• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If Palu stays fit, he'll be selected.

Auelua doesn't pack at 8 in the scrum and that will potentially work against him. I see him as a pretty good chance to be a bench option but if Palu is healthy, he'll get the starting stop.

Auelua does pack at 8 when it suits the scrum that the ponies are going to put on. They have a loose configuration to their backrow in this regard. They do telegraph what they are doing in their scrums to some regard with this.

Selector have to look at what the individual sides are using the players for. and Mowen on Brumbies feed most often packs at 8 simply because in my mind he is faster from a standing start than Auelua as evidenced by his break down the blindside for the Brumbies against the Reds.

The primary motivator to select Palu for the Wallabies, as with selection of Timani is to get over the gain line from static ball and from first phase like a lineout. In this regard Auelua has executed more consistently than Palu. The secondary motivator is dominant defence and I would argue that again Auelua is in front for this as well.

I agree hwoever that none of this will matter and Palu will be selected, for the same reasons I believe Timani will also be selected, unless of course we see Deans take a totally new direction with game overview (I struggle to call it tactics and game plans for him).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree that Palu is just selected for his ball running. He routinely has been the Wallabies second highest tackler after the 7. He gets through a huge amount of work and he provides strong ball running.

I would agree that Auelua is a stronger ball runner than Palu, but I think Palu has a stronger all around game.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Palu is miles away from the palu of old. He should not be considered at this stage. Brown would even be a better selection ATM

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Braveheart - I said primary and secondary motivators for Palu's selection. If you want workrate then McCalman is a better selection than Palu and most definitely Shatz. The only feature that Palu has to outshine those two is his dominance with ball in hand and defence, and that is the point of my post, Auelua beats him in both those points, but I wouldn't regard him as an 80 minute player.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Braveheart - I said primary and secondary motivators for Palu's selection. If you want workrate then McCalman is a better selection than Palu and most definitely Shatz. The only feature that Palu has to outshine those two is his dominance with ball in hand and defence, and that is the point of my post, Auelua beats him in both those points, but I wouldn't regard him as an 80 minute player.
Good points but how often does palu go
80 minutes these days ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good points but how often does palu go
80 minutes these days ?

He played 80 minutes in the third Wales test last year in Australia and then 80 minutes against England, Italy and Wales on the EOYT.

He was close to the Tahs best forward (along with Hooper) in his first match back in the starting lineup against the Chiefs on Friday playing 60 odd minutes. I think he offers the best all around game of our number 8s and that is the reason he will start for the Wallabies if he's fit.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
yes i agree that Palu is a lock for 8 (provided he's fit).

I still wont be surprised to see TPN start. Deans seems to like him in the starting role.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Try-ranosaurus's Wallaby 30 man squad for the Lion's tour....

Props:
Alexander (Brumbies: Loosehead / Tighthead), Robinson (Waratahs: Loosehead), Palmer (Brumbies: Tighthead), Slipper (Reds: Tighthead).

I've gone for a balance of two primary tighthead scrummagers and two primary loosehead scrummagers. Of course, Alexander and Slipper (to some extent) can scrummage on both sides of the scrum. With the Lion' boasting some good scrummagers such as Adam Jones, I think the scrumamging prowess of Dan Palmer is vital to the Wallabies forward pack.

Lucky: Palmer (he's off to France come the end of the season)
Unlucky: Kepu, Holmes, Cowan, Ryan.

Hookers:
Moore (Brumbies), Polota Nau (Waratahs)

I think these two select themselves. I know there is a group of people north of the tweed that would be calling for the inclusion of Hanson at the expense of Taf, but TPN does have a great deal of experience, is a strong scrummager and can be damaging in defence (yes, I conceed he can be damaging to himself).

Lucky: TPN
Unlucky: Hanson,

Second Row:
Horwill (Reds: Captain), Douglas (Waratahs), McMenimum (Force), Simmons (Reds)

Horwill has charged back into Super Rugby and is gathering an ominous head of steam before the Lion's series, he and his partner will be crucial to Wallabies succes. McMenimum reminded me of why I was absolutely gutted when he left for Japan, hard and abbrasive he throws himself into everything. Douglas and Simmons have had slowish starts to their respective Super campaigns, but both are begining to find form and both have been impressive over the last couple of rounds. Timani will be on Dean's radar and seems to be improving somewhat, I feel that a Wallabies team with both him and Palu / Auela would be way out of balance.

Lucky: McMenimum (considering a 6 week lay-off), Simmons
Unlucky: Timani, Pyle, Carter

Openside:
Gill (Reds), Hooper (Waratahs), Smith (Brumbies)

Hooper and Gill will be close to the first two selected for this squad, and rightfully so. Gill has been close to the Australian player of the tournament thus far and Hoops played some great rugby against the Europeans last year. Will Smith feature? I understand the arguments both for and against. While I understand contractural reasons and precedent reasons not to include him, I simply cannot not have him in my squad. This Wallabies team will miss the maturity of Sharpey around the camp, and I think George Smith will be ideal to fill that void.

Lucky: George Smith
Unlucky: N/A

Blindside:
Mowen (Brumbies), Higginbotham (Rebels)

While Mowen is playing most if his football at no.8 at the Brumbies, I see him as a number 6 at the international level. It was clear that Mowen wasn't on Dean's list last year as it was considered that he needed to play with more presence. I believe his form over the past two seasons as well as the fact that he responded to Dean's request and is playing with a more brutal edge means he is in teh squad for mine. Higginbotham, while not in the form of his QLD days is still playing some impressive football in a losing team.

Lucky: Higginbotham
Unlucky: Dennis, Quirk

No. 8:
Palu (Waratahs), Auela (Brumbies)

Cliffy seems to have found some of his mojo in recent weeks and was at his best against the Chiefs. Fotu too has been playing well and seems to bend the line every time to takes the ball into contact. Schatz is still a year or two off and is quite potent enough with his ball carries to be considered for higher honours just yet. Give him a couple of years and some time in the weights room. The Force boys (McCalman / Brown) are industrious but not international players.

Lucky: Auela
Unlucky: Schtaz, Brown

Scrum Half:
Genia (Reds), White (Brumbies)

These two players are significant reasons why their respective teams are the top two teams in the conference. In many ways their type of play typifies the style of rugby played by the two teams. Genia with his enterprising play and White with his large boot and enthusiastic approach to the game.

Lucky: N/A
Unlucky: N/A

Inside Backs:
Cooper (Reds), Lealiifano (Brumbies), James O'Connor (Rebels: Also selected as an outside back)

I am not a Cooper fan, but that is a product of his persona rather than his play. However, to his credit Cooper seems to have put his head down and his bum up this season. The way he has responded to his non-selection in the 'logistics camp' has been impressive. To'omua and Foley have both beem playing some impressive rugby, however there is no room for two rookie playmakers in my squad. Lealiifano gets the nod over both of these players. Partly due to his flexibility to play no.10 or no.12 and partly because of his impressive form for the past two seasons.

Lucky: Cooper
Unlucky: To'omua, Foley

Centres:
Ashley Cooper (Waratahs), Tapuai (Reds), McCabe (Brumbies)

The selection of McCabe in my squad will definitley raise the most eye-brows. Yes, he is not starting for the Brumbies at the moment, but he is considered as a senior Wallaby by the coaches, and offers resolute bravery on the field. Would be get a jersey in my 23? Unlikely. Do I think he will be selected for the Wallabies, yes (well, one of him, Horne and Fainga'a).

Lucky: McCabe
Unlucky: Fainga'a, Horne, Godwin

Outside Backs:
Mogg (Brumbies), Ioane (Reds), O'Connor (Rebels: also selected as an inside back), Tomane (Brumbies), Shipperly (Reds), Folau (Waratahs).

There. I said it. I would select Folau. I think he offers a point of difference to the rest of the outside backs. He's aerial skils are unmatched by any player in the Super competition, his running and offloads are great to watch and his positional play and ball security are improving. Mogg, Tomane, Ioanen and Shipperly are all playing some great football at the moment.

Speight is in my opnion one of the best wingers in Australia and should be considered for the EOYT once he is eligible.

Lucky: Folau, Shipperly
Unlucky: Mitchell, Cummins, Mafi

BRUMBIES: 11
REDS: 9
WARATAHS: 7
REBELS: 2
FORCE: 1

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
A good and fair write-up Try-ranosaurus Rex but I think you'd find 5 props named (because you have 4 in an international squad of 23 now), 3 scrum halves, and 3 hookers.

This'd probably come at the expense of some of the back rowers and outside backs you have listed many of whom can play plenty of different positions, at least off the bench.

With very little format change your comment could be posted as an article to the Roar or another similar site (probably not this one because they look for a certain kind of content),

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nice work T-Rex......... hard to disagree with any of that.

My one and only criticism would be the inclusion of Shipperley at the expense of Mitchell or Mafi......

However, as someone else has pointed out there is likely to be 5 props due to the 23 man teams, so I'd expect one of either Kepu, Ryan or possibly Sio to get the nod......

Otherwise, that to me is the squad.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In fact, isn't there going to be a 31 man squad with Deans to select 25 players to start with then another 6 after the Super round?

In which case you would simply just add one of those props to the 30 you have there.......

But I still don't see Shipperley being included, and in hindsight it might end up being Beale (quite undeservingly) getting that spot if he gets on the field before the series.........

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah but Deans can be funny about that.

Cummins hasn't really played a game this season so he really should have zero chance. Even if he had played a game, his only real plus is enthusiasm and power. He doesn't kick. He doesn't have the best handling or passing. He doesn't tend to score a lot of tries.

Personally, I reckon Mafi is as good, or almost as good, as any other wing prospect we have. He is still the leading try-scorer amongst the Australian teams, isn't he?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Fantastic post T Rex. I think it would be a mistake not to take Ant Fainga'a. Just what he brings to a side will be highly valuable against what is set to be a large Lions back line. Time and Time again he has proven to be the man to drop a big man quickly and kill momentum, not to mention how quick he is on the ball after completing the tackle. He is bloody good at turning defense into attack. If he isn't starting material fine, but this is the insurance policy we need on the bench.

I think you have done a good job in finding a balance across the critical skill sets required, especially in the forwards.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah but Deans can be funny about that.

Cummins hasn't really played a game this season so he really should have zero chance. Even if he had played a game, his only real plus is enthusiasm and power. He doesn't kick. He doesn't have the best handling or passing. He doesn't tend to score a lot of tries.

Personally, I reckon Mafi is as good, or almost as good, as any other wing prospect we have. He is still the leading try-scorer amongst the Australian teams, isn't he?

Equal with Speight I think.. But as Speight ain't available I suppose he is.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But Cummins performed the best of the lot of them.

He has zero chance because of his injury, not his form.

Did he really? He's very one dimensional, can finish but so can the others. I love his enthusiasm and he does everything at 100% but he's not a very smart player or dynamic. Tomane is the best out of those lot.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I really do not understand how anyone could watch Palu last Friday and think he isn't the best option at 8. I have a lot of time for Fotu Aluea, but Palu consistently bends the line, offloads and does key work in defense. I don't think it's even remotely a coincidence that Hooper and Dennis were much better this week in terms of arriving first at rucks, as Scott pointed out on the podcast. If Fotu is there, he should be on the bench. That's it.

T

Train Without a Station

I really do not understand how anyone could watch Palu last Friday and think he isn't the best option at 8.

Probably because he spends about 40% of the time injured and doesn't turn up for the big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.