• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Ireland - 3rd test - Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...labies-to-series-victory-20180619-p4zmg3.html

“Jake’s got a lot of work to do in these few days to get the detail and try and get on top of things there,” Phipps said. “He’d be ready to go regardless. It’s a good opportunity for him to learn and soak it all up. In a few years, he should be pushing to be a mainstay.”

The arrogance in this comment bewilders me. He's already pushing for mainstay mate, in fact he's beat you to it for half of this year because he's a phenomenal support player, actually knows how to pass, makes the right decision and has a strong running game.

Gordon to start. Powell to bench. Phipps back to grade to learn how to be a halfback.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Problem is, who have we got to get us over the gain line? That's why I'd have The Thor in the starting side. Why wait till the 50-60min mark to bring him on when he can have the same impact from the start. Game can be gone by the 60min mark.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Timu actually played the entire first half of Test 2 with a busted ankle after his first linebreak carry in the game. Availabiltiy is questionable this week, it is touch and go. I’d expect Chieka to make some changes for this game;

1. Sio
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Rodda
5. Coleman
6. Tui
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
13. Kerevi
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Fainga'a
17. Robertson
18. Tupou
19. Simmons
20. Timu (Hanigan)
21. Samu
22. Powell
23. Hodge

This is pretty close to the team I think Cheika will pick. I think he'll stick with BPA, you could see Latu is still too much of a penalty magnet and clearly isn't up for much more than 40 min at best. I'd like to see him bring in Tupou but he won't do that and I do see the logic behind that.
I think if we're rolling with Simmons on your bench I don't see any point in bringing in Hanigan, they are essentially the same player, although I think we could see Hanigan come in for Simmons as Simmons hasn't yet do much good in the series.

I would really like to see them make better use of Kerevi, although he's in a similar situation to Timu; for whatever reason this series the team hasn't been in the position where they can show what it is that they bring to the team. Although never of them have exactly been poor. Tui get's into the XV because he's been very physically dominate and that's something we just haven't seen enough from the Wallabies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...labies-to-series-victory-20180619-p4zmg3.html

“Jake’s got a lot of work to do in these few days to get the detail and try and get on top of things there,” Phipps said. “He’d be ready to go regardless. It’s a good opportunity for him to learn and soak it all up. In a few years, he should be pushing to be a mainstay.”

The arrogance in this comment bewilders me. He's already pushing for mainstay mate, in fact he's beat you to it for half of this year because he's a phenomenal support player, actually knows how to pass, makes the right decision and has a strong running game.

Gordon to start. Powell to bench. Phipps back to grade to learn how to be a halfback.
Are you sure he wasn't winking while he said that last line?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The change in kicking strategies between the first and second tests was a bit eyebrow-raising. It was happening with such regularity that I'm not really certain it can be put up to simply "decision making" when multiple guys are doing it, repeatedly, despite it also failing pretty much every time they tried to do it.

Forwards also stopped competing at the contact zone as a group and the teeth of our defense fell out almost completely.

Not really sure why we struggle so much to just do things the same as we had done them before, especially when the playing group is demonstrably capable of executing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Larkham seems to have a different impression of Phipp's abilities going on his comments last night on kick n chase, but hey, what would he know?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Phipps comments seem to be a pretty accurate reflection of reality.

But aside from that, what else was he meant to say? "Oh, yeah Jake's got all the right attributes and is better than me and he'll not only unseat me but Will as well and will be no.1 halfback for the Wallabies by the end of the RC".

I don't doubt that he'll lose his Wallabies spot at some point in the near future and even if he knows that is he really going to promote it?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Because an Australian assistant coach would come out and say our halfback hasn't got a great box kick, rushes too much and fires the ball as accurately as a shotgun?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

And reading between the lines of his comments, he also seemed to be more impressed with Joe Powell than either of the others.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
But aside from that, what else was he meant to say? "Oh, yeah Jake's got all the right attributes and is better than me and he'll not only unseat me but Will as well and will be no.1 halfback for the Wallabies by the end of the RC".

I don't doubt that he'll lose his Wallabies spot at some point in the near future and even if he knows that is he really going to promote it?
He could say "he's relishing the time with us and going great".

Instead we went a route which was just shit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He could say "he's relishing the time with us and going great".

Instead we went a route which was just shit.

You have no idea what the question was he was asked.

Journo: "Jake Gordon only joined the squad on Monday. Will he be ready to play if required on Saturday?"

Phipps basically said that he had a lot of work to do to get up to speed this week but would be ready to go. It's a great opportunity for him. In a few years he'll likely be in each squad rather than joining it late due to an injury.

He hasn't said a single negative thing about Gordon. He also hasn't provided a nothing response that people also love complaining about.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quick as a flash, usual crew to the rescue...

What I wrote still would have worked and his original response is why professional peeps are coached to give nonommittal answers - because it is the professional thing to do. Professional is Everything that phipps has demonstrated he isn't.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Quick as a flash, usual crew to the rescue.

Well, you're the guy who keeps suggesting that dropping a player or saying something that could potentially be perceived as negative about them ruins careers so I guess we all have our place.

Status
Not open for further replies.