• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales - Suncorp Stadium June 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I understand that Dennis can cover 5, but not at international level. You can't expect Simmons or Sharpe to both play 80minutes effectively. Hugh Pyle has been ripped off here, most of us had him as starter over Simmons when the squad was named.
Robbie Deans. That is all.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I understand that Dennis can cover 5, but not at international level. You can't expect Simmons or Sharpe to both play 80minutes effectively. Hugh Pyle has been ripped off here, most of us had him as starter over Simmons when the squad was named.

With Sharpe, Timani and Simmons all having started before but he was never going to start.

I expect Pyle to get an opportunity over the next three weeks.

The Wobs usually do a sort of apprenticeship, brought in June, learn the plays, act as tackling bags, get 15 minutes off the bench. They then get more time in November with more time the following June.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Well you think this would be the opportunity to put him on the bench then? Hooper isn't needed, Dennis could of been our loose forward reserve, then Pyle comes on 10minutes to go if needed. I'm honestly just beyond annoyed with his snubbing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How have 8 Waratahs been named in the side?? Robbie Deans is surely joking with us!??

Robinson is the best LHP in the country.
TPN is the second best hooker and Moore played 80 minutes on Tuesday.
Kepu is close to being the best THP and Slipper played 80 minutes on Tuesday and Palmer played plenty of minutes in his debut.
Palu (with Higgers) are the two form number 8s this season and both are in the starting side.
Barnes is about the last man standing amongst 10s and is playing for that reason.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) consistently performs well for the Wallabies and there are not a lot of fullback options available.
Dennis on the bench is fine. He covers multiple positions and has been in good form all season.

Horne is the only player that you can realistically have a gripe about and his inclusion has been discussed at length already. For good or for bad, he is in the side.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well you think this would be the opportunity to put him on the bench then? Hooper isn't needed, Dennis could of been our loose forward reserve, then Pyle comes on 10minutes to go if needed. I'm honestly just beyond annoyed with his snubbing.

he will get some time over the next 3 weeks

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is Ben Lucas still injured? I remember him being added to the Wallabies squad and am suprised he isn't on the bench. I believe Barnes hesitation to attack and tendancy for woeful kicks will well and truly be exposed in this game as the Welsh backs are very effective on both attack and defence. Our flyhalf has to be able to provide the backline with options and I haven't seen a whole lot of that from Barnes this year. Hopefully AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) comes into the line and offers some ball playing otherwise our backline seems very one dimensional.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Fuck the small things, I'm just over the moon the we have a 1 on Robinson and a 3 on Kepu.

Yeah exactly. It's a pretty critical selection. As is Palu. We need experience in the forwards and the pack is about as experienced as we can put out there, given injuries to Horwill, Moore playing 80mins, and Vickerman and Elsom MIA.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Horne is the only player that you can realistically have a gripe about and his inclusion has been discussed at length already. For good or for bad, he is in the side.

Horne will be polarizing until he puts together a few good games on the trot at the international level.

Otherwise, I actually think this is one of the more logical teams that Robbie has put together. Front row speaks for itself, including Alexander. Pyle is probably the oddest omission, but I assume that Hooper was selected so that Pocock can have a rest after playing 80 mins the other night. I'm more confident about this game now, but still think the Welsh might just steal it.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
he will get some time over the next 3 weeks
I know I'm harping (?) on the issue, and this will be my last post on it, I'm not disagreeing with you, but he is not even in the squad currently. Douglas and Neville still are? How Deans thinks those two are more ready then Pyle is a joke.

Ahhh *ranting*

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Douglas is really any less ready than Pyle. He has been excellent all season and is excellent in the scrum. Pyle is a better lineout jumper and I'd say should be slightly ahead of Douglas.

Personally on 2012 form, I'd have picked both of them ahead of Timani.

Both of them should be a long way ahead of Neville.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hooper selection seems positive, it gives the intent to move the ball and support the ball out wide

If we had Cooper, Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) in the side we would have that spark as well and make me feeling happier that we could rack up some tries.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty sure Pyle was cut from the squad with Mogg.
so it seems
http://m.canberratimes.com.au/sport...r-to-make-wallabies-debut-20120603-1zpla.html
James Horwill, Quade Cooper and Salesi Ma’afu will all be released from the national training squad in the morning.
Melbourne Rebels lock Hugh Pyle and Brumbies fullback Jesse Mogg are the other training squad members who won’t be assembling in Newcastle.
Brumbies captain Ben Mowen joined the squad last night as cover for Western Force No 8 Ben McCalman.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Hooper selection seems positive, it gives the intent to move the ball and support the ball out wide

If we had Cooper, Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) in the side we would have that spark as well and make me feeling happier that we could rack up some tries.

Yeah, I'd have liked (without knowing just how unready he is physically) Cooper on the bench instead of Harris. But maybe Harris will kick them home.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The worry for me with Timani is his hands. He's coming back from injury so it's understandable that his motor isn't at 100% (although that does add to the question of why he is one of our preferred locks). Some blokes just have concrete hands and there's not much you can do about it.

I'm reminded of the NBA player Kwame Brown -- number one pick in the draft, enormous dude, very athletic, but had concrete hands. Just couldn't consistently catch the ball under pressure.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, I'd have liked (without knowing just how unready he is physically) Cooper on the bench instead of Harris. But maybe Harris will kick them home.

Yeah, you have to think that's why he was selected.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wonder if we really need Fainga'a on the bench with Hooper there...

Essentially, Fainga'a plays like a backrower in the centres... Hooper is probably faster... ;)

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder if we really need Fainga'a on the bench with Hooper there.

Remind me again why we need Hooper there? I'd expect Pocock to play all 80 minutes same with Higgers.

So, Hooper looks set to replace Palu with Higgers moving back to 8, which effectively leaves us with three line out jumpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.