• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Ireland - 3rd test - Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The last play of the game was just amazing.

We score that try and it's an all-time great performance. As it was, it's a crushing defeat. Perfect Foley kick-off, great Folau take, good movement from side to side, hard hits and accurate cleanouts.

We created the space and had the numbers.... but fucked it. Beale crabbed a bit too far, Foley did too, the outside men (Samu and DHP) were a little bit too flat, Stockdale made a great defensive decision to come in.

There were just inches in it, really, and it's the line between ecstasy and agony.

Fuck it. What a game.
Blue balls.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've now watched the replay in full, and have one piercing piece of analysis to contribute to this thread:

It was a fucking belter of a game. An absolute ripper.

That is all.

I was watching Paul Murray Live tonight and in his sport segment he caned the Wallabies for losing yet again. Luckily his sports professional guest put the loss into the context of a tight series against the world number 2 team. Murray had no idea that was the case. His schtick was that the wallabies are perennial losers. Additionally, the associated video footage emphasised the second test try by Beale.

With fact-less coverage like that, even rippers of games won't be brought to the attention of more potential supporters.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
God i miss Larkham..

How fucking good

Oh man, the guy just had a phenomenal awareness of space and how to put himself and/or others in it. This despite the fact his eyesight was so poor.
I reckon Quade has a similar awareness but not the head on his shoulders to always use it well.

Larkham was just pure class.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Finally having a chance to go through the stats for all 3 games.

Possession: Aus 44.3% Ire 55.66%
Lineouts: Aus 34/38 Ire 30/33
Scrums: Aus 13/13 Ire 11/14
Penalties: Aus 40 Ire 35
Tackles: Aus 409/478 Ire 352/403
Meters Run: Aus 893 Ire 1079
Runs: Aus 343 Ire 430
Kicks From Hand: Aus 53 Ire 42
Passes: Aus 479 Ire 522
Clean Breaks: Aus 12 Ire 22
Defenders Beaten: Aus 51 Ire 69
Offloads: Aus 15 Ire 17
Turnovers conceded: Aus 27 Ire 38

All pretty even, if anything the stats from game two should have had Ireland winning that one by alot more

Yes and end score 55 - 55 a draw

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
League already has taken over, it has been the dominant sport in NSW & QLD for 50 year plus years
AFL is taking over, i'm not sure League has improved it's situation in recent years? I have an English mate, fresh off the boat basically, who plays and watches AFL and says he's never going back. Boggles the mind.

Rugby is at best the fourth most popular winter sport here and we just took the second best team in the world down to the wire, albeit at home. Can't be doing that badly can we?

Besides, it's not as if we are dominating in other sports. Cricket team just got white washed. Socceroos are preparing to trot out 38 year old Tim Cahill to actually score a goal, plus the A-league severed whatever youth development we had in Soccer.

If this is the lowest point rugby gets to i'd definitely take it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Soccer and cricket are summer sports these days

I agree with your points re rugby, but it has been the same for all my life, rugby is a niche sport in Aus

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
AFL is taking over, i'm not sure League has improved it's situation in recent years? I have an English mate, fresh off the boat basically, who plays and watches AFL and says he's never going back. Boggles the mind.

Rugby is at best the fourth most popular winter sport here and we just took the second best team in the world down to the wire, albeit at home. Can't be doing that badly can we?

Besides, it's not as if we are dominating in other sports. Cricket team just got white washed. Socceroos are preparing to trot out 38 year old Tim Cahill to actually score a goal, plus the A-league severed whatever youth development we had in Soccer.

Rugby should aim to be the no.2 Winter sport in each state.

QLD - League then Rugby
NSW - League then Rugby
WA - AFL then Rugby
VIC - AFL then Rugby
etc.

AFL is in massive strife in QLD atm, the two teams there are experiencing a Aus Super Rugby like experience with no light at the end of the tunnel for each side. The groundswell of support that was building is slowly diminishing again. As for AFL in NSW unfortunately the Swans are still good, the market will be tested when they aren't and GWS is slowly becoming ordinary with no special draft able to pump them up anymore.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Rugby should aim to be the no.2 Winter sport in each state.

QLD - League then Rugby
NSW - League then Rugby
WA - AFL then Rugby
VIC - AFL then Rugby
etc.

This is what we have had in the past and definitely should aspire to going forward.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)

Good point , australia float between 2nd and 5/6th in the world , it's not all doom and gloom
Rugby in ireland is Similar in that it's the 4th code and a niche sport well maybe a bit more popular in the last 5 years but historically always a niche sport

David Nucifora is credited with building the systems for the national team success , why wouldn't the ARU try and get him back
He has the 4 provinces singaing from same sheet for overal national team interest and it's working

Was he rated here before the IRFU got him? Wouldn't he be a target of the ARU to get back into Australian rugby, seems like an Indentical mission He would be tasked with

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
David Nucifora is credited with building the systems for the national team success , why wouldn't the ARU try and get him back
He has the 4 provinces singaing from same sheet for overal national team interest and it's working

Was he rated here before the IRFU got him? Wouldn't he be a target of the ARU to get back into Australian rugby, seems like an Indentical mission He would be tasked with

He's gone up and down in people's opinions here. When he left he was definitely out of favour.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not at all familiar with the Irish provinces, but getting the State unions over here to co-operate in a meaningful way seems like a step beyond anyone.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not at all familiar with the Irish provinces, but getting the State unions over here to co-operate in a meaningful way seems like a step beyond anyone.

Im a big fan of the way the provinces operate, they all know their place in the pecking order and adhere to it, although they are all equally striving for more and to be better/equal to the best.

NSW could easily be the Leinster of Australian rugby, QLD the Munster, Melbourne the Ulster and ACT the Connacht and plus the Force (no 5th Irish team to provide a comparison), or what ever combinations floats your boat. 2 big teams that are always up there in the table, 2 teams that are development sides and 1 that's a hybrid, but all on their day capable of winning matches and as Connacht showed capable of winning trophies because everyone helps the others out. But it all requires sacrifices, players need to be moved to clubs struggling for players in that position (generally the biggest and best with most depth need to give to the 'weaker' clubs) but that also means that players of potential are moved from the 'weaker' states to shore up positions in the ones that bring in the dollars, provide the players and drive most public interest. It'd never work here tho as there is too much self interest to share and understand whats best for everyone isn't always whats best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.