• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Ruggo Despite his supernatural, telepathic, connection with Quade Fainga'a would be fourth choice 12 at best. At the moment he'll be behind Lilo, Taps and Barnes.

Fifth. Horne's excellent play this year would probably have him second or third in the 12 stakes. And we shouldn't underestimate Rob's combination with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sorry to be prickly, but your post suggests that I (and others) are unable to be objective because I'm a Queenslander.

You buggers from north of the Tweed have certainly given us plenty of ammo these last thirty years. And that's from a rugby tragic who was at Ballymore for the first test in 1982 when the loyal Queensland crowd booed Mark and Glen Ella. That wasn't very objective.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
^ I agree Lindommer. Against the Stormers he really struggled to get any penetration out of the backs. Given the form Folau's been in, I couldn't figure out why he wasn't given the ball a lot more. It was frustrating to watch.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Folau had plenty of touches but it was only ever the ones in a bit of broken play where he looked threatening. When faced with the brick small of Stormers defenders he got smashed like almost everyone else. I thought he had plenty of touches though.

TPN, Horne, Robbo and Palu made solid metres all night. TPN and Horne being the best at it.

That would have been TPN's best game for the season which is good for the Wallabies.

Robbo's form is tremendous and his fitness is possibly better than ever. I can't remember the last time he didn't play 80 minutes. A couple of times he has looked a little unimpressed when the reserve prop has come on and he's been told to stay.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought TPN had an exceptional game for the tahs on the weekend. He reminded me why Robbie rates him so highly. regularly got the tahs on the front foot by getting over the advantage line and bending the line. throwing was fairly solid too.

It'll be very interesting to see him lineup against Moore this weekend.

tommymc15

Bob McCowan (2)
wallabies squad for the british irish lions tour
Here's mine

1. James Slipper
2.Tatafu polota Nau or Stephen Moore
3.Benn Robinson or Dan Palmer
4.Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Dave Dennis
7. George Smith(For Experience) or Liam Gill
8. Scott Higginbotham
9.Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper Must have
11. Digby Ioane
12. Christian Leliifano
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. James O' Connor
15. Jesse Mogg or Israel Folau

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The reason why the NZRU went for Henry over Deans is very simple: Tew and Deans fell out years ago at the Crusaders, something about one's ambition being thwarted by the other. Tew and his fellow panel members adjudged Henry's submission to be superior to Deans's as Henry included a complete set of assistant coaches, which wasn't required in the initial application submission......

Not quite as simple as you suggest. Have a read of both HRH R McCaw's autobio and Henry's (btw, the latter better than the former IMO). Richie could not be clearer that he made it plain to the NZRU before the choice of post-2007 coach that Deans was both autocratic in temperament and had not built a high calibre of assistant coaches at the Crusaders, partly as he was autocratic and did not consult greatly or well. McCaw could not be better qualified to opine on Deans' coaching style and type.

The NZRU in my view showed their class in assessing that total coaching group selection and calibre was almost as highly important to Test rugby success as was the personal skill of the head coach and they were clearly more impressed with Henry's credentials in this key regard (as McCaw makes clear and where Henry makes clear throughout his book that he always viewed the choice of his assistants as crucial to total team success).

We have further and definitive proof of the wisdom of the NZRU's way of assessment as manifestly Deans has failed in his Australian period to ever design and lead a high-calibre group of assistant coaches (even today in 2013 pre-BIL we have no clearly designated Wallaby backs/attack coach). And the post-RWC debacle group of new Wallaby support coaches was principally picked and recruited by the ARU after the prior lot were quietly sacked (but Deans retained).

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Sure Folau wasn't quiet but to me there seemed to be plenty of times that the ball could have gone his way and it went the other. Given that the Tahs couldn't get through them they could have tried more than once to kick pass to Izzy. Foley will surely get better at game management. Clearly the place to learn it is in S15.

In the past there has been plenty of things that has pissed me off about Cooper but he is certainly knuckling down. He is playing his S15 rugby more like a test 10 now than at any time in his career. He is definitely listening to Deans and trying to do what is asked of him. I'd pick Cooper at 10, Lilo and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres, Digby and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wings and Folau at 15. I wouldn't be surprised with Deans going with Horne at 12 though. Then again I wouldn't be surprised with anything anymore.......

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Here's mine

1. James Slipper
4.Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Dave Dennis
8. Scott Higginbotham
9.Will Genia
11. Digby Ioane
12. Christian Leliifano
14. James O' Connor
I'm prepared to say, with some confidence, that Benn Robinson probably won't be the THP, and almost as much to say Slipper won't be the LHP.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Here's mine

1. James Slipper
4.Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Dave Dennis
8. Scott Higginbotham
9.Will Genia
11. Digby Ioane
12. Christian Leliifano
14. James O' Connor

Dunno if I'd be confident with Fat Cat packing down at THP. In fact I reckon our scrum'd be mullered. My team:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Douglas
5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Lealiifano
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

Subs: TPN, Alexander, Slipper, MMM/Mowen/Simmons, Hooper, White, Beale, Barnes/Horne/McCabe/someone.

It's imperative we pick our best scrummaging front row. The back five in my pack should be able to outpoint the BILs at the breakdown while holding their own in the set pieces. I've tried to get a good balance of attack and defence in the backs, that lot should do it. One thing we should be very cognisant of playing the BILs is open-field kicking: we simply MUST execute this well, and we must have a well-practised plan to handle their kicks (a leaf out of the Saders' playbook might be a good place to start). 'Cause we're going to get plenty of 'em. I'd like to see Folau get a lot more practice kicking for the Tahs the next few matches, his decision not to kick when he received the ball on his goal-line in the first half against the Stormers didn't go so well. And yet when he did put boot to ball it looked good. Surely he learnt something about kicking during his two AFL years.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Surely he learnt something about kicking during his two AFL years.

Yes, he would have learned to kick a Sherrin, which is a very different ball. He would have learned nothing about the intricacies of kicking in rugby, particularly as the last line of defence.

It would be a huge gamble to start him at 15 against the Lions. He should be in the 22, but I would be giving him a run on the wing. I can see him really being caught out if he plays 15, against a side with some good tactical kickers.

Cyril Towers (30)
Good looking side, Lindommer. Not too many arguments there. You need a lock on the bench as none of the starting backrow can move in there to cover. That means Simmons or Dennis for mine. If Beale is on the bench my last back reserve would be Horne. You wouldn't need Barnes as he and Beale cover the same positions. You need 12/13 cover and IMO Horne is the best option there at the moment.
Palmer's scrummaging hasn't been up to his usual standard the last couple of games, so Saturday night against Cat should tell us where he is at. If he goes well, I agree that he should start as he is our best scrummaging THP option.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I couldn't justify picking Palmer in the starting side. I see some merit in his inclusion in the 23 but surely he cant start. He has not shown himself to be significantly stronger in the scrum than our other THP options. Slipper, Kepu and Alexander have all looked just as good in the scrum as Palmer (and at times better).

Slipper would be my pick. He's light years ahead of Palmer in terms of usefulness in general play.

Palmer needs some strong performances over the next few weeks ensure a spot in the squad

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I figure Robbo, Alexander and Slipper are locked in as our top 3 props. I think Kepu, Palmer, Sio, Ryan and possibly Cowan are fighting it out for two spots in the squad and the final bench position on matchday.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
Whilst I would love to see Lealifano finally given an opportunity at 12, I don't agree with the blog and forum trend over the past month to write off Tapuai. OK, he needed a break but in the first 2 months of the season he was the form 12 and one of the form players in Super XV. He had one shocker where he had a case of the dropsies, but he's remained rock solid defensively, and been a constant threat when given any space. But the thing I like about him most is his ability to operate effectively under pressure, which along with his combo with Genia and Cooper is why I still have him as first choice 12.
My 23 to play Lions would be:

Robinson Moore Palmer
Horwill Simmons*
Mowen Smith Palu
Genia Cooper
Tapaui AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Ioane O'Connor
Mogg

Slipper TPN Alexander
Higgenbotham Gill
White
Lealifano
Cummins

* I'd select MMM as a starting lock if he can get on paddock and return to early season form.

Folau very close for bench spot.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
No second-rower on the bench, wobbly? BTW, did you not see Douglas's performance against the Stormers on Saturday? Kane's been one of the best, if not THE best LH, lock in Oz rugby these last few years. His play in the tight against two huge Saffer second-rowers was exemplary.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Tapuai's recent form is going to count for more than his early season form. He's been dropped from the starting side for the Reds and their backline improved against the Sharks. Unless there is an injury it's hard to see him getting a start this weekend.

I'm guessing he might be left for the final 6 spots now to see if he can turn his form around.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Surely Tapuai's recent form is going to count for more than his early season form. He's been dropped from the starting side for the Reds and their backline improved against the Sharks. Unless there is an injury it's hard to see him getting a start this weekend.

I'm guessing he might be left for the final 6 spots now to see if he can turn his form around.

This concept that he will be dropped due to a recent lack of form is interesting as Deans has shown with plenty of other players that he is concerned more with historical performance in the wallabies. Tapuai has shown that he plays well and consistently at the international level so why should he not receive the same treatment as Pat McCabe (not even starting for the Brumbies in recent weeks) and Berrick Barnes (about 40 minutes of super rugby this season). If we choose Cooper, Tapuai is the better option at 12 than Rob Horne (Behind Lilo etc.). They have an established combination and anyone will work well with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). If we choose JOC (James O'Connor) or Barnes, Horne is obviously the way to go.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This concept that he will be dropped due to a recent lack of form is interesting as Deans has shown with plenty of other players that he is concerned more with historical performance in the wallabies. Tapuai has shown that he plays well and consistently at the international level so why should he not receive the same treatment as Pat McCabe (not even starting for the Brumbies in recent weeks) and Berrick Barnes (about 40 minutes of super rugby this season). If we choose Cooper, Tapuai is the better option at 12 than Rob Horne (Behind Lilo etc.). They have an established combination and anyone will work well with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). If we choose JOC (James O'Connor) or Barnes, Horne is obviously the way to go.

Tapuai is losing form at just the wrong time. It is a hard argument to run right now that if Cooper is selected at 10, Tapuai is the best choice at 12. He just got dropped to the bench and the Reds backline looked a lot better with FTA at 12.

I'm guessing that Barnes and possibly McCabe will be left for the final 6 positions to give them more game time as well. At that point it might come down to who is playing better as to who gets selected.

Tapuai played a fair chunk of last season and whilst he was consistent he didn't make the jersey his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.