• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Injuries to Alexander and Ashley Cooper are narrowing down the choices for this Saturday's test match vs England. Adding to that, the return from injury of the likes of Daley, TPN and Genia is not assured. I'd have the following team this weekend (assuming Daley is available, but Genia/TPN are not).

1. Daley
2. Fa'ainga
3. Ma'afu (could be a long night for this front row)
4. Sharpe
5. Mumm
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Brown (was ok against Fiji and Elsom didn't do enough to show he could transition to 8)
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. Horne
14. Ioane
15. Hynes

16. Fitzpatrick (although Robbie will pick Edmonds)
17. Weeks
18. Chisholm
19. Hodgson
20. Valentine
21. JOC (James O'Connor)
22. Beale

Not much size on the bench, and considering JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale are alike it might be worth picking either A Fa'ainga or Chambers on the bench if they put their hands up on Tuesday.

Cyril Towers (30)
I thought Beale did enough last night to keep him at FB. I think he will be very dangerous in combination with QC (Quade Cooper) if they have a few tests together. They look like they enjoy playing off each other.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think Beale looked like a test player.

I think Cowan might come in at loosehead prop.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Beale's first 20 minutes was very average, after that he was involved and looked pretty good, but wasn't really put under pressure. Also, if we are going to carry Cooper's defensive liabilities in the team, we can't also risk playing Beale. We need a strong defender at the back, and that is Hynes or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I suspect Deans would have picked AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) if he wasn't injured, although, he may have also been considering him for 13.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Word is the Pom scrum is not exactly a world beater. I hope that doesn't give us a false sense of security for 3N. Its not just the green front row. Mumm (undersized) & Sharpe (giant pussy) don't give us much grunt in the engine room either.

I reckon the Boks have 3 forward packs better than our #1 flock.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
How do you figure Mumm is undersized? 6'5" and 109kg apparently, so he gives up 1" and 1kg to Victor Matfield.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think Beale looked like a test player.

beale has shown he gains confidence if left alone, i thinkt he worst thing that can happen is if he is dropped right away, start him again and replace him at half time if it aint going well.

speaking of players that dont look like test players, the pekker should be captain of that team.

C

chief

Beale was selected at #15 because of Legal issues. They are giving them all cracks at the Fullback position. Hynes' turn this week. Beale certainly fell short of test match material from what I saw in the first 40.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
My 22 to face the Poms on Saturday.
1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Weekes
4. Mumm
5. Sharpe
6.Rocky
7. Pocock
8. Brown
9. valentine (Hurry up Genia)
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. Horne
14. Ioane
15. Hynes

Res: 16.Edmonds 17. Cowan 18.Chisolm 19. Hodgson 20. Burgess 21. Barnes .22 Turner

Beale was shakey under the high ball so with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out Hynes is the next best at 15, Burgess pass is to flakey & we need better backline service. I'm not saying that Valentine is an overall better player but he certainly has a better pass.

Would like to see Kane Douglas on the bench but he is only listed as a Baa Baa so not sure he is a contender for a test position.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Also Beale is named on the bench for the Barbarians. So wouldn't expect to front up again next Saturday.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just quickly...

9. Genia
10. Cooper
12. Giteau 13. Horne
11. Mitchell 14. Ioane
15. Hynes

How good is that! And AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't even in that backline!

B

Boomy

How quickly everyone is confident with Horne. A collective *phew* from all supporters. Bubye Snorky Mortlock!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
How quickly everyone is confident with Horne. A collective *phew* from all supporters. Bubye Snorky Mortlock!

I still have faith in Morty to come right next year and be an inspirational WC squad member. Though, he obviously will never play an important test again.

He is a team man through and through, priceless in terms on knowledge and leadership. Let him have the games against Russia and the USA. He will contribute to the squad in ways no other man can.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Ben Daley is ahead in his injury rehabilitation and from what Robbie Deans said today he's open to all options there and will see how the Barbarians game goes before the picture becomes clearer.

Also, Deans wants all injured players to be able to train at a high level before being considered to play so they don't jeopordise their long term future by coming back too early.

T

TOCC

just remember that Cowan played 31 minutes against Fiji, if selected for the England match that will be 3 games in 1 week.
I doubt Robbie would do that

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Im pretty confident with the back but is anyone elsed realy worried about our forward pack?

T

TheTruth

Pek to play for sure - Daley will be lucky - hasn't trained properly as yet

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
keeping the daley, Fainga'a, weekes frontrow together might not be a bad idea. the reds scrum was pretty good. i seem to remember they gave away the least scrum penalties of the aussie s14 teams. if that was the case, would cowan or ma'afu be more useful on the bench?

4-8 the same for me. i thought brown showed enough to not get the chop. everyone else picks themselves. i'd be very excited if genia could come back with the backline that disco and DPK are suggesting.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
KB (Kurtley Beale) looked ok once they stopped dropping bombs on him
I'll take AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Hynes at FB please

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think people are forgetting the Weeks was a Loosehead in a past life. I would guess he has probably played as much Loosehead as Tighthead in he pre-professional days.

You think they are considering this an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.