• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

It's always nice to talk about the backs as it is to scratch one's bum, but after the debacle of the Oz A scrum tonight who is going to be the LHP for Oz in the test?

Fuck knows. All I can say is that it won't be any of the 3rd division country shitkickers we saw tonight.

That may be a bit harsh, I know, but unless Deans knows something we don't (more than probable!), the gap between these guys and international rugby is so wide it beggars belief.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Any changes post the Baa Baa's?

my team v England would be:

15 Peter Hynes
14 Drew Mitchell
13 Rob Horne
12 Matt Giteau
11 Digby Ioane
10 Quade Cooper
9 Luke Burgess
8 Richard Brown
7 David Pocock
6 Rocky Elsom
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Dean Mumm
3 Laurie Weeks
2 Saia Fainga'a
1 Pek Cowan

16 Huia Edmonds
17 Salesi Ma'afu
18 Mark Chisholm
19 Matt Hodgson
20 Josh Valentine
21 James O'Connor
22 Lachie Turner

I reckon that Chambers will be a chance to come onto the bench for Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) however, depending on the Baabaa's game. I reckon physicality v the Poms will be sort after and Horne is still injury prone. we can always put Diggers there I guess with Lachie able to play wing. With AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gone we miss a bit of that grunt. Chambers can give that I reckon.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Well, there is a good chance that Cowan won't be playing. Sounds like Daley probably isn't ready either.

I reckon if he wasn't injured Robbie would have tried AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at LHP.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh I would definitely swap Valentine for Burgess. And have Genia on the bench. Burgess sleeps with Robbie, however, and will start. Ma'afu will be TH; LH is anyones guess!

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Burgo will keep his spot, I reckon, for his defence. What use is silky (well, less bumpy!) service to the backs if England's forwards prance through our shit ruck defence all night?

Front row has me fucked. No idea what to do now. If Daley >50% fitness I'd throw him out there, with Ma'afu/Weeks THP. Weeks at LHP very obviously not a winner, and bloody unfair to chuck a guy in there at that level with no recent/professional experience.

You know what would be f'n hilarious? If they had to call up Tilse...he's as good as Cowan, let's face it, or Yana to burn them all in a race to the tryline.

Obviously I must be on drugs...bad, halucinogenic shit.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Burgo will keep his spot, I reckon, for his defence. What use is silky (well, less bumpy!) service to the backs if England's forwards prance through our shit ruck defence all night?

Front row has me fucked. No idea what to do now. If Daley >50% fitness I'd throw him out there, with Ma'afu/Weeks THP. Weeks at LHP very obviously not a winner, and bloody unfair to chuck a guy in there at that level with no recent/professional experience.

You know what would be f'n hilarious? If they had to call up Tilse...he's as good as Cowan, let's face it, or Yana to burn them all in a race to the tryline.

No no no, the answer is obvious! Pato Noriega and Topo Rodriguez pull the boots on for the front row and Jim Williams solves the missing Palu problem. (Y)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's a real noodle scratcher isn't it. Let's remember 2 years ago when Ben Alexander was the no-name prop named in the Wallaby squad and was experiment with in a similar fashion.

There must be potential talent to be unearthed SOMEWHERE!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It was ridiculous to play a player coming back from injury out of position, but then I guess they wanted to see if they could find an Alexander replacement.

I think we could do worse that Tilse. Cowan is one that comes to mind.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd be starting JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback no doubt.

I think Cowan still, with Maafu at 3. Not sure why. Perhaps there is cause to pick the combo of the the Reds? Regardless we just nee Pato to show he has some coaching ability this week and just scrum the fudge out of them.

Oh, and I'd keep Burgo for sure.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am wondering about the selection of Slipper. The guy is for the future, but at 20 and with just a few S14 caps is too young (for a prop) to be playing Aus A level games against decent/strong scrummaging nations like England. Tim Fairbrother, although a bit of a pot plant, might have been a better selection, along with Dunning, Baxter, etc. By all means, add guys like Slipper to the squad, but 20 year old fairly inexperienced props shouldn't be running on in those games.

I just don't know how we can select a competitive scrum without a good LH fit, and with perhaps the next best TH (after Alexander), Baxter not in the squad. I agreed with Baxter not being selected initially as he has failed at the international level with keeping him bind up in the past, but with Alexander out for the Tri-Nations, I think Baxter should now be called up. Unfortunately, Baxter does not solve our LH dilemma. I don't think Daley is up to it yet, either. He's still a young guy with only a few seasons of S14. Another year or two and he'll be ready, but he's still a baby in prop terms.

Additionally, Moore and TPN are out two best scrummaging hookers, and both are out injured. I don't rate Edmonds as a scrummaging hooker, and am unsure on S. Fainga'a, but would take him ahead of Edmonds.

All I am hoping is that our scrum isn't completely destroyed and we're not shunted back 5m every scrum. For me, our scrum against Fiji rang alarm bells. They had club level props getting parity, or better, with our supposed test level front rowers. Really poor showing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh, and I think Burgess' pass was woeful against Fiji, but I'm another who would keep him starting for now. Valentine didn't show enough last night to displace Burgess, and Genia should not be rushed back from his knee injury - the Tri-Nations are more important than risking him for a full game in the first England test. I'd take Burgess starting with Genia off the bench, and hopefully Genia will be right to go for the second test.

I'd also keep Beale at fullback for now, as he's more robust than J'OC. If Beale has another case of the dropsies though, then J'OC to replace him in the second test. Mitchell will start in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s place, so Hynes or Chambers (who I think went rather well last night) would be my pick for the last backs bench spot, with Turner being a smokey.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tim Fairbrother. Now there's an idea. Agreed. He had a really good season I thought. I'd look to call him up for sure and he deserved it above Slipper.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

So it's ok to throw in an uncapped rookie who might only be 51% fit but bloody unfair to chuck in a guy there with no recent/professional experience?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
He considers himself Aussie enough to try out for the Australian team, he previously stated international Rugby and more game-time is why he came here. I agree, give him a crack.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I am wondering about the selection of Slipper. The guy is for the future, but at 20 and with just a few S14 caps is too young (for a prop) to be playing Aus A level games against decent/strong scrummaging nations like England. Tim Fairbrother, although a bit of a pot plant, might have been a better selection, along with Dunning, Baxter, etc. By all means, add guys like Slipper to the squad, but 20 year old fairly inexperienced props shouldn't be running on in those games.

I just don't know how we can select a competitive scrum without a good LH fit, and with perhaps the next best TH (after Alexander), Baxter not in the squad. I agreed with Baxter not being selected initially as he has failed at the international level with keeping him bind up in the past, but with Alexander out for the Tri-Nations, I think Baxter should now be called up. Unfortunately, Baxter does not solve our LH dilemma. I don't think Daley is up to it yet, either. He's still a young guy with only a few seasons of S14. Another year or two and he'll be ready, but he's still a baby in prop terms.

Additionally, Moore and TPN are out two best scrummaging hookers, and both are out injured. I don't rate Edmonds as a scrummaging hooker, and am unsure on S. Fainga'a, but would take him ahead of Edmonds.

All I am hoping is that our scrum isn't completely destroyed and we're not shunted back 5m every scrum. For me, our scrum against Fiji rang alarm bells. They had club level props getting parity, or better, with our supposed test level front rowers. Really poor showing.

-> Agree.

Fairbrother, Baxter, Dunning and possibly Tilse ought to be ahead of Cowan and Slipper. god knows what Robbie is thinking.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Lee mentioned Holmes in another thread. He looked better and better as the season when on, and could also be worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.