• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales - Suncorp Stadium June 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Remind me again why we need Hooper there? I'd expect Pocock to play all 80 minutes same with Higgers.

So, Hooper looks set to replace Palu with Higgers moving back to 8, which effectively leaves us with three line out jumpers.

Palu will be subbed after 60, Higgers moves to 8, Hooper to 6, Dennis replaces Simmons or Sharpe

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree it's not a great side, and I too am tipping Wales.

But frankly who could we have picked that would radically change that? I hate Barnes at 10, but there is quite literally no-one else (and please don't say Ben Lucas). There is a bit of debate about Horne vs Fainga'a, but would that really change things substantially? No.

So I think it's almost the best side we could have picked under the circumstances.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Pyle on the bench at least.
Why have Harris and Fainga'a on the bench? Better option would be an attacking threat
Why do they need Hooper there?
Horne hasn't been great.
Barnes is flat and needs a break. What's your beef with Lucas. Has been really good for the Reds where ever he plays. In better form than Barnes and Horne.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Barnes is flat and needs a break. What's your beef with Lucas. Has been really good for the Reds where ever he plays. In better form than Barnes and Horne.

Lucas is a decent enough utility player for the Reds. Not a Wallaby 10.

Barnes is not in great form but still has the experience and class that puts him a fair bit ahead of the uncapped Lucas who doesn't really play 10.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Robinson is the best LHP in the country.
TPN is the second best hooker and Moore played 80 minutes on Tuesday.
Kepu is close to being the best THP and Slipper played 80 minutes on Tuesday and Palmer played plenty of minutes in his debut.
Palu (with Higgers) are the two form number 8s this season and both are in the starting side.
Barnes is about the last man standing amongst 10s and is playing for that reason.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) consistently performs well for the Wallabies and there are not a lot of fullback options available.
Dennis on the bench is fine. He covers multiple positions and has been in good form all season.

Horne is the only player that you can realistically have a gripe about and his inclusion has been discussed at length already. For good or for bad, he is in the side.

Time will tell but 8 players from a team that has lost its way this year in a Wallabies team with no plan?? Deans may be having a joke with us.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
iv got it why dont we just have a ozzie reds team that will solve all out problems...Please! Lucas at 10 you must be joking next you will want holmes and daley as the props and hanson at hooker...oh wait

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Time will tell but 8 players from a team that has lost its way this year in a Wallabies team with no plan?? Deans may be having a joke with us.

If Beale, O'Connor, Cooper, Lealiifano were fit and Moore hadn't played 80 minutes on Tuesday, we'd probably have 5 players in the side.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Beale, O'Connor, Cooper, Lealiifano were fit and Moore hadn't played 80 minutes on Tuesday, we'd probably have 5 players in the side.

Yep...

Let's not forget that after injuries Barnes is the 5th choice flyhalf...

We can't afford to go any lower down the pecking order...

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
For all those criticising the fact that 8 out of the 15 are Tahs - Having 7 / 15 Super Rugby winning Reds didn't save us on Tuesday, and as a few others have suggested, most of these selections are from injury and scheduling.

My criticism of the team is that we are we taking two players on the bench who will arguably compete for the one spot (blind-side, as Captain Pocock will play 80), at the expense of a 3rd second rower.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If all those players were fit, Barnes and Horne wouldn't be in the side and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would probably be struggling for a spot too.

If Moore was fresh, TPN would be on the bench. I guess we will see next week whether Kepu is the preferred 3 or whether Palmer or Slipper starts against Wales in the second test.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I think most us here need a reality check. Relative to previous teams selected by Deans, this team is excellent!

No McCalman, no Dean Mumm, no Nick Phipps, no Ma'afood! No 3 halfbacks on the bench! Woooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Nic White finally gets a bench spot as well! yeeeeeeeeeowwwwwwwwwww

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For all those criticising the fact that 8 out of the 15 are Tahs - Having 7 / 15 Super Rugby winning Reds didn't save us on Tuesday, and as a few others have suggested, most of these selections are from injury and scheduling.

My criticism of the team is that we are we taking two players on the bench who will arguably compete for the one spot (blind-side, as Captain Pocock will play 80), at the expense of a 3rd second rower.

It's actually 8 out of the 22. Although the only Tah on the bench is Dennis which makes it 7 out of the 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.