• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Kangaroos ?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

royboi

former league first grader Phil Franks proposed this.

rules:
? 12 players a side;

? Play-the-balls with a six-tackle limit while teams are in their defensive half of the field;

? ''Ruck and maul'' with unlimited recycling of the ball for the attacking team while they are in the attacking half of the field;

? To ensure the game is a genuine 12-man contest, the traditional rugby union front row would be scrapped, leaving a five-man scrum. The rules would ensure the most predictable parts from either code - the defensive kick in rugby union and the attacking one in league - would be eradicated.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/the-hybrid-plan-to-fill-the-coffers-20100522-w332.html

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
yes....

if i was him, i would also be suggesting these "hybrid" rules

13 a side, with no flanker

tackled player "plays the ball" after tackle

tackle count of five tackles before a turnover

no lineouts

"scrums" when a ball goes out, 20 meters in, with no pushing allowed and halfy allowed to put it behind the legs

tries worth 4 points

drop goals worth 1

penalties worth 2

...getting my drift?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This turd comes out every year with some fool from the Tele and / or the SMH trying to polish it into the Hope Diamond.
FFS what would it prove? ::)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
They should be out promoting the Southern Hemisphere Vs Northern Hemisphere show down. Thats where theirs some real rivalry and on a global scale!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What a load of crap! They didn't want to disadvantage any side so they just decided to get rid of the Union props. wank on! and they have the nerve to say union has crowd figure problems after one of the biggest years ever! this will never happen.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Every year O'Neil has to release a statement confirming that it won't happen and if it was to happen no outside promoter would be required

T

TOCC

precisely, this is just some outside promoter trying to drum up a dash for cash..

I would never want to see this game played, IMO it would make a mockery of both sports and apart from a quick cash injection, it would not benefit either side in the long term.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
We already have a cash dash - Honkers Bledisloe.

How about a hybrid where there are only scrums? 8 Wallabies vs 5 Kangaroos plus a scrummie each.
Wallabies can push and Kangaroos can group-hug.
Both scrummies to feed between front rows.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
They simply cant have a hybrid for the simple reason that the fans wont like it. they will claim that it has taken away the tradition from their game.

the only was i can see Wallabies V Kangaroos is:

1 match league
1 match real rugby
1 match soccer/GAFL/T20 cricket

otherwise there is no solution

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
these are some of my thoughts I posted elsewhere about how to win the game-

If I was in charge of the union team I would firstly select a great goal kicker, I would then select around 6 breakaways/flankers who are very adept at stealing the ball at a ruck and then complete my team with 5 big tough forwards who can tackle but also make a bust using their size (maybe big second rowers).

I would set my defensive line on the half way line and give up an easy 50 metre gain to the league team and have all of my guys standing on halfway waiting for the tackle, I would space my ball fetchers in between my other players so once a tackle is made then a ruck is formed and the union team would then be able to try to steal the ball.

In attack I think a team with 5 guys who weigh around 105-120kg will be able to make it to half way in 5 "league" tackles- it is only one hit up each. Once the union team passed halfway they would be able to form a rolling maul and plough on for a try, I think the League team would find a rolling maul or pick and drive almost impossible to stop without giving away a penalty. The sharp shooter would then be kicking for goal while the other 11 players form a defensive line on halfway in case there is a missed attempt.

I think the only fault with this would be an attack using a chip kick over my defensive line.

It would be an extremely boring game to watch with these tactics but I think that the game would be very boring and negative as the bragging rights would be so huge that an ugly win would be a good result for the winners

C

chief

Look Australian Rugby isn't rich. This game could create a lot of cash coming there way. Like Millions of dollars coming there way. I think its worth a crack, even if its a failure, there's still cash. A sell out ANZ crowd, tv rights deals, shit load of sponsorship. Make it the Gatorade Cross Rugby Series or some shit like that. Money, money, money.

As you can see I'm a sell out.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
cash is a comparitive figure, if league, rugby's main competitior gets the same amount of cash, it does nothing for our game.

C

chief

RugbyFuture said:
cash is a comparitive figure, if league, rugby's main competitior gets the same amount of cash, it does nothing for our game.

I think you're League hating antics have clouded the argument. It's not about which code is more richer, the money could be split between the Super Rugby teams, and upgrading venues or such, or developing Rugby towns.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
They tried the one game league, one game union a few years ago here (late 90's?) with Bath vs St Helens(?)

Was pretty much an utter waste of time as you just saw everything you already knew:
The shapes and sizes in union don't adapt well to overgrown touch footy that is league
Mungo's haven't got a clue at the breakdown, scrum or lineout time (in fact, I think they ditched the lineouts?)

Each code won it's "home' game comfortably.

The only difference back then was that Union was barely professional. As such the league conditioning shone through at that time. Without the set piece Rugby's always onto a loser.

All in all it was a bit of a farce and both sides just ended up looking kinda stupid.

I don't believe for a minute it would make the money being spouted either

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bath played Wigan. You were right about rugby not having the conditioning, Gagger, Wigan won the league game comfortably and got done by a smaller margin in the union match.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
chief said:
RugbyFuture said:

I think you're League hating antics have clouded the argument. It's not about which code is more richer, the money could be split between the Super Rugby teams, and upgrading venues or such, or developing Rugby towns.

and league would match that money with pouring the money into those same towns which rugby was trying to take, thus keeping it equal.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Thing is, now that we have the conditioning, fifteen years on, and the defensive systems, the boganballers would be right up against it in League. And even back in 1995/6, Bath took a conscious decision not to just grind the life out of the leaguies with mauls and scrums going thirty yards every time. But do it now, and you would. The boofballers would have not the slightest clue how to maul, or the slightest idea of just how it drains the life out of every bit of you. They'd be out on their feet, but the rugby players would just keep going through them like a battleship through a butter duck, pausing only to scrape the mungos off the bottom of their boots. Repeat.

Of course, the main reason why it can't be done is this; a boofballer would end up with a broken neck in the scrums.

Simply; we can now do what they do. They can't do what we do, as many failed attempts at conversion have shown. And their forwards most certainly can't do what we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.