• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Who were the better " ball running forward we had on the field" last year

Deans liked a set up off first phase lineout by a crash ball last year.

This comment says much more about Deans' coaching abilities than Timani's playing abilities. When you run a full lineout this opens space for your backs to run havoc. A prime example was the Mitchell try last week. It was a very simple run-around move by Brendan Mckibben (a player unrated by most on this forum) followed by a standard fullback entry into the line to draw the winger and a clear run to the corner. Yet it looked very difficult to stop. Maybe the Blues winger should have stayed out, giving Folau a clear run to the line. Maybe Piutau should have been quicker to come across in cover, but the midfield dummy runners held him up.

I do have Oldtimers, but last year I don't remember any big-forward crash ball off a lineout on half way being anywhere near as effective for the Wallabies as this simple backline move generated with space and speed. The national coach does not have the rugby imagination to comprehend this.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Personally I'd like to see Gill, Hooper and Smith all play some role in the Lions Series. It should be a horses for course approach as all three players bring something different to the table (Smith - versatility, experience, good link play, Gill - Strongest over the ball imo and has a great tight pick and drive game, Hooper - work rate, explosive speed and probably the most effective with in attack).

I'll suggest that Gill's skill set may make him an attractive prospect for a rain effected, forward based game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Trying to balance form v experience:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Douglas
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Mogg

16. TPN (how long is he out for? If not.... Hanson?)
17. Alexander
18. Ryan
19. MMM
20. Hooper
21. White
22. Lealiifano
23. Tomane/Mitchell/Mafi (really not sure on this one?)

Pretty reasonable looking side, especially at this stage.

Some minor changes:
I'd bracket Gill with Hooper on the bench, especially if Gill's outstanding form continues and Hooper's form doesn't improve. On form alone, Gill is ahead of Hooper this year.

Fotu could also be considered as an impact player if required, ahead of Gill/Hooper. Depends on what you want off the bench.

Dennis and Higgers may also be considered for Palu, if his woeful injury run continues, moving Mowen to 8.

If Speight is eligible, I'd have him bracketed for the reserve wing spot as well.

I think I'll cry if Timani makes the team ahead of guys like Douglas, Horwill, MMM, Carter, Pyle. All those guys this year are much more deserving of spots.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
Harlequin style Green and Gold Squares.

Red patch on the back with white numbers. Good for TV and in Qantas colours.

I know it's heresy but I think it's a pity that green and gold were chosen as Australia's sporting colours (after the colours of the golden wattle, apparently). To my eyes greens and yellows (including gold) are weak colours and need to be used in combination with a strong colour like black, blue, red or white. Together they just look insipid.

A few years ago the Wallabies were wearing shorts which were a very dark green that looked blue in certain lights, and it was a great improvement. Navy blue makes the gold stand out much more than green does.

If the green and gold weren't sacred, I'd go for navy blue shorts, navy and gold socks, and navy and gold hooped jerseys. Or maybe navy and gold quarters, as Hugh suggests.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know it's heresy but I think it's a pity that green and gold were chosen as Australia's sporting colours (after the colours of the golden wattle, apparently). To my eyes greens and yellows (including gold) are weak colours and need to be used in combination with a strong colour like black, blue, red or white. Together they just look insipid.

A few years ago the Wallabies were wearing shorts which were a very dark green that looked blue in certain lights, and it was a great improvement. Navy blue makes the gold stand out much more than green does.

If the green and gold weren't sacred, I'd go for navy blue shorts, navy and gold socks, and navy and gold hooped jerseys. Or maybe navy and gold quarters, as Hugh suggests.
I thought that our national colours were gold and blue until Hawke decreed that they were green and gold.
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/symbols/colours.cfm

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This comment says much more about Deans' coaching abilities than Timani's playing abilities. When you run a full lineout this opens space for your backs to run havoc. A prime example was the Mitchell try last week. It was a very simple run-around move by Brendan Mckibben (a player unrated by most on this forum) followed by a standard fullback entry into the line to draw the winger and a clear run to the corner. Yet it looked very difficult to stop. Maybe the Blues winger should have stayed out, giving Folau a clear run to the line. Maybe Piutau should have been quicker to come across in cover, but the midfield dummy runners held him up.

I do have Oldtimers, but last year I don't remember any big-forward crash ball off a lineout on half way being anywhere near as effective for the Wallabies as this simple backline move generated with space and speed. The national coach does not have the rugby imagination to comprehend this.

As to the Tahs try, Horne & Betham running lines inside and out for Foley stood up the defence and created the overlap

The concept of the crash ball to the centre by a big pig, it has been around for years, David Lyons was once the option for the Tahs, it ain't a Dean's construct, it was also a standard move for the ABs and Crusaders in recent seasons as well.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
One player who I am not sure about is Ben Tapuai.

He had his chance at the back end of 2012 to really cement a spot in the starting XV, and while he was decent he never really shone IMO.

This year he has been solid in all facets but his performances haven't exactly screamed 'pick me'.

12 is a position we have struggled with for quite a few years now, and I'm not sure Taps is the answer. He could be, but is the form he is showing at the moment enough for Lions selection? Honest question, I am not sure.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought Tapuai showed some good play tonight - that nice run weaving around with good acceleration in particular, but had a few lapses. I think he has as good a shot as anyone, although Lealiifano may stake a pretty good claim too. I prefer the idea of one of these ball players at 12, than a crash-baller like McCabe (and yeah, I'm sure he can more than that, but that's what we've seen mostly at Test level).

T

Train Without a Station

I prefer the idea of one of these ball players at 12, than a crash-baller

What I like about Taps is he is neither. He is a genuine inside centre. Not a 10 playing 12 and not a 13 playing 12. He has the similar skillset to Horan. I agree with the comments that he hasn't quite cemented the spot completely though. Was great against Nonu tonight and I see him best suited out of what we currently have.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kyle Godwin in the future 12 for the wobs. Can be the second play maker, can break a tackle and is a great defender

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
What I like about Taps is he is neither. He is a genuine inside centre. Not a 10 playing 12 and not a 13 playing 12. He has the similar skillset to Horan. I agree with the comments that he hasn't quite cemented the spot completely though. Was great against Nonu tonight and I see him best suited out of what we currently have.

I'd like to see some more intelligent distribution and a little more consistency on defense, that is really the difference between him and Lealiifano right now. Although I think Tapuai has the greater athletic potential of the two, kid has an outright nasty step.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)

He had his chance at the back end of 2012 to really cement a spot in the starting XV, and while he was decent he never really shone IMO.

This year he has been solid in all facets but his performances haven't exactly screamed 'pick me'.

12 is a position we have struggled with for quite a few years now, and I'm not sure Taps is the answer. He could be, but is the form he is showing at the moment enough for Lions selection? Honest question, I am not sure.

I'm of the same opinion. I'd prefer Lealifaano or Barnes if he can get three or four uninjured good performances in before the Lions. And obviously be told to never chip kick it ever. Apart from his poor tactical kicking I do think Barnes is a very good player, has partnered with Cooper and him in a dual play-maker role does take pressure of Cooper and allow him to play his natural game better.

The bigger question in the back line is where to put JOC (James O'Connor). I think he's too good to be on the bench. I'd probably have him on the wing and Mitchell on the bench, even if Schmoo is getting some of his old form back.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

He has been one of the Reds best and showed that again vs the Highlanders. Who would you pick?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He has been one of the Reds best and showed that again vs the Highlanders. Who would you pick?
Really?
He must have played the house down while I was out getting the sushi.
I find him unconvincing but I'm not sure there's anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Really?
He must have played the house down while I was out getting the sushi.
I find him unconvincing but I'm not sure there's anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Taps and Lilo would be my 12s, the next in line is along way back.

A prop can stand out by destroying a scrum.
A 7 can stand out by his pilfering.
Scrum half your weaknesses are easily identifiable.
I think positions such as 12 don't allow players to stand out with individual brilliance, it is how they develop players inside and out side. by keeping themselves involved in the play creates space and options.
It is very rare to see a 12 get MOM.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Like IS I dispute that. Thought he had a couple of nice moments but was quiet for most of the game (he was in my fantasy team so I was watching him fairly closely). He was outclassed by Nonu IMO.

As for who I would pick, at this point I don't know. If I had to pick a team tomorrow, probably Lealiifano. But Barnes and McCabe also have claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.