• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Pocock is a no brainer. However I'm yet to be convinced of his ability as an on field captain except in the "follow me" style, though it's probably the only call they could have made with Sharpe a lame duck. Ideally the captain should be a captain-coach on game day: a Sharpie or Waugh type, but there is not a forward who fits that description in the expanded squad. Moore is closest and it's a pity that he is so abrasive as he could have been Brumbies and Wallabies captain now.
Pocock ain't much of a captain yet. He's a doer not a talker and seems to have minimal rapport with the refs. Hopefully he can learn fast.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I said it last year at international time, and I'll bring it out again now. What we the public see of players in super rugby games is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to a coach selecting the team. Form shapes the squad, training shapes the team.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I hope Genia has the reins in terms of options as they get around the field. Sookface is growing into his name.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm worried about our attack from 10-12-13, all very strong defensively, but no real x-factor or playmaker in the same mould of the styles of Beale, O'Connor, Cooper or even Tapuai.

Hopefully the ball can reach Ioane, Tomane and Morahan in good space.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you really see Timani as the hard bastard sort? I didn't see Vickerman as that either, just as a bloke who was very gifted and failed to live up to it consistantly. So many fail to remember that this "hard bastard" was a senior player in the 2007 RWC side that got reemed by England at every facet of forward play.

Funny the same pack that included players like Nathan Sharpe, George Smith and Stephen Moore yet you don't single them out for that performance, only Vickerman - why?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Gnostic

Again, I am just thinking about what Deans is thinking. Any other ideas about why Timani was preferred when he played on Saturday night, and has a bung shoulder, and the likes of Hugh Pyle are available, would be appreciated.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Funny the same pack that included players like Nathan Sharpe, George Smith and Stephen Moore yet you don't single them out for that performance, only Vickerman - why?
o_O Because Vickerman was mentioned? Because he was quoted as the "hard bastard"? None of the others have been charectised in that fashion. Indeed Sharpe has born most of the blame for the Lineout and scrum from that disaster.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic

Again, I am just thinking about what Deans is thinking. Any other ideas about why Timani was preferred when he played on Saturday night, and has a bung shoulder, and the likes of Hugh Pyle are available, would be appreciated.

The only reason is what I have posted before:-
1. He has been selected before by Deans and he has a clear preference for those he has already "blooded" regardless of injury status or form.
2. As has been suggested in the past Deans is still trying to find players of "type" that he had at the Crusaders to make a team in that image.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic

I have to agree that the selection of Timani is shit house. A few years ago i was a big supporter in picking the biggest and strongest players but after this season of super 15 I have come to realise this is not always the best decision.

Simply look at the teams which have excelled this year. The Brumbies and Reds who are filled with hard workers (Hooper, Mowen, Fardy, Gill, Horwill, Robinson). The Tahs who are filled with big impact players in Timani, Douglas, TPN, Kepu, Palu have done shit. There best player was Dennis because of his hard work. Put 2 and 2 together... teams with more hard workers win over teams with big strong lazy players.

Pyle should have been picked. Scotland would be a good test for him to get his first cap.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Actually Phipps over White is more frustrating. White has had an amazing season. Phipps has had 1 good game?
I think it's only for this game....or at least that's what you'd hope. But I can see Phipps as a better bench option as he comes on and runs around like a 5yr old hose had too much red cordial, which is the injection you'd like.

I'm not defending his selection, because I think White is CURRENTLY a better player, but I can understand some of the logic for his selection.

P

Paradox

White looked to be injured when take off this week ..he was hobbling at the 56 minute, threw two bad passed and got subbed on the 69th minute. Prior to that, he had been playing pretty well.

M

mon

Phipps over White ? very strange decision given the season White has had compared to Phipps & lets face it Phipps won't get any better, White has got plenty of game growth, perhaps Paradox is onto something, injury, maybe not enough time in camp yet, anyway seems a strange decision but here's hoping Robbie has a plan the kid has a future. Genia a mile ahead but has anyone noticed both Genia & White play very similar games ? & both strong little men

Rufus

Bob McCowan (2)
I hope Genia has the reins in terms of options as they get around the field. Sookface is growing into his name.

I am only new to this forum, but I have said it before in another forum (and before Berrick incurred "footballer's brain", or whatever it was) - I believe Berrick Barnes will get rid of the ball anyway he can if he thinks he is likely to cop a decent hit. I have heard Tim Horan and Marto come up with crap like "Berrick passed the ball to where a player should have been", when one of his passes has gone to no-one. Excuses.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Phipps over White ? very strange decision given the season White has had compared to Phipps & lets face it Phipps won't get any better, White has got plenty of game growth, perhaps Paradox is onto something, injury, maybe not enough time in camp yet, anyway seems a strange decision but here's hoping Robbie has a plan the kid has a future. Genia a mile ahead but has anyone noticed both Genia & White play very similar games ? & both strong little men

Maybe White on the bench for Saturday. He's been the form half, and he was subbed off in the Brumbies game.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I am only new to this forum, but I have said it before in another forum (and before Berrick incurred "footballer's brain", or whatever it was) - I believe Berrick Barnes will get rid of the ball anyway he can if he thinks he is likely to cop a decent hit. I have heard Tim Horan and Marto come up with crap like "Berrick passed the ball to where a player should have been", when one of his passes has gone to no-one. Excuses.

I'll happily debate that one. For all his conservatism with the ball in hand, Barnes got concussed because he repeatedly put his body on the line.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Scotland didn't win a game in 6N this year, but they have two pluses going for them in Newcastle. Firstly, they are playing a limited Oz team, and secondly, it is likely that the weather and ground conditions will suit them more than they will suit the home team.

Like most NH teams when they tour in their summer: some experienced players have been left out to give new players a chance, and others were not available.

Their strengths will be in the forwards and in the knowledge of all their players about how to play a narrow, limited game in the wet.

Their pack will be good in tight work though most of them can shift around the park given half a chance with fellows like 2. Ford, 4. Gray and 7. Rennie being mobile.

Their scrum shouldn't be too formidable, especially as their experienced LHP, Jacobsen, is at home resting.

Their lineout is usually good, as I remember it, and though one lock, Hamilton, was suspended for fighting and missed the tour, Kellock is no mug. The other lock is Gray, the young athletic giant, who can intimidate lineout opponents. The Wobs had better have a strategy against him and use it next year also when he is back with the Lions. Hooker Ford can fizz around the field but on the other hand you wouldn't want him in your darts team because of his crooked throws.

One minus for the Scots is the absence of rising star no.8 Denton, who was injured just before the tour squad was picked. Their backrow will surprise the Aussies at the breakdown, including 6. Barclay who is moved to 8 for the test match. He will work well with 7. Rennie, who is a pain in the arse Poideven type. 8. Vernon will be a force from the bench. Pocock won't have it all his own way and may need help at the end of the game.

Flyhalf Laidlaw is not that experienced in the position, but have a look at young replacement Weir when he comes off the bench. He is going to be around for a long time. The Scots will miss midfielder Evans, who could not tour because Castres was still alive in the Top14 when the squad was chosen. Like Oz, the Scots' midfield will lack bite on attack.

It's a shame that winger Visser does not become eligible for Scotland, on residency, until after the game as he is an excitement machine who loves to score a try. The back to look out for is young fullback Hogg – rhymes with Mogg, and he is the same type of runner as the Brumbies fullback. Like Weir, he is also going to be around for a while.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I have to agree that the selection of Timani is shit house. A few years ago i was a big supporter in picking the biggest and strongest players but after this season of super 15 I have come to realise this is not always the best decision.

Simply look at the teams which have excelled this year. The Brumbies and Reds who are filled with hard workers (Hooper, Mowen, Fardy, Gill, Horwill, Robinson). The Tahs who are filled with big impact players in Timani, Douglas, TPN, Kepu, Palu have done shit. There best player was Dennis because of his hard work. Put 2 and 2 together... teams with more hard workers win over teams with big strong lazy players.

Lazy is bad, absolutely, but Tests are a bit different to Super games. Dick Brown is the perfect example of an honest toiler who simply lacks the physicality for tests. McCalman seems the same so far and Mowen likely is too. The upside of a big strong bloke is just too high... The downside, of course, is that sometimes the dice come up snake eyes.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lazy is bad, absolutely, but Tests are a bit different to Super games. Dick Brown is the perfect example of an honest toiler who simply lacks the physicality for tests. McCalman seems the same so far and Mowen likely is too. The upside of a big strong bloke is just too high... The downside, of course, is that sometimes the dice come up snake eyes.

You make a good point. Escpecially in the tri-nations. However in the case of a Test Vs Scotland I would have to argue a hardworker would have more of an impact. Maybe not against a SA or NZ pack, but against Scotland McCalman, Mowen, Brown should all have a good impact.

We have our imcumbents who are first choice, but when it comes a Test match where several fringe players MUST be picked - all fringe players who are selected to start a game must be hardworkers. Rewarding a hardwoker says to everyone else trying to get into team "you must work hard to be a wallaby". Id like the wallabies to start with this mentality. (it will force the big impact players to work there asses off)

Status
Not open for further replies.