• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Russia - last game before the QFs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Actually, it's about balancing good midfield defence with attacking opportunities...

We're now probably forced back into a Cooper/Barnes flyhalf combo, which is good attack but not as strong in defence...

Barnes' bootlace tackles at inside centre doesn't halt the opposition momentum, and provides them with offloading opportunities...

Barnes was great last night playing in his natural position at flyhalf, and it would've been great to see him there within the context of our best xv...

Agree with slim and I think this situation just highlights the importance of a fit Pocock. With the attacking player going down via a low tackle, the opportunity for Pocock to come in quickly over top will present itself. The loosies are going to have to be on their game and if Pocock is on song, then are forwards should take inspiration from him and lift their own game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Can't see them being used as subs this week, McCabe possibly is gone, Horne probably only slightly more chance to play on. I would start Sharpe / Horwill, Vicks on bench. Otherwise agree. Love to see Higgers start and show us what he can do other than 10 mins showboating on the wing (which is not a slight at him, but all he has been offered lately, which is a waste).

I meant their replacements.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
We all know why - he's excellent on defense but hasn't shown any flair in attack.

This is a very important point, we dont need 15 players who have attacking flair, we only really need one at a minimum and 14 who are awesome at defence.

"running" attractive rugby is nice to watch but this is the world cup, and winning the trophy 3-0 will do me just fine.

I think before anyone is critisized for lack of attacking ability you need to look at their defensive performances. If you look at a guy like a fit A Fainga'a, I doubt he will ever score a hat trick against a top tier team, but he will certainly stop a hat trick being scored through his chanel. This is why QC (Quade Cooper) is hidden, if we leave no gaps where opponants can score then we have done half the job. We then only need to score 1 more point than what we concede.

I for one am not a McCabe fan, but do see his value to the team and would have gladly kept him in for the good of the team. Sometimes as a fan you have to swallow your pride and admit that some players you dont like are the best option for the team.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
When was the last time we won 5 straight games ?

When was the last time we played USA and then Russia? We really only have to win 3 difficult games in a row.... Just like every other team in the quarters.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
So Palu is coming home.
Beale, Ioane, Fainga'a, Horne and McCabe are out for this game.

Anyone want to try guess a side for this match?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
15. Cooper
14. Samo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Mitchell
10. Barnes
9. Burgess
8. McCalman
7. Pocock
6. Higginbotham
5. Sharpe
4. Horwill
3. Slipper
2. Moore
1. Kepu

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hmm Fainga'a will NOT be right

15 JOC (James O'Connor)
14 Mitchell
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12 Barnes
11 Burgess
10 Cooper
9 Genia
8 Samo
7 Pocock
6 McCalman
5 Horwill
4 Sharpe
3 Maafu
2 TPN
1 Slipper

16 Fainga'a
17 Kepu
18 Simmons
19 Rocky
20 Higgers (covering centres)
21 Phipps
22 Deans

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Really? I love patty mccabe, he is a very industrious performer. But Rob Horne is so far superior to him, even with all the rust crusting his joints and timing. Rob Horne is a superstar, however, I just can't help but feel he and Ben Tune will become very good mates in the future.

How can Horne be considered superior when he spends more time with the medics than with the team? Surely to be a "superior" player you have to play at least a full 80 and back it up again the following week? I just can't see how Horne can be considered staring 15 material when he is so fragile?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Just a wild suggestion (with Fainga'a will possibly be ruled out in mind).

Why not have Burgess starting at 9 with Genia at 10. It'd allow Cooper to move to 15 and Barnes to stay at 12.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
Could we have our three fit halfbacks and three fit hookers all in the same squad?

Burgess- starting 9
Phipps- starting wing
Genia- reserve
Moore- starting 2
Faainga- back up 7 and 2
TPN- back up 6 & 8

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My guess is that we'll either see Samo or Phipps on the wing. I'd be very surprised if we play halfbacks at 9 and 10.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
We really should be sending one of Horne or McCabe home, no point having a barley fit 22 going into the Quaters. Bring over Turner or Morahan, we don't need another center.

Beale will probably sit on the bench but not come on.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I'd like to see most guys who will be starting in the QF playing their usual spot if it can be helped as much as id love to see Genia have a shot at 10.

1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Vicks
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Higgers (likely McCalman)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Samo
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

16. TPN
17. Alexander
18. Sharpe/Simmons
19. Fainga'a
20. McCalman
21. Burgess
22. Phipps

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
With 4 fit locks there is a chance that we could see them all in the 22 and have Horwill move to 6 later in the game.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I just don't f***n get it!!!! We have a 30 man squad at this world cup and we are looking at the possibility of having our forwards as our backup centers????? WTF !!! Why are we in this damn situation? Yes, injuries I know, but surely someone needs to be sent home so we can get some fit bodies into the fold. Do we really need 3 halfbacks and three hookers? We have talented players sitting at home that are surely on par with some of the guys that are carrying injuries. Is Mr Deans seriously going to pair up a guy with a fractured cheekbone and another with a dodgy shoulder in the knockout stages of a world cup. It is not frickin' tiddly winks out there on the field and I think it would be a somewhat reassuring to know that the guys taking the field had better and a 50/50 chance of seeing out the entire match. I am a big fan of Horne but I just don't understand the logic in him being more worthy or valuable to the side than Taps, Morahan or Gits when he has a busted face and similarly with McCabe and his shoulder. Surely any of three guys at home pose less of a risk to our success than an injured Horne & McCabe. How much footy has Horne played this year anyway? Maybe I am just a moron and don't get it. Deans come with some pretty solid credentials but I just can not understand his logic in relation to player management.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Putting Tapuai or Morahan into the team who have zero test experience and haven't trained with the squad for over a month would seem like a massive risk to me.

Giteau less so due to his vast experience, but Deans clearly has other issues for not wanting him involved.

Losing three centres in one game is a highly unlikely situation any way you look at it. Two of them are going to be available in one week's time, only missing the game against Russia.

I think it would be an entirely different kettle of fish if we were about to play Ireland or Italy in our final pool game, but we're not.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think an SOS to George Smith really makes sense now...

Play him at flyhalf or inside centre this weekend, and then he can act as openside backup...

Smith/Higgers centre combination?

*cough*

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Putting Tapuai or Morahan into the team who have zero test experience and haven't trained with the squad for over a month would seem like a massive risk to me.

Better then having Samo start on the wing and have Higginbotham as a cover center. They need to be brought over.

Status
Not open for further replies.