• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought Murray bored in on the last scrum, and the second last wheeled.

I thought the breakdown wasn't policed at all.

Barnes was terrible. The centres didn't get any ball all night. Kicks were terrible. He's not dangerous.

Was Hooper weak on the scrum? Looks like he adds no force.

The scots used the exact same game plan they did 3 years ago, and deserved the win.
Barnes was not terrible. He got hardly any quick, decent ball all night. Where does he pull the ball for the centres from, his arse? He kicked pretty well, apart from a couple of high balls that got killed. I'm sure you'll blame him for Harris' kick too. Watch again , he hardly had options to go to the few times he had the ball.
He's not gonna make something from nothing, but harsh to slate him that game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Haven't read every comment on here yet but surely Will Genia gets Worst of the Match. Not once - ONCE! - did he try to create quick ball. The ball was sitting there, getting wet, and he was looking around and around like an idiot.

Me and Bob Dwyer were screaming at our TVs (I'm fairly sure).

I missed the game. But I thinking Barnes' combination with Genia is a massive influence on the poor performance. Usually Cooper would be screaming at Genia to give him the ball. I knew we would lose with Barnes at 10.

Who else is to blame? Judging from the comments just about everyone played badly besides Digby. Is it worth watching a replay?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
God I hate supporting the Wallabies some times. Why the fuck can we not win these tight games?

And you John O'Neill, you are lucky I don't jump on a plane and strangle you with my bare hands!!!! What the hell were you doing scheduling a fixture like this without a full squad to choose from and only a few days before a big test against Wales!. You FUCKING MORON!

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Well done Scotland, OZ had their chances didn't take them, Scotland did, the scrum that wheeled could have been a scots penalty ref bottled it couldn't for the second, pressure Kick won the match.
Now lets see what the Welsh can do.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Barnes was not terrible. He got hardly any quick, decent ball all night. Where does he pull the ball for the centres from, his arse? He kicked pretty well, apart from a couple of high balls that got killed. I'm sure you'll blame him for Harris' kick too. Watch again , he hardly had options to go to the few times he had the ball.

He was ok, but probably needed to communicate better to the other backs where he wanted them. Too many times he went himself - some his issue some the other backs issue.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)

Scotland used a rush defence to limit his passing options, and my Idiots Guide to Fly-Halfing says in conditions like that with the wind and rain you have to turn them around.

Running directly into the defense wasn't going to help.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
South Africa would have won that by several penalties. Just drive them into the corners all night. Just saying. We should have made more of all that field position.

Yup. Said in an earlier post that we lost it in the halves. The link between Genia and Barnes failed, and Barnes never once connected outside him or could find the right kick. Both had poor games.

Still, don't think SA would be that dumb with scheduling, which is the major factor in my book.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Very disappointing game, but well played the Scots. Deserved their win. I did think Palmer was good though - both in the scrum and his work rate. Given our problems in the front row that was at least something to take out of the game.

Agree. Palmer was very effective. Probably will have the most lasting and important impact from this game. He is a TH who can lock down the Wallaby scrum for years to come.

Another; Barnes will not play 10 again in a Wallaby shirt.

O

Oslolion

I did not expect that score. Top job by the Sweaties. I fear the Wallabies might just rebound against my Welsh boys on Saturday.

T

The_Riddler

McCabe to come back in at 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15, Tomane to retain his spot. Barnes to retain 10 if Cooper remains on the couch, otherwise should be benched.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
If your a good coach you coach your teams to when in any circumstance. As an Australian rugby fan i want my times to fight, cheat, steal, bleed and do whatever it takes for every win. This team doesn't have a scape of that. They're losers, but they're coached that way.

We have some really good players in Australia. If coached in the right way we could win a world cup. They're just not hard enough.

Deans, I hate you.

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
What's the story with no free to air telecast. By the sounds if it the ARU has probably saved many supporters the frustration of having to sit through another ordinary performance. Not sure whether to be happy or totally annoyed.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
4 games in 3 weeks looks likely to back fire. people will be rushing to see the Wallabies after getting done by the 6N wooden spooners - not.

The Big Code

Bob McCowan (2)
I thought Barnes was alright. He was certainly not the problem, or more accurately, the only problem.

We didn't play the conditions at all - going for touch on kickable penalties, but going for goal from 50m in the wet is the best example of that. We were decent at retaining position but then would just turn the ball over by going one out. In the first half, with a gale force wind blowing in our faces, we continued to kick high into the wind.

The real issue here is the ARU scheduling a Test on a Tuesday and a Saturday, forcing a second rate side to be picked. Some of those guys do not deserve to be playing for the Wallabies. If you pull on the gold jersey, you should be the best player in your position. With the exception of a few, the guys out there tonight were far from best in the positions.

Scotland definitely deserved their win. Great defence and much better use of the ball in the conditions. The last scrum was certainly a penalty, but there was little consistency from the referee in that area. That exact same scrum was allowed to play on during the whole game as the ball was available at the back. No complaints though on the penalty at the end though.

I thought Palmer and Dennis were OK, but Timani was awful. How that guy continues to get picked is beyond me. Simmons was much better when he came on. Taking Dennis off for Hooper in those conditions was not a smart move either.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
It is hardly a surprise that we didn't see a well aligned backline in motion with crisp passing and good lines, in those conditions, with those selections, with that preparation.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Well done Scotland. In the worst of weather conditions, it's always going to be who takes their one or two chances in a game, and Scotland took theirs.

I thought we played pretty well, and with the right tactics too. We had the run of most of the game, within the narrow parameters the weather allowed. But we lost... bugger.

Unfortunately we're always going to lose a lot of games in those conditions. We just don't have the skills for it.

And the Scots did great.

Status
Not open for further replies.