• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Giteau covers 10. Beale covers 10, 12 and 15. JOC (James O'Connor) covers 12 and 10. Horne covers 12. Ioane covers 13.

Do you really think that we need more cover for the inside backs? IMO Hynes deserves to be there, even in front of Beale if not Barnes. I mean, who would you feel more comfortable in coming on to finish off a game at fullback - Hynes or Beale?

Indeed. And then just compare the S14 form of Hynes (huge contributor to Reds 2010) and Barnes (whoops, was moving south all a big mistake?)...then, for me at least, Barnes hardly dazzled on Tuesday and is way down in confidence. I thought Hynes played well on Tuesday and is a proven pressure player (recall Barnes miscalculated pass option against the ABs last year in NZ, when the pressure was really on, just as it will surely be on Saturday night).

Then we have Burgess as run-on. I believe Valentine would have been a better risk-reward calculation. The idea that Burgess wins the position as the better defender is cart before the horse if ever there was one.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Ioane can 13, JOC (James O'Connor) can play 10 and 12, giteau can play 10 and 12

I dont think that Barnes is absolutely necessary, the only reason i can see Barnes in the squad is so he can sub on for Cooper and then go for a 10 Giteau - 12 Barnes combo later in the game if Quade is out of form...

I think someone like Hynes who can cover the back 3 is more essential over Beal who isnt exactly a good winger.

Yes. And why on earth would 'cover', even if correct as a need here, be properly filled by a player who's: generally had an awful S!4, a lousy S14 semi, obviously is down on real confidence poor chap, and has faltered under big game pressure before, AND has hinted last week he may go back to League! (you can see the negative emotional state in that confession to the press)...add that up and why of why do we have Barnes there? Honestly, should we not all be utterly incredulous over this selection. ....let's hope I'm very wrong.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree with the selection of Brugess as at least Cooper has already played with him and knows what to expect.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't mind Barnes being on the bench. I think he's an English style of player we probably need v them.

As for Hynes v Beale? Whilst I think Hynes is an excellent option, I disagree with ditching a player (particularly from the whole 22) after playing as well as Beale did. He deserves to remain.

program below

Attachments

• Wallabies v England 1 Team List.pdf
    712.9 KB · Views: 434

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
IamRed, thanks for that link, without it, readers likely would not have believed us!

And btw, I am ever more in respect of Daz's earlier post re 'RD genius or idiot after Saturday' when we see the Aus selections this afternoon. The whole situation with some of these selections is so manifestly high-risk and death-defying, that such audacity has a distinctly 'doghouse or penthouse' ring to it. Perhaps I should now go back to loving RD as I did until Tokyo last year, then I could cover all bets.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The selection of Slipper on the bench is pretty astounding.

<edit> Beaten like a Kiwi at a Wolrd Cup. And I pretty much missed the two pages of discussion since Lance's post too.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The selection of Slipper on the bench is pretty astounding.

Ash, yes, but in a perverse and contorted sort of way, if we put our patriotism for the home boys aside, these eccentric and high-risk selections, and the consequent team, make Deans' choice of fates in this match intriguing and the game an utterly nerve-jangling spectacle.

Croks

Bob McCowan (2)
If they went with Daley and finger surely it would have been better to go with Weeks as well to maintain the combination they have built up rather than play Maafu who has no real experience with any of them. Also Hynes should of been there instead of Barnes as JOC (James O'Connor) can move to 12 if needed and Kurtley to 15. Hynes gives more solid defense, has experience and is much better under the high ball than Kurtley or JOC (James O'Connor). RD is certainly taking a big risk with these selections is going to be interesting to see if they come off on Saturday.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah Hynes (or Turner) would be a better reserve than Beale as covering wing becomes the issue to me. Happy to see Beale start, just not a great bench option

T

tranquility

Truth be told - I love that RD makes these kinds of borderline insane decisions. At the end of the day he wears the call, not any of us - so he must have great faith in these blokes. James Slipper is a prop of immense ability, but I wouldn't have predicted his rise this early. However who else do we have at LH? the cupboard is bear. Weeks, Baxter, Dunning can barley play loosehead with a combined effort. The best solution I can see is probably Greg Holmes, but he hasn't rated a mention for some reason.

Let's hope Ma'afu can play the full 80 at TH so Slipper and Daley can tag team the LH side. If Slipper has to come on at TH - well as another poster thoughtfully remarked, alot of new avatars could be made documenting the game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Huge surprise about Daley being picked. It will be Sydney or the bush for him and we will all wish him well. It had to be anybody else than Cowan, but I didn't know Daley was fit; in fact I didn't know he was injured except by suspicion because he didn't play on Tuesday.

The selection of Slipper on the bench is probably more astonishing, but given that they wanted to keep the original squad and not play Cowan, it had to be.

At least the scrums can't be worse than in the Baas game (and if they are, don't quote me please because I will plead insanity).

I see that no other new forwards have been chosen who are likely to provide more mongrel in the physical contests including aggressive counter-rucking, but we all know the reason why.

Beale will feel hard done by perhaps but he was lucky to get the test in Canberra and probably wouldn't have got it except for his court case which could have had a verdict that disqualified him for a while. Mitchell should have played in that test with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback, but now that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is injured, and JOC (James O'Connor) had to be rewarded and Mitchell had to be reinstated, Beale will have to bide his time.

If he is good enough his time for starting consecutive test matches will come. It is the way of the world. Actually Oz would have been served better by a fellow who can play wing and fullback, or at least wing, on the bench. Turner and Hynes will feel disappointed.

PS - WTF is Genia on the bench. Valentine should be there (and I agree with Burgess starting against a bruising team like the Poms and Boks if Genia isn't). If they think that Genia is still a bit tender he shouldn't be in the 22.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Deans doesn't even use his bench, hardly ever, so these bench selections - going by history - aren't very important.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
re Genia - might be a concern on match fitness but I'd take an out of condition Genia over the burger flipper any day

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
PS - WTF is Genia on the bench. Valentine should be there (and I agree with Burgess starting against a bruising team like the Poms and Boks if Genia isn't). If they think that Genia is still a bit tender he shouldn't be in the 22.[/QUOTE]

Lee Grant, with your knowledge of the game, would you not agree that these selections in aggregate represent one of the most bizarre and high-risk packages any Aus coach has attempted against a top rugby nation for some considerable time...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom