• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Ireland - 3rd test - Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
He was a disaster at the Blues, but with the benefit of hindsight I'd wager the issue was with the Blues rather than Nuci.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
He was a disaster at the Blues, but with the benefit of hindsight I'd wager the issue was with the Blues rather than Nuci.

He took over in 2005 when the Blues were only a season removed from winning the comp and had the likes of Kaino, Mealamu, Woodcock, Williams, Muliaina, McAlister, Howlett, Rokocoko, Spencer....plus Isa Nacewa who would have been an AB if not for 3 minutes for Fiji. Plus a bunch of other guys who got AB caps like Devine, Whitcombe etc. There was probably a culture aspect to it, but if you can't do something good with that squad....

That said, it was 13 years ago and so not really something that you'd worry about precluding him from a job now.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Oh man, the guy just had a phenomenal awareness of space and how to put himself and/or others in it. This despite the fact his eyesight was so poor.
I reckon Quade has a similar awareness but not the head on his shoulders to always use it well.

Larkham was just pure class.
The guy could just guide through defence theres no way he should come out the back of a scrum.. but then not been touched..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I don’t think Nucifora would be able to replicate what he’s doing in Ireland because of how differently Aussie and Irish professional
Rugby are structured. He wouldn’t have nearly the same level of control here as he has there where they can more or less tell the provinces how to manage the national team talent.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I dont know what this photo was from, probably a line-out, but it isnt the action that lead to Folau getting binned
I can assure you that it definitely is from the incident from which Folau was binned.
You can grab this and even more damning screen grabs from the video replay of the incident.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The guy could just guide through defence theres no way he should come out the back of a scrum.. but then not been touched..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have always wondered why so many people use the term "glide" when referring to Larkham's running.
Part of the answer is in the clip. He ran very fast but with long strides, thus "gliding" over the turf rather than the staccato quick steps of a Giteau or a Horan.
Well, that's the important issues of the day over and done with.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Those clips remind me of what I miss about international rugby at the moment:
1. a Complete 10,
2. players in motion before the half passes the ball
3. Buddha Handy

GO YOU GOOD THING!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Larkham was a magician. His outside players were all quality, but how much would their games have been enhanced by having the real Bernie inside. Some of those highlights are just unreal, especially where he single handedly made almost the whole length of the field even against the All Blacks. Scintillating stuff.

His one downside was a distinct drop off in quality when he attempted to grubber kick through the line. More often than not, came straight back off a defender's feet.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
That Larkham highlights package is great, but seriously - what kind of FUCKWIT chooses a muzak version of that fucking horrible Black Eyed Peas song for their soundtrack? Hanging is too good for them.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Those clips remind me of what I miss about international rugby at the moment:
1. a Complete 10,
2. players in motion before the half passes the ball
3. Buddha Handy
4. That 97/98 Wallabies jersey

GO YOU GOOD THING!
Fixed it for you

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I can assure you that it definitely is from the incident from which Folau was binned.
You can grab this and even more damning screen grabs from the video replay of the incident.
Man if you think slow-mo can make anything look bad, try extrapolating what happened in an entire sequence of play from a single frame. Jees.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
At least in terms of a single man lift, this seems to be the most common sense approach to reducing these dangerous incidents and have the least impact on the game.

The problem arises most when the player being lifted wasn't in an ideal position to go for the ball and is being propelled backwards and almost out of control without any interaction from the opposition.

With the force of both players going in the same direction, a dangerous situation arises.

With zero contact from Folau, Stander is still going to have trouble bringing O'Mahony to ground safely.

I not sure that argument really stands BH, we get players lifted by one player almost every game and test we see, almost always brought to ground safely if noone interferes them in the air. after a reasonable amount of thought while working I wonder do we really want a law that has generally gone okay changed to suit the playing style of one man who chases and leaps in a certain way? I really not sure what the answer is, perhaps say you get no protection when in the air? I mean when Barrett was overturned by Fall in French series , I don't think he would of come down so hard if he hadn't jumped so high going forward, so once again the man in the air has to take responsibility too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I not sure that argument really stands BH, we get players lifted by one player almost every game and test we see, almost always brought to ground safely if noone interferes them in the air. after a reasonable amount of thought while working I wonder do we really want a law that has generally gone okay changed to suit the playing style of one man who chases and leaps in a certain way? I really not sure what the answer is, perhaps say you get no protection when in the air? I mean when Barrett was overturned by Fall in French series , I don't think he would of come down so hard if he hadn't jumped so high going forward, so once again the man in the air has to take responsibility too.

My main point is that Stander was always going to have trouble bringing him to ground safely. We've seen times like when the Beast has lost a player over his back (but had the enormous strength to hang onto him) without any contact from the opposition.

I think this only happens when O'Mahony and Stander are in front of the ball and have to go backwards with the jump and lift.

My response was regarding the options World Rugby have if they want to address this. I don't think it will happen but it seems far more common sense than doing anything else to eliminate players competing for the ball in the air. They're not going to ban players from jumping and they're not going to stop protecting players in the air.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well you picked it BH. Still a faaaaarking joke. What's the go WR (World Rugby)?

Maybe they'll give up and every play will be stopped for TMO revision. They'll also introduce offensive and defensive teams, forward passes etc.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It goes wrong often enough. It is inherently dangerous and a law suit waiting to happen.

At a time when the law makers are acutely aware of their duty of care I’d be amazed it didn’t get changed in the next 2-4 years.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
My solution? Turn it into a contest like AFL marking. There it is only penalised if it is clear and obvious pushing in the back and players jump on their own. The players are taught to look after themselves in the air and given the number of marking contests in a senior game there are surprisingly few concussions that result from marking and virtually none where the player lands on his head.

AFL concussions usually occur when players are contacted by the opponents hip while his head is over the ball.

Just make the lifter responsible to bring the player to ground safely (ban lifters at a hearing after the game who lose control of their lifted player) and the aerial contest will morph into a series of spectacular marking contests and next to no injuries.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It goes wrong often enough. It is inherently dangerous and a law suit waiting to happen.

At a time when the law makers are acutely aware of their duty of care I’d be amazed it didn’t get changed in the next 2-4 years.

Well I think it may well get changed too TSR, I actually wonder why we haven't had this discussion before, same as taking out players in the air law, we have all seen players Red carded for competing for the ball etc, but until it from the team we support we don't probably see the injustice of some of these calls. I know a lot of us probably think no holding the player in the air to catch a kick off, so more players will run forward from both teams to compete for kick off, I actually think this will result in a lot of collisions and then we go through the whole discussion again!

Reactions: TSR
Status
Not open for further replies.