• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Barbarians

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Thought I'd start the match thread, with this very interesting announcement:

England RL fullback joins RU Barbarians

Barbarians rugby union selectors have surprised by inviting England rugby league star Sam Tomkins to play against Australia at Twickenham on Saturday.

The impressive Wigan fullback will complete a unique double by taking on the Wallabies a week after facing the Kangaroos in the Four Nations' rugby league final in Leeds.

Wigan owner Ian Lenagan said he, and his 22-year-old star, were very pleased to accept the invitation.

"Sam is an exceptional player in either code ofrugby and his selection shows the growing mutual respect between the codes of rugby league and rugby union in England," he said in a statement released by the game's organisers.

"It's a great opportunity for Sam to experience the Twickenham atmosphere and showcase his talents on another major stage."

Barbarians' commercial director Mike Burton added: "The Barbarian club has a tradition of thinking outside the circle when inviting players with league backgrounds and usually to everyone's benefit."

Their coach is recently retired New Zealand boss Graham Henry and the 22-man squad, drawn from 10 countries, share an astonishing 1000-plus Test caps.

The latest additions include Italy's Mauro Bergomasco (88 caps), Salvatore Perugini (83) and Marco Bortolami (88), France's Sylvain Marconnet (84), Scotland's Jason White (77) and Ireland's Peter Stringer (98).

They join a squad already boasting Springbok lock legend Victor Matfield (110) who, two years ago, captained the Barbarians to victory over the All Blacks.

Sonny Bill Williams has withdrawn because of a hamstring injury and is replaced by another of New Zealand's Rugby World Cup squad, Richard Kahui, while further additions are Fiji's Seru Rabeni and Nemia Kenatale.

Barbarians squad: Sam Tomkins (England RL), Bryan Habana (South Africa), Isaia Toeava (New Zealand), Robbie Fruean (Crusaders), Stirling Mortlock (Australia), Richard Kahui (New Zealand), Seru Rabeni (Fiji), Danny Cipriani (England), Peter Stringer (Ireland), Nemia Kenatale (Fiji), Keven Mealamu (New Zealand), Adriaan Strauss (South Africa), Salvatore Perugini (Italy), Sylvain Marconnet (France), Eusebio Guinazu (Argentina), Victor Matfield (South Africa), Simon Shaw (England), Marco Bortolami (Italy), Jason White (Scotland), Jerome Kaino (New Zealand), Adam Thomson (New Zealand), Mauro Bergamasco (Italy).

The captain will be announced when the squad assembles in London on 22 November.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at a potential XV?

D

daz

We have done this to death in the past, but I still get a bit disgruntled when a non-rugby bod gets a gig in the Baa-Baa's.

Earn it!

R

royboi

1. Perugini
2. Mealamu
3. Marconnet
4. Shaw
5. Matfield
6. Kaino
7. Bergamasco
8. Thomson
9. Stringer
10. Cipriani
11. Habana
12. Rabeni
13. Fruean
14. Kahui
15. Toeava

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
1. Salvatore Perugini
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Sylvain Marconnet
4. Marco Bortolami
5. Victor Matfield
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Mauro Bergamasco
8. Adam Thomson
9. Peter Stringer
10. Danny Cipriani
11. Bryan Habana
12. Robbie Fruean (Uncapped)
13. Stirling Mortlock (c)
14. Richard Kahui
15. Isaia Toeava
--------------------------
16. Andrew Strauss
17. Eusebio Guiñazú
18. Simon Shaw
19. Jason White
20. Nemia Kenatale
21. Seru Rabeni
22. Sam Tomkins (Uncapped)

B

BRIX

Jason White prop ^ lol

Good Barbarians team. Any idea of the Wallabie starting XV? they should beat us on paper either way. Should be a good hit-out before Wales.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Only rumours so far centred on JOC (James O'Connor) at 10, but with a 26-man squad obviously only four miss out on the match day.

Guestimate Wallabies v Baabaas

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (captain)
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman

9. Nick Phipps
10. James O’Connor
11. Digby Ioane
12. Berrick Barnes
13. Rob Horne
14. Lachie Turner
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Salesi Ma’afu
18. Nathan Sharpe
19. Matt Hodgson
20. Anthony Fainga'a/Dave Dennis
21. Ben Lucas
22. Ben Tapuai

23. Pekahou Cowan
24. Radike Samo
25. Dave Dennis/Anthony Fainga'a
26. Will Genia

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
We have done this to death in the past, but I still get a bit disgruntled when a non-rugby bod gets a gig in the Baa-Baa's.

Earn it!

Daz, Baabaas, tradition is to have at least one non test player in team, and I think this fullback plays both codes in England which quite a number of players do with League being a summer sport up there.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Daz, Baabaas, tradition is to have at least one non test player in team, and I think this fullback plays both codes in England which quite a number of players do with League being a summer sport up there.

I am sure this must be a request fro, somewhere in the Pom hierarchy to have a look at the guy.

not that the Pom hierarchy is particularly organised at the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone know if, where and when this game is being televised? I was unable to find it in the Foxsports TV guide.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Being the well connected folk G&GR are, I just asked some guys who work for Fox and they should let me know sometime today on the arrangements.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oops. I found it.

Sunday 1:30am (i.e. Saturday night) on Foxsports 2.

I was initially confused because it says Wallaby Classic - Australia vs Barbarians so I assumed it was an old game. It says LIVE underneath it so it must be the real thing.

B

BRIX

I am sure this must be a request fro, somewhere in the Pom hierarchy to have a look at the guy.

not that the Pom hierarchy is particularly organised at the moment.

He's just signed a new contract thats going to make him the highest payed player in Super League. Part of his clause was no code change and defection to the NRL so it can't be that. His brother Joel is going to play for Saracens next year though. Good luck to him - but I hope he gets smashed a la SBW during the last Invitational between us.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He's just signed a new contract thats going to make him the highest payed player in Super League. Part of his clause was no code change and defection to the NRL so it can't be that. His brother Joel is going to play for Saracens next year though. Good luck to him - but I hope he gets smashed a la SBW during the last Invitational between us.

Then the Baabaas are schmocks for inviting him. How idiotic.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)

Yep, Saracens have also just signed a deal with Wigan to exchange players and other things over the next few years. Andy Farrell is a Wigan legend and now coaches at Sarries so he obviously had some input.

Joel Tomkins, Sam's older brother, has as BRIX said just transferred to saracens so we'll see what happens over the next few years with the two brothers.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wonder if it a sign of the future where guys like this to play 7s at the Olympics? If for example 7s were at the London Olympics could this guy be picked to represent Great Britain or Billy Slater for Australia etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.