• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales, Sunday Dec 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why is Roberts not being used effectively on first phase where he was so effect vs South Africa and Ireland? Worried about Pocock?

M

machiavelli

... Aus have obvious 'off the training field' options and execution in the backs .. a coaching hallmark.

Wales lack that, their play has been very lateral but improved in the W Cup. Hook wanted to play 10 and was never developed as a 2nd 5/8 in my opinion.. Maybe if Henson can sensibly comeback (a BIG 'IF') and we have a playmaker at 12 there'll be more options ? ..

At the end of the day it comes down to coaching as well as talent availability. I have to say that I think Gatland is not the Coach many would think him to be ?

Cotter the NZ Coach of Clermont is, imo, a muich better Coach.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why is Roberts not being used effectively on first phase where he was so effect vs South Africa and Ireland? Worried about Pocock?
To be fair against SA and Ireland he had Phillips at 9 who can just keep a loosie held up with waiting for his breaks. Personally I thought Wallabies went well, have still to see much from Wales that makes me think they are anything but a good Test team, certainly not a top team.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Good win for Wallabies, nice way to finish the international season off. Barnes was easily MOM, not sure how Digby got that one...

Simply clicking 'agree' does not state how strongly I agree with this statement.

Barnes was everywhere, like a fat kid on a cupcake; Digby DID NOT have a great game and was not 'busy' enough to warrent MOM.
Something else about Barnes that we really like, it has been a long time since we have noticed a player simply enjoy a test match and show it as much as Barnes does. He postively shines. While he makes the odd error it is only because his workrate is so high.
It was a fantastic match.
Joy to watch a centre pairing that actually works well for the team... at last!
JOC (James O'Connor) + Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were outstanding.
:))

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Barnes man love going on here

well he was pretty good, he just plays that smart team player role so well.

I liked his smarts to streak around for the try he scored. It made a one on one play into an easy try thanks to a great line and Samo's great soft hands.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Aren't we all happy that some sides simply haven't worked out or don't have the ability to put pressure on our pigs. The Welsh didn't commit to the breakdown and we got a load of clean ball as they stood back to tackle

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Aren't we all happy that some sides simply haven't worked out or don't have the ability to put pressure on our pigs. The Welsh didn't commit to the breakdown and we got a load of clean ball as they stood back to tackle

Obviously did not watch the Ireland tape.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

I was thinking the same thing meself, fp, but from the opposing point of view. Oz forwards stand back to defend/tackle/engage/whatever in the next breakdown as a default action when one more body at the ruck or maul might result in a turnover. We are also that bit too slow to engage the tackled player when numbers might/would result in a different outcome. For me, the Irish forwards were superb engaging the tackled Wallaby in numbers in the recent RWC. This should be a lesson for all forwards to follow.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, if you can get those dominant tackles in & make the rucks a shit fight, our pigs struggle as they generally get back to tackle, so Genia struggles etc etc

On the weekend Genia was getting plenty of clean ball and we looked good.

It was also frustrating (in a nice way) to watch Kaplan revert to the pre WRC interpretations, penalizing players for coming in on the side, penalizing players going off their feet and penalizing players carrying on when after the ruck had formed.

It those dickhead refs would have used those interpretations at the RWC we would have seen better rugby

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I'm not sure why, but our forwards love the idea of a short pass from a ruck from a standing start. I can't really remember when we lost the art of pick and go hitting the ball up after getting some momentum up?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, the pick and go has become a red zone only tactic. It's the quickest ball possible; a quick pick and go when the opposition around the ruck fringes is still turning around from the previous charge is so effective.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
It was also frustrating (in a nice way) to watch Kaplan revert to the pre WRC interpretations, penalizing players for coming in on the side, penalizing players going off their feet and penalizing players carrying on when after the ruck had formed.

He was also penalising players on their feet over the ball with no ruck formed.

Then he completely lost his whistle after he should have given Warburton a yellow card for deliberately infringing under the posts.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm not sure why, but our forwards love the idea of a short pass from a ruck from a standing start. I can't really remember when we lost the art of pick and go hitting the ball up after getting some momentum up?

The Tahs did a bit of it this season, done well it is damn hard to defend against

The trick is to do it constantly well, the Tahs and Aus couldn't

I would prefer to see a guy on the hip driving the carrier & build some momentum

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He was also penalising players on their feet over the ball with no ruck formed.

See I don't mind the ruck being called quickly, if it is done consistently.

Kaplan is baffling, another tweak was the advantage law, at the RWC, you got the ball and they called advantage over damn quickly. In this game it took ages to be brought back.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Loved the emotion from Williams, pre and post game, and loved that he got the last try in his last game. Great to also see Ben Tapuai make his debut off the bench...gee he's come a long way in a year!

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Finally watched the reply, again deans wanted to kick the ball away. over this fucken Idiot coach. (venting) good against the Bar Bar's when we ran the ball... Even though it was made up team but still.

Forward wise Salesi Ma'afu is disgustingly over weight and slow, Tatafu Polota-Nau again I think is one of the problems is the scrum.... Few replays show that he hooks way to late or not at all in some games....

But some good things happened..... Barnes love from me to, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cracker, JOC (James O'Connor) tough little prick, would have been nice to see Barnes and Cooper through the World Cup but anyways.

Forgot how quiet it is in the stadium over there through the game.....

Status
Not open for further replies.