counter intuitive when they can have Mo'unga there, who is much more suited to a kicking game than Barrett. B.Smith is looking thoroughly pedestrian right now -- even when he's been at fullback -- so Barrett is basically a requirement at fullback to give our back three unit any semblance of stability under the high ball and attacking verve. Though that can quickly be rectified by swapping Smith and Ioane out for Bridge and Ennor.

Personally, I'd just go full route one Crusaders rugby; hold the ball and sledgehammer the front door down with the pack. Exactly like they did for their first try in the second half. But that would require a few changes to the squad (such as bringing in Laulala, Tu'inukuafe, Nonu, and maybe even Romano) and on-field leadership (e.g. making Whitelock captain).

It wouldn't be conventionally pretty -- though that particular sequence of play was my favourite from the AB's in that test -- but I'd give the square root of f*ck all if it retains the Bledisloe. Would also keep those 1991 parallels alive, as far as I understand it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
All Blacks coach Steve Hansen says Ardie Savea was guilty of "dumb footy" after the flanker gave away a needless penalty in Saturday's shock 47-26 loss to the Wallabies.

Hansen was highly critical of his team's overall lack of discipline, but it was Savea's brain fade late in the first half that was the hardest to swallow.

Oh I see, Hansen said it so it must be true ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
Dont know why Nonu doesnt get a run over at least SBW? Happy for it to stay that way though.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
^^^^
Dont know why Nonu doesnt get a run over at least SBW? Happy for it to stay that way though.
I think the ABs are in the precarious position SA found themselves in during 2015. Bring in the new guys at the expense of experience? Now?

A bit hard to do. Not so much for the All Blacks I think though because they seem to go flawless even when they rotate 15 from game to game generally. Especially considering they blood players a lot better over several years.

This latest patch has been concerning and I am not sure what to make of it.

They could either blow everyone to pieces or they could underwhelm.

I recall in 1953 the Boks had won the first test and the ABs pretty much revamped their team and there was widespread euphoria about it. They won the series.

In any event, it is pretty much impossible for the coaches to now renounce they had been wrong and that changes are needed. Certainly you could give credit to Hansen though for announcing he will step down regardless of what happens at this RWC. Perhaps so too it will be a lesson for future teams that if you want to win 3 in a row, better step down after 2.

They are still the favourites though in my mind despite it all.

EDIT: Mind you, Hansen only won one as HC. The other was as an assistant to Henry who persisted.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just catching up after being away for the weekend. What a game! Was so disappointing to only be following online on Saturday night and not watching it live. It was great watching the replay when I got home last night. I think I'll watch it again tonight.

As many others have said, that was a pretty complete performance by the team. The overwhelming majority of players had good to excellent games. A few better options here and there and we could have put another two or three tries on the All Blacks.

It was noticeable how much more involved Leali'ifano was compared to the Pumas game. From the start he received the ball far more at first receiver which was pleasing to see. He's certainly locked himself in as our starter now. Prior to Saturday I was expecting Lilo and Foley to both start one Bledisloe but I can't see that happening now. Unlike 2015, this is Cheika's last chance to win the Bledisloe and he also has the benefit of hindsight of seeing what happened in 2015 and the public response to making lots of changes and getting smashed. I can't see it happening again.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Did Banks get on?
I understand the limited game time for the more inexperienced benchies but don't want to die wondering about their potential. I guess they'll get their time when half the starting XV bugger off overseas.

Already been mentioned but how good was the human wrecking ball Tupou coming off the bench. He looked so excited to be there and was a fkn menace.

I watched the game with my old man who isn't a rugby tragic but he noted that despite losing the ABs looked so much more composed/drilled when they had the ball whereas we played with this crazy frenetic, live wire pace that fortunately paid off on Saturday.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Banks didn't really get a chance to shine. He came on late and missed a tackle on Ardie Savea down his wing, but he's not the first nor the last to find himself bumped off in that situation.

I watched the match twice yesterday and on second viewing would probably put White as my MOM. It helps having pigs busting lines all day, but they were running onto flat af passes.

Salty Kiwis are going to complain about the red card but we were well dominating play up until then and I would have expected the win regardless.

It's easy being on the winning side, but Garces interpreted the law correctly. And for all those saying it was a 'soft' card, what if Hooper had been concussed or injured? The head is sacrosanct and to have a bloke attack it with tucked elbow and shoulder cannot be condoned.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
CLL had a rusty start to the game, threw that ball to JO'C which was partially intercepted by ALB, then Hodge managed to score in the following confusion. ALB really should've caught that floater from CLL and the game could've gone very differently.