• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Barbarians

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
And how good was it that we didn’t kick the ball away every time we got possession. No high ball with out chasers or Genia Box kicks!

it was good to see a bit of running, but will see next week when Its a test match that counts. I would like to see if Dingo Deans keeps this up or will go back to the box kicks and touch line and my pet hate of him, Subs with 5 min to go....
The way Wale played through the World cup was impressive,

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure about Moore, but Alexander has been back in preseason with the Brumbies....

Both looked sooooo much fitter than the rest of our front rowers...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Firstly, are we bothering to do 3-2-1s for this game?

Secondly...

Horne's tackling was superb.

No, it wasn't. Horne had a good game (and he looked promising), but was let down by his missed tackles. He fell off quite a few that he should have stuck on to, from my memory.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nah, no 3-2-1s needed for this game as it isn't capped. Save it up for the last test this week v Wales.

the GAGR Player of the Year is far from clear cut at this stage. There's a few still in the running.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
While I mention Horne's defence, the other guy I thought messed up a bit was Digby - thought he manned up incorrectly a few times and left a hole on his inside. Both had good games on attack, but on defence I thought both made a couple of errors.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought it was great that Turner snagged a couple of tries. If he wants to be a winger for the Wallabies it's important that he is a try scorer like Mitchell. He has been a bit dry lately, and if he can combine this with his great work ethic and get rid of stupid kicking he could be more useful long term.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, Phipps was touted as a worthy Waalaby candidate and was quickly turned on following the Samoan game...

Let's not pretend there are other halfbacks worthy of being Genia's backup on this tour...

The closest might be Nic White, but he's yet to receive quality SupeRugby time...

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
It was wonderful to see such a tryfest.
The Men in Gold played like a *real* team and seem to have discovered that to score tries you need to keep the ball in hand.
I just kept thinking WHY couldn't we have used THAT game plan during the RWC.... we might have had a chance of winning the bloody thing.
Will be sitting down to watch the recorded replay tonight with my fav rugby player who missed it due to work.

Now if we can just do the same against the Welsh I can start to enjoy being a Wallaby fan again.

ps. has Deans finally taken some advice and began to take his medication?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was wonderful to see such a tryfest.
The Men in Gold played like a *real* team and seem to have discovered that to score tries you need to keep the ball in hand.
I just kept thinking WHY couldn't we have used THAT game plan during the RWC....

The very obvious reason, FANATIC, is opposing team defence. The only other time in recent memory we were able to run in tries at will against a supposedly quality opposition was in the second half against France almost exactly a year ago. Which rather proves the point.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ok. I'll say it. Phipps wasn't terrible. I think at that stage the wallabies had 87% possession so his defense wasn't tested, but still.

Phipps has a good long pass, add that to someone playing the ball on the advantage line and you have a dangerous combination

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
From what I saw you can't take much from this game on any of the issues discussed - the opposition were too soft on the day. Nice to watch the Wallabies run in tries and win well, but they really had no excuse against a team playing like that.

How is Pocock's knee?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Phipps is a good long term prospect. I don't get why a lot of people are on a downer about him. Young bloke with potential has a couple of bumps in his rookie international season. Big deal, it's part of learning.

As for the Samoan game, the lad wasn't that bad and was hung out to dry by some much more experienced players who failed to perform.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Phipps is a good long term prospect. I don't get why a lot of people are on a downer about him. Young bloke with potential has a couple of bumps in his rookie international season. Big deal, it's part of learning.

As for the Samoan game, the lad wasn't that bad and was hung out to dry by some much more experienced players who failed to perform.

Why down on him?

his defense was crap throughout the S15, a 9 is there to sweep up problems in defense, he didn't for the Rebels

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Eh, I'd question the view that Phipps is a bad defender.

He lead all halfbacks in tackles during the super 15 with 188 tackles (the next highest being Sheehan with 110) and made 81% of his tackles.

Comparatively, if we look the top ten halfbacks in terms of tackles made - Vermaak made 86%, both Genia and Valentine made 82% of their tackles, Sheehan, Burgess and McLeod made 79% of their tackles, Leonard made 72%, Pretorius made 65%.

Phipps did however miss 44 tackles (the highest for halfbacks), with the next highest being Sarel with 38.

So all together what does this tell us? Phipps played on a team which defended an awful lot due to a horrible set of forwards who couldn't keep possession, and was required to make a lot of tackles (which he did so at a highish rate for a halfback). Hardly 'crap' defense.

He probably did miss most of his tackles where he was sweeping across in defense though, because he is a bit of a plodder.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Statistics don't make the man.

Which stat covers the "was no-where near in position and let someone run through a gap" scenario.

I understand he's in a heavy traffic area, but the difference between dragging someone down after 10m, an stopping someone solidly is massive for the team - and not captured in stats.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Oh I agree completely. But I'm just getting stats from Foxsports. I'm sure that professional teams would gather information concerning defensive misreads and chase-down tackles, not just because it helps them gameplan against opposition, but also identify weaknesses of their own that they need to improve on or cover-up. I'm looking at you Quade :fishing

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why down on him?

I don't like the way he consistently passes to the support player's shoulder. It makes the support player have to slow down, turn their body, catch the ball high and never be able to pass the ball on without oodles of space to correct their posture. Terrible passer of the ball in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.