• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales - Suncorp Stadium June 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I really like the look of Hoper at 7 and Pocock at 6. Imagine Victor Vito with Pococks turn-over ability..mean.
This is a similar quandry to what we had in the Smith/Waugh era. Having a genuine lineout jumper at 6 is pretty important these days. ie Higgers. Running a Hooper/Pocock 7/6 combo leaves us with just Sharpe and Simmons as lineout options - getting easy to contest. Is Palu a genuine lineout jumper???

1. He doesn't play 10 regularly for his state.
2. He is uncapped in any position.
3. He is a solid utility but has rarely set the world on fire at Super level.

1. Yes he does. Yes, the position was shared between him and Harris early in the season, but that was the same with Barnes and Hangers @ the Tahs.
2. So was every legend of the game - ever; before they got a start.
3. Neither has a number of players that are running out on Sat night. Barnes rarely "sets the world on fire" but is seen as a VERY solid #10.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The Welsh 22:

XV: Leigh Halfpenny, Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, George North; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips; Gethin Jenkins, Ken Owens, Adam Jones, Bradley Davies, Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (Captain), Toby Faletau

REPLACEMENTS: Matthew Rees, Paul James, Alun Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Ashley Beck

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The teams that played in December last year, we won 24-18

Wales
15 FB Leigh Halfpenny
14 W George North
13 C Scott Williams
12 C Jamie Roberts
11 W Shane Williams
10 FH Rhys Priestland
9 SH Lloyd Williams
1 P Gethin Jenkins
2 H Huw Bennett
3 P Scott Andrews
4 L Bradley Davies
5 L Ian Evans
6 F Dan Lydiate
7 F Sam Warburton (c)
8 N8 Toby Faletau
Replacements
16 H Matthew Rees
17 P Ryan Bevington
18 L Ryan Jones
19 F Justin Tipuric
20 SH Tavis Knoyle
21 FH Dan Biggar
22 W Alex Cuthbert

Us:
15 FB Adam Ashley-Cooper
14 W Lachie Turner
13 C Anthony Fainga'a
12 C Berrick Barnes
11 W Digby Ioane
10 FH James O'Connor
9 SH Will Genia
1 P James Slipper
2 H Tatafu Polota-Nau
3 P Salesi Ma'afu
4 L Rob Simmons
5 L James Horwill (c)
6 F Scott Higginbotham
7 F David Pocock
8 N8 Ben McCalman
Replacements
16 H Stephen Moore
17 P Ben Alexander
18 L Nathan Sharpe
19 F Radike Samo
20 Nick Phipps
21 FB Ben Tapuai
22 Ben Lucas

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He's shown great potential in patches, it's consistent performance that's the problem. Hopefully we'll see something on Saturday. If we don't, I'm sure that Fainga'a will get the call up. Btw, I'm bloody glad Ant was playing in Newcastle. Made a huge difference in those conditions.

Yeah I agree to an extent. But that is the problem, he's shown potential and only in patches. In my book, I wouldn't be selecting a guy like that to start in a Test Match over a guy that had a great game in the same position the week before. With Ant, you generally know what you're going to get. Unless, Ant is a bit sore? Then I guess I get it?

A

AlexH

I agree it's not a great side, and I too am tipping Wales.

But frankly who could we have picked that would radically change that? I hate Barnes at 10, but there is quite literally no-one else (and please don't say Ben Lucas). There is a bit of debate about Horne vs Fainga'a, but would that really change things substantially? No.

So I think it's almost the best side we could have picked under the circumstances.

There were plenty of alternatives...

Props: Deans should have managed his front row so Moore and Palmer could run on.

Locks Fardy, Douglas and Palmer should all have got a look in ahead of Sharpe who has been average.

Backrow: Mowen should have been selected, not Palu, to cover six and eight with Higginbotham.

Scrummie: Cannot aruge with the halfback picks.

Ten: You are probably right in saying that Lucas lacks the experience for 10 at test level but, if I recall correctly, Rhys Priestland only had seven caps to his name coming into the RWC and he had a blinder.

Centres: Anthony Fainga'a, Andrew Smith and Adam Ashley-Copper would all have been better selections than Rob Horne at outside center. The only promise I have ever seen Rob Horne show was against Canada. I know. Amazing, right? Canada. Stop the presses Australian rugby has found a new saviour.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 with Barnes at 12 makes a MASSIVE difference to Barnes at 10 with McCabe at 12. Don't think we will be scoring as many tries this time round.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
1. Yes he does. Yes, the position was shared between him and Harris early in the season, but that was the same with Barnes and Hangers @ the Tahs.
2. So was every legend of the game - ever; before they got a start.
3. Neither has a number of players that are running out on Sat night. Barnes rarely "sets the world on fire" but is seen as a VERY solid #10.

1. He has started 4 games in the 10 jersey this season. One of those games was against the Sharks, where he went down inside the first ten minutes. So really he has only played 3 games there this season. He never played at 10 last season, and even less the year before. So I think it is fair to say he doesn't play there regularly.

2. Are you saying he is a potential legend of the game?

3. Barnes rarely sets the world on fire but he does have extensive international experience and has looked good in the gold jersey in his last few starts- the 3rd place playoff and the limited EOYT.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Centres: Anthony Fainga'a, Andrew Smith and Adam Ashley-Copper would all have been better selections than Rob Horne at outside center. The only promise I have ever seen Rob Horne show was against Canada. I know. Amazing, right? Canada. Stop the presses Australian rugby has found a new saviour.
When did we play Canada :S

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Much stronger Welsh side that pushed us late last year. Can't say the same for us, for the most part.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You are probably right in saying that Lucas lacks the experience for 10 at test level but, if I recall correctly, Rhys Priestland only had seven caps to his name coming into the RWC and he had a blinder.

And IMO Barnes' best performance at #10 was at RWC '07 where he made his debut.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
3. Barnes rarely sets the world on fire but he does have extensive international experience and has looked good in the gold jersey in his last few starts- the 3rd place playoff and the limited EOYT.

Not sure that is the best point to back up you arguement. A 3rd place play-off game he plays well, this is a somewhat meaningless game with a signifcant drop in pressure from all other RWC games, and he was also playing at 12. He is not the prime decision maker.

IMO he is a great 12 at test level and a poor 10 at all levels. But I guess we have no other options :(

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Barnes played a decent game against Scotland the other night. He might not have won us the game but he spent the night getting terrible ball from Genia. His kicking game was reasonable, he tackled well and got involved in plenty of rucks when required to secure the ball.

He was the only back who consistently fielded kicks without making a meal of them. The same certainly can't be said for Genia, Tomane and Morahan.

It is crazy talk to suggest that Barnes should be dropped after the Scotland game for Lucas.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Trying working through the logic of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) @ 15.

He is the safest option under the high ball and strong defensively

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
1. He has started 4 games in the 10 jersey this season. One of those games was against the Sharks, where he went down inside the first ten minutes. So really he has only played 3 games there this season. He never played at 10 last season, and even less the year before. So I think it is fair to say he doesn't play there regularly.

1. Reds have played 13 games. 3 (maybe 4? Can't quite remember) of which Lucas was injured for. So of 10 games he 'started' at 10, 4 times. But he has played there more than this as he alternated with Harris at times and defended at 10 for Quade. There is a difference between starting and playing at 10. But on the balance I will concede this point. ;)

2. Of course not. Your original statement was that Lucas is not a Wallaby 10. Your grounds for making this statement was that he was uncapped. Everyone is uncapped at some stage. This has absolutley no bearing on whether they are any good at test level. Using the same logic, TJ Peranara is simply not an AB #9. Liam Gill is simply not a Wallaby #7 etc.

3. Big difference between "setting the world on fire" and "looking good in a gold jersey".

I'm not saying Barnes isn't any good - I really like him! I just don't get people saying that Lucas is not a Wallaby #10 when he's never been given a shot.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)

I have to agree with Barbarian here. The fact that the Reds own website lists Lucas as a scrum half says a lot.

He is the Kurt Gidley of Rugby Union - a utility who is great to have in your side, but his best position isn't in the starting line-up, it's on the bench.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Trying working through the logic of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) @ 15.

He is the safest option under the high ball and strong defensively

I like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15.

KB (Kurtley Beale) goes to 10 when he comes back with JOC (James O'Connor) to 12 or wing.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Tweet from @greg_clarkie: More bad luck for Wallabies. Joe Tomane off for a scan after rolling an ankle at training. Cooper Vuna running in his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.